• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun shipment under investigation

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/02/25/1085577/gun-shipment-under-investigation.html?storylink=omni_popular

Customs officials at the Port of Tacoma seized a shipment of 30 pellet guns that officials say could have been modified into machine guns.

An investigation is under way after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers discovered the Airsoft guns Feb. 8 in a suspicious-looking container. The shipment, labeled “Toys and Parts,” was worth about $10,000 and arrived at the port in October from a manufacturer in Taiwan, Customs and Border Protection spokesman Doug McBride said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives determined that the rifles were equipped to shoot plastic balls but could be converted into machine guns firing live ammunition.

“You couldn’t tell by weight or feel” that the guns were fake, ATF spokeswoman Cheryl Bishop said. “Most people would be hard-pressed to tell the difference, and that’s why we were so concerned.”

The metal pellet guns had the same size, weight and appearance of an M-4 automatic rifle, the weapon used by the U.S. military. The rifles did not have serial numbers on them, as real guns would, but they also did not have the orange-blaze tip required for all imported toy guns.

“You could slide a magazine in there. They load and charge very realistically, very much like the real thing,” Bishop said.

The ATF also determined that the shipment did not arrive with the proper permits to enter the United States. The guns will be destroyed.

Joyce Chen: 253-597-8426

joyce.chen@thenewstribune.com

Aryk45XD

imported post

I wonder who was ordering all these and if they are a new type of model. I guess the better question would be how these were manufactured to "easily" shoot live ammunition and why.

Just Us

imported post

At first these where on the TV news as airsoft guns and now they are pellet guns. CO2 powered. One says paperwork inline as they are toys. Now it's not inline. They need to make up their minds.

Going to hold the rest of my comments to myself!

On Second thought:

These lonely, homely, sad people with nothing to do with their lives need to go back to their soap operas. And they need to not go buy these TOYS for their kids if they dont want to supervise them and then blame the TOY manufacturers!!!!

Now I'll hold the rest to myself!!!

arms_libertas

imported post

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms found that the rifles were tooled to shoot plastic balls, but replacement of internal components with original machine gun components would render the rifles capable of firing live ammunition."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35568413

Yeah, so... the replacement of any semi-auto AR parts with full-auto parts would be the same problem... The premise for their justification seems weak...

Having no serial numbers is the bigger problem...

What's to stop someone fromdoingthat now if they wanted to? I have no idea how easy it would be to get the required full auto parts on the black market, but it doesn't seem like full auto parts arevery available to anyone except Class 3 holders.

Aryk45XD

imported post

Wow... I get it now. Damn, even I was misled to believe these were actually very dangerous. It was before I had any coffee this morning though.
...and LMAO about the comment Machoduck posted. That's enterttainment!!!

1245A Defender

imported post

ive done some readin up on full auto stuff and nfa rules and batf laws,,
IIRC as long as you dont have an AR15, you can buy, off the internet, an auto sear and own it all legal like.
you can have the ar15,,, or you can have an auto sear,,,, just not at the same time!

DaemonForce

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Customs officials at the Port of Tacoma seized a shipment of 30 pellet guns that officials say could have been modified into machine guns.

ATF determined that the rifles were equipped to shoot plastic balls but could be converted into machine guns firing live ammunition.

The metal pellet guns had the same size, weight and appearance of an M-4 automatic rifle

You could slide a magazine in there. They load and charge very realistically, very much like the real thing

Soooooo.....? :uhoh:

The lack of orange tip marking is bad because we say no but everything else looks okay to me. :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok, I haven't kept up with modern pellet guns and am not an AR expert so this just sounds like BS to me. Is that really possible without just a huge amount of tooling?

Chris.R.Anderson

imported post

Sooooo....

Problem #1 What do they make these out of? Aluminum at the BEST, if not just plastic. How much fully auto live ammo would that stand up to? None.

Problem #2 To make this problem feasible for discussion we must assume problem #1 is non-existent. How accurate would they be? I say we let the bad guys have these. I would rather have them shooting at me with these things than with any single shot or semi auto handgun held sideways-gangbanger style. IF the bullet cleared the aluminum/plastic barrel it would immediately begin to tumble and miss the target.

I could continue this, but I just don't see the point... LOL

I say if anyone is dumb enough to want them for non-airsoft, let them have it, better that then they convert a real AR-15.

It's just too funny (and sad) what the government will freak out over. SOMEONE please grow some common sense!

CRA

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pics of the shipment...

2011173026.jpg

Aryk45XD

imported post

Basically you'd have to gut the entire gun and replace ALL contact parts (including barrel, moving mechanisms, magazine, etc.) to make it fire live rounds. You would also have to have class III parts to use to make it automatic. There is more work involved than anybody would want to go through. It's about the equivalent of making a moped into a high class drag racer. (Provided if they made a moped that looked like a drag bike) Yes, it's possible but they are not remotely close. I don't really believe it's possible and would defeat any reliability of the gun. I do know it's possible to put a certain .22 in an airsoft frame, but there is a lot of work and you must first have a whole gun to begin with the exception of the stock.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
Basically you'd have to gut the entire gun and replace ALL contact parts (including barrel, moving mechanisms, magazine, etc.) to make it fire live rounds. You would also have to have class III parts to use to make it automatic. There is more work involved than anybody would want to go through. It's about the equivalent of making a moped into a high class drag racer. (Provided if they made a moped that looked like a drag bike) Yes, it's possible but they are not remotely close. I don't really believe it's possible and would defeat any reliability of the gun. I do know it's possible to put a certain .22 in an airsoft frame, but there is a lot of work and you must first have a whole gun to begin with the exception of the stock.
So you are saying you could convert my Ford Pinto into a Shelby Mustang GT500 if we had all the parts for a Shelby? Great! <sarcasm off>

Aryk45XD

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote: So you are saying you could convert my Ford Pinto into a Shelby Mustang GT500 if we had all the parts for a Shelby? Great! <sarcasm off>
Yep, but it would be illegal because the the licensing office wont register it cause it has a Pinto v.i.n. #