(a) The sheriff shall issue a permit to an applicant if the applicant qualifies under the
(1) The applicant is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the
State 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.
(2) The applicant is 21 years of age or older.
(3) The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that
prevents the safe handling of a handgun.
(4) The applicant has successfully completed an approved firearms safety and
training course which involves the actual firing of handguns and instruction
in the laws of this State governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and
the use of deadly force. The North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and
Training Standards Commission shall prepare and publish general guidelines
for courses and qualifications of instructors which would satisfy the
requirements of this subdivision. An approved course shall be any course
which satisfies the requirements of this subdivision and is certified or
a. The North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training
b. The National Rifle Association, or
c. A law enforcement agency, college, private or public institution or
organization, or firearms training school, taught by instructors
certified by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and
Training Standards Commission or the National Rifle Association.
Every instructor of an approved course shall file a copy of the firearms
course description, outline, and proof of certification annually, or upon
modification of the course if more frequently, with the North Carolina
Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.
(5) The applicant is not disqualified under subsection (b) of this section.
(b) The sheriff shall deny a permit to an applicant who:
(1) Is ineligible to own, possess, or receive a firearm under the provisions of
State or federal law.
(2) Is under indictment or against whom a finding of probable cause exists for a
(3) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a felony.
(4) Is a fugitive from justice.
(5) Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to marijuana, alcohol, or any depressant,
stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance as defined in
21 U.S.C. Â§ 802.
(6) Is currently, or has been previously adjudicated by a court or
administratively determined by a governmental agency whose decisions are
subject to judicial review to be, lacking mental capacity or mentally ill.
Receipt of previous consultative services or outpatient treatment alone shall
not disqualify an applicant under this subdivision.
(7) Is or has been discharged from the armed forces under conditions other than
(8) Is or has been adjudicated guilty of or received a prayer for judgment
continued or suspended sentence for one or more crimes of violence
constituting a misdemeanor, including but not limited to, a violation of a
G.S. 14-415.12 Page 2
misdemeanor under Article 8 of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes, or a
violation of a misdemeanor under G.S. 14-225.2, 14-226.1, 14-258.1,
14-269.2, 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-269.6, 14-276.1, 14-277, 14-277.1,
14-277.2, 14-277.3A, 14-281.1, 14-283, 14-288.2, 14-288.4(a)(1) or (2),
14-288.6, 14-288.9, 14-288.12, 14-288.13, 14-288.14, 14-318.2,
14-415.21(b), 14-415.26(d), or former G.S. 14-277.3.
(9) Has had entry of a prayer for judgment continued for a criminal offense
which would disqualify the person from obtaining a concealed handgun
(10) Is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing
for a crime which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed handgun
(11) Has been convicted of an impaired driving offense under G.S. 20-138.1,
20-138.2, or 20-138.3 within three years prior to the date on which the
application is submitted.
(c) An applicant shall not be ineligible to receive a concealed carry permit under
subdivision (6) of subsection (b) of this section because of involuntary commitment to mental
health services if the individual's rights have been restored under G.S. 122C-54.1. (1995, c.
398, s. 1; c. 509, s. 135.3(d); 1997-441, s. 4; 2007-427, s. 5; 2008-210, s. 3(b); 2009-58, s. 1.)