• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in NM state parks?

aadvark

Mr. Steve Aikens:

Who needs to be elected to fix what is wrong with New Mexico?

Would you please enumerate some Persons who you think would be able to fix what is wrong in New Mexico?

Furthermore, since this Forum pertains to Firearms, what do you think the New Mexico Legislature will move to do next 60-day Legislative Session, concerning Firearms, coming up in 2011?

aadvark

P.S.: I would Personally like to see the New Mexican Legislature Repeal the Prohibition contained under NMS 30-7-2.4, NMS 30-7-3, and NMS 30-7-13.

Last edited:

99Mark7

I know this isn't the OP's question, but looks like a good place to put this.

I went camping at Elephant Butte Lake, it's a NM state park. I am a concealed carry permit holder in TX and I wanted to know if I could carry.

I found this - http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/prd/documents/TITLE19NATURALRESOURCESANDWILDLIFE.pdf

19.5.2.20 FIREARMS AND BOWS:
A. Visitors shall not possess firearms, including concealed firearms, with a cartridge in any portion of
the mechanism or discharge firearms, including concealed firearms, except during designated hunting seasons or in
authorized areas. No such activity is allowed within 300 yards of a developed park area or occupied campsite.
Subsection A of 19.5.2.20 NMAC does not apply to on duty law enforcement officials.
B. Visitors shall not use arrows, bolts and air or gas fired projectiles, weapons and other devices
capable of causing injury to persons or animals or damage or destruction of property in the state parks system,
except during designated hunting seasons or in authorized areas. Except for park authorized events and activities, no
such activity is allowed within 100 yards of a developed park area or occupied campsite. Subsection B of 19.5.2.20
NMAC does not apply to on duty law enforcement officials.
[19.5.2.20 NMAC - Rp, 19.5.2.20 NMAC, 1/1/2008; A, 12/30/2010]

I also called New Mexico State Parks Division (505-476-3355) just to be sure I understood this correctly. It's seems at first like it is saying that you cannot possess a firearm within 300 yards of a "developed park area or occupied campsite" - which I would be in.

Upon further clarification, I now understand what it really means is that you cannot have a LOADED gun (so much easier to just say that). I asked if I could carry a gun and a loaded magazine. They said as long as it was not in the gun, it was not a problem.

I figure I can accept that... at least if I really need it all I have to do is pop the mag in and charge it.

NMBill

That's correct

I know this isn't the OP's question, but looks like a good place to put this.

I went camping at Elephant Butte Lake, it's a NM state park. I am a concealed carry permit holder in TX and I wanted to know if I could carry.

I found this - http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/prd/documents/TITLE19NATURALRESOURCESANDWILDLIFE.pdf

I also called New Mexico State Parks Division (505-476-3355) just to be sure I understood this correctly. It's seems at first like it is saying that you cannot possess a firearm within 300 yards of a "developed park area or occupied campsite" - which I would be in.

Upon further clarification, I now understand what it really means is that you cannot have a LOADED gun (so much easier to just say that). I asked if I could carry a gun and a loaded magazine. They said as long as it was not in the gun, it was not a problem.

I figure I can accept that... at least if I really need it all I have to do is pop the mag in and charge it.

Until the Legislature gets around to removing the restriction on State Park carry, I carry concealed and unloaded in State Parks.