• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks Carrier Needed for AP Interview

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Greg Bluestein of the AP is looking for an open carrier who frequently open carries into Starbucks for an interview.

Preferably, the interviewee will be comfortable speaking to the press and can articulate the sociological benefits of open carry instead of just describing it as a right. While that is certainly true, we need to push the political and public policy benefits of carry by law abiding citizens.

Anyway, if anyone is willing to be interviewed, his contact information is below. Thanks!

John

Greg Bluestein
Legal Affairs Writer
Associated Press
404 522 8971
gbluestein AT ap.org

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I wouldn't over generalize. There have been several well balanced articles from the AP recently.

The important thing is to present our points rationally and objectively.

Glock34 wrote:
The AP is hugely liberal & will slant this story so badly. Good luck getting any Volunteers.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

jpierce wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
The AP is hugely liberal & will slant this story so badly. Good luck getting any Volunteers.
I wouldn't over generalize. There have been several well balanced articles from the AP recently.

I don't see why we should be defeatest about it, G34. It's avery good opportunity to get our POV out there withnational reach.

And I certainly think we have OCDO members who are capable of intelligently relating our OC points, informatively,clearly andpersuasively--without the extremist stuff.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
jpierce wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

I don't see why we should be defeatest about it, G34. It's avery good opporunity to get our POV out there withnational reach.

And I certainly think we have OCDO members who are capable of intelligently relating our OC points, informatively,clearly andpersuasively--without the extremist stuff.
+1, I will point out though, that not all liberals are necessarilyanti-gun as well.

Pace

imported post

Liberal, Conservative, Republican, Democrat. It's all your fault!!:banghead:

tekshogun wrote:
HankT wrote:
jpierce wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

I don't see why we should be defeatest about it, G34. It's avery good opporunity to get our POV out there withnational reach.

+1, I will point out though, that not all liberals are necessarilyanti-gun as well.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MAYBE i am wrong ( but I doubt it) & yes it would be a good way to get our views out there , if the AP makes an honest effort to get the facts out & not slant the story with anti gun, wave , liberal, Brady crap. <<< I know, I am asking for way too much.

Defeatist no I am not.......but I am a 40 year old Ultra Conservative & have read too much Biased , liberal crap , written by the AP - TO BELIEVE for one second they won't turn that interview against us.

Best wishes to whom ever does the interview.:cool: I know we have smart people in this organization that could do the interview very well, with out the Extremist stuff :uhoh:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
HankT wrote:
jpierce wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

TRUE, no they are not all anti gun....they hunt birds with a shotgun or deer hunt :? but they don't believe we should be able to OC on the streets or CCW for our own protection. :(

Pace

imported post

TRUE, no they are not all anti gun....they hunt birds with a shotgun or deer hunt :? but they don't believe we should be able to OC on the streets or CCW for our own protection. :(
Neither do most conservatives, or any gun owners. Do you know I get more grief from CCW permit holders when I OC more than police in AZ.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pace wrote:
Neither do most conservatives, or any gun owners. Do you know I get more grief from CCW permit holders when I OC more than police in AZ.
:what:eek:k.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

And a response fantasy linked from that article.

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/opinion/ci_14487136
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/opinion/ci_14487136 Posted: 02/28/2010 12:00:49 AM PST

It appears some Bay Area residents feel that simply having a right to bear arms is not enough. They also feel they must exercise that right in a public display that conjures visions of a modern-day Wild West.

The term is known as open carry or open display, which is allowed by a provision of the California Penal Code. Open carry is a shorthand term for openly carrying a firearm in public view as opposed to concealing it, which is illegal in California in most circumstances.

Recently a group called Open Carry orchestrated a number of displays during which gun owners showed up at suburban coffee shops and a restaurant toting their unloaded handguns in belt holsters. Ammunition for the weapons also was conveniently situated on the belts.

More than anything else, we surmise, this display is meant as a not-so-subtle political statement. But we hope those carrying the weapons are more judicious with their firearms than they are with fashioning political statements. This one misses the target. Instead of some grand public lesson, this action is seen by many Bay Area residents as childish machismo.

Needless to say, many customers of the coffee shops and restaurant -- who had chosen not to exercise their right to bear arms -- were taken aback by such displays.

Police have been pulled off the streets to check Open Carry members to make sure their weapons are, indeed, unloaded.

We certainly acknowledge and accept that the U.S. Constitution gives law-abiding Advertisement citizens the right to bear arms. We also understand that the California Penal Code states "guns carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed."

But the open carry of weapons could prompt all sorts of consequences never intended or considered by the person exercising his or her constitutional right.

Members of law enforcement are not enamored with this open carry trend either. It doesn't help them; it makes their job tougher.

We can envision a circumstance where a teen comes into a coffee shop and runs out with the tip jar and the good citizen carrying a weapon decides to load up and pursue the youth. That has bad ending written all over it.

Or, even more dramatically, an armed robber enters a store brandishing a loaded weapon and sees a patron with a gun on his belt. Either the perpetrator knows it is unloaded or he doesn't, but either scenario is rife with disastrous prospects.

We could go on with the "what ifs," but you get the drift.

We will grant that members of groups such as Open Carry likely are well-trained with a weapon. But it is unlikely that they are well-trained in police work.

Besides, how are average, coffee-buying suburbanites expected to know who is trained and who is not. Many merchants are instituting policies that refuse service to gun-toting patrons. We applaud them for doing so.

Yes, the right exists. We get it. Statement made. Now, how about everyone take a deep breath and put the guns away.