• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Probation Officers Get Right to Bear Arms

bogeyx5

imported post

Copied and pasted:

http://www.kcbs.com/pages/6437425.php?

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KCBS)  -- Santa Clara County Supervisors have voted to arm probation officers for the first time.
A number of officers, including Laurie Ramirez made their case at the Board of Supervisors hearing.

"I would never go into a parolees' home without being armed because a simple home contact can quickly escalate into a dangerous situation," Ramirez said. "My weapon provides for my safety, but it doesn't change how I do my job. I can still assist with the rehabilitation, while at the same time, protect myself from the unpredictable dangers of the job."

KCBS’ Mike Colgan Reports

Supervisor George Shirakawa made it clear that only 23 probation officers will be allowed to carry guns.

"I want to be clear that my support of arming this group of probation officers will not begin a slippery slope of arming more PO's, nor does it put up a barrier to future discussions on that area," Shirakawa said.

While the measure passed unanimously, a number of supervisors expressed reservations about arming the officers.