• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need help finding a video clip

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I am writing an Examiner.com article about our new Registration Map ( http://opencarry.org/register.html ) and I am looking for a video clip (YouTube or other embeddable source) of a CSI (or other police drama) episode where they mention gun registration as if it were commonplace. But so far, I have had no luck finding what I am looking for.

Does anyone know of such a clip? If so, I would really appreciate it if you could post the URL here. Even if someone else has already posted a few, keep 'em coming. Yours might be a better fit for the angle I end up writing about.

Thanks!

John

Pace

imported post

CSI Miami, since there is no gun registration in Florida. You want the following episode INSIDE OUT (2007) where they query the non-existent gun registration databaes.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=INSIDE+OUT+csi+miami&search_type=&aq=f

The other issue is GSR tests. If you ran a GSR test on me, you'd think I killed a dozen people. All my clothing would come back positive, as would me usually.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Pace,

I watched all of the Inside Out clips and didn't find the registration database clip. Am I missing it or do you think it may not be there currently?

Thanks!

John

Pace wrote:
CSI Miami, since there is no gun registration in Florida. You want the following episode INSIDE OUT (2007) where they query the non-existent gun registration databaes.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=INSIDE+OUT+csi+miami&search_type=&aq=f

The other issue is GSR tests. If you ran a GSR test on me, you'd think I killed a dozen people. All my clothing would come back positive, as would me usually.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think Pace is on the right track. CSI Miami is always looking up registration information or talking about who a gun is registered to regardless of the lack of registration in FL. Actually there are a lot of other things in that show that would make you think that FL had NYC gun laws. It's not a drama as much as a comedy.

I couldn't point you to any particular episode or clip but it certainly is a show that would have what you are looking for, John.

TFred

imported post

This is a great idea for an article. It seems that just within a couple weeks ago I was watching a show and heard such a ridiculous reference.

Unfortunately, we who "know" hear them and laugh them off, while those who "don't know" hear them and file them away [even deeper] into the "it must be normal" department of brainwashed "hollywood facts".

I wish I could remember more details. I assume your time line is typical for most reporting: yesterday?

TFred

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Or at least 'today' :)

TFred wrote:
This is a great idea for an article. It seems that just within a couple weeks ago I was watching a show and heard such a ridiculous reference.

Unfortunately, we who "know" hear them and laugh them off, while those who "don't know" hear them and file them away [even deeper] into the "it must be normal" department of brainwashed "hollywood facts".

I wish I could remember more details. I assume your time line is typical for most reporting: yesterday?

TFred

CarryOpen

imported post

I watched an episode of NCIS where they said that in 2010 all firearms will have to have their serial number micro-etched on their firing pin to trace a weapon from primer strikes. It was the episode where the Director gets killed I think. Might want to look at their series for something along the lines of "national" registration.

Pace

imported post

NCIS LA is correct, that is a new california law.

CarryOpen wrote:
I watched an episode of NCIS where they said that in 2010 all firearms will have to have their serial number micro-etched on their firing pin to trace a weapon from primer strikes. It was the episode where the Director gets killed I think. Might want to look at their series for something along the lines of "national" registration.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

In the first season of Burn Notice there is a car chase where the 2 main characters are running from the police in Miami and were concerned about the "unregistered" Browning pistols in the trunk.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I am having no luck at all finding a video clip! :(

Surely one of our great internet detectives can help me out. :)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I stopped watching most the shows because of how they portray our 4th and 2nd amendment rights as a hindrance to Law enforcement and I know people just accept it as fact.

I have seen many times they talk about unregistered guns and searching gun databases. CSI seems to be the biggest offender.

Pace

imported post

Eh, it's entertainment. Mind you, I got rid of my TV and watch a few shows on DVD or online netflix, through my XBOX 360 and protector, if I care.

CSI/NCIS/LAO are all fictitious in so many aspects, from 15 minute fingerprint searches, to magical gun registration databases, and LCD walls that would cost millions if they were real.

Most of these crime shows occur in cities where there are gun databases, where there are a lot of violent gun felons, and so on. I'd like to see CSI: North Phoenix where I live, where the wonderful Maricopa County Sheriff Deputies are :)

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I stopped watching most the shows because of how they portray our 4th and 2nd amendment rights as a hindrance to Law enforcement and I know people just accept it as fact.

I have seen many times they talk about unregistered guns and searching gun databases. CSI seems to be the biggest offender.

Pace

imported post

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, when you live in places like LA and NYC, all you see is violence, so your mind is focused on that violence.

To give you an idea, I used to catch pedophiles and similar ilk in NYC. I've worked in Federal Task Forces (I worked in 7WTC) and worked for local and state agencies. After a while, everyone I saw was a potential child molester and I became the most overprotective parent. It was because my life was surrounded completely by those people.

NYC and LA has a significant issue that all they see is gun violence from thugs. They don't know anything else, because they are not involved. It's part of the growing polarization of America based on the immediate surroundings. We see something over and over again, we assume that's normal. I wish there would be shows on TV that would show people in all areas of this great country, of all different faiths, backgrounds and so on living great lives in Montana, Oregon, New York, Wisconsin..

Instead our kids are watching "Jersey Shore" where we see the lowest common denominator celebrate idiocy.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is an episode of CSI Miami in which not only does the non-existent gun registry come up when a suspect is in his car but they also arrest the guy for having a loaded firearm in a glove box (IIRC) or at least in some location that I knew was legal to carry loaded in a vehicle in FL without a license. In other words a two-fer for pointing out such nonsense. I remember it because I irritated my wife by pausing the program and then going off about mis-portraying of gun laws/rights.

I'm trying to locate the episode but my memory is fuzzy about anything else that occurred in that program.

CarryOpen

imported post

Pace wrote:
NCIS LA is correct, that is a new california law.

CarryOpen wrote:
Yeah, I know about the CA law, but the impression one gets from the episode is that it is "all" firearms.

Ca Patriot

imported post

Forgive my ignorance, but are you guys saying there ISNT a gun registration database in California ? I was told once that the police could run my rifle serial number and see who the "registered" owner was.