• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy accidently drops his Handgun @ the SL Airport

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

I just heard onKSL radio station that a man at the SL Airpot was checking in at the curb with a SkyCap guy and when he took it out to show the SkyCap his gun before he checked it in, the gun owner accidently drops his Handgun. When hitting the ground it made the gun discharge. They said it was a semi-auto handgun (I am interested to know what kind of gun it was.) The bullet it the pavement then bounced up and hit the SkyCap in the foot. The reporter said it was ruled and accident but might be charged with having a "round in the chamber." No mention if he was a CFP holder, but if he is then he can not be charged with anything, this goes to show you that reporters no longer investigate the story they just repeat what the police might have told him.

Note: To all reponsible gun owners when handing over your firearm to someone (especially) some you do not know, 1st make sure you drop the mag (which this guy did) then check and double check to see if there is one in the pipe! I would suggest to do this in your car before you get out in public (especially at an Airport.)

Sorry, that is all the infomation I have about this story from the radio, if you see something online please post a link.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The story claims the gun was a GLOCK, but the photos clearly show a Springfield XD.

17302.jpg

17299.jpg

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9810809

Skycap injured in accidental shooting

February 25th, 2010 @ 5:10pm
By Jed Boal

SALT LAKE CITY -- A skycap was accidentally hit in the foot by shrapnel from a gun that accidentally went off at the Salt Lake International Airport Thursday afternoon.

According to Dave Korzep, the airport's superintendent of operations, the incident happened at a skycap booth at Terminal 1 around noon. "A passenger was declaring his firearm for shipment and either dropped it or mishandled it and we had an accidental discharge," Korzep said.

The bullet hit the pavement, and bullet fragments hit a skycap worker in the foot. Korzep says the skycap's injuries were minor.

"The skycap was treated at the scene by airport paramedics. He signed a release and was not transported to the hospital," he said.

Authorities responded immediately to the skycap station. They determined it was an accident.

Korzep says the traveler thought the Glock semi-automatic pistol was unloaded, but there was likely an extra round in the chamber. He says there is a certain procedure that must be followed when checking firearms at the airport.

"It has to be in a hardened, locked case and obviously the weapon should be cleared and the ammunition stored separately," he said. "In this case, the procedure was not followed correctly."

One witness said he heard the shot and immediately felt a few moments of fear and concern, saying a gunshot at the airport certainly grabs your attention.

"It got a little busy there for a minute, got a little sketchy, but didn't affect airport operations that much," Korzep said. "Of course you had the police and fire response, but flights were not affected in any way."

Airport police and crime scene investigators taped off the area for about an hour while they gathered evidence. Korzep says the traveler who owns the firearm is being questioned by airport police. The city prosecutor will screen the case for potential charges.

rpyne

imported post

I am curious who is handling the gun in the pictures. In the second picture he has his finger inside the trigger guard, which should only happen when on target and ready to shoot.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

rpyne wrote:
I am curious who is handling the gun in the pictures. In the second picture he has his finger inside the trigger guard, which should only happen when on target and ready to shoot.
You like that? This one is even better! :p

17297.jpg

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

Yes, the box looks like an XD box. They don't know if he droped it or pulled the trigger, it being an XD I think he released the mag then dry-fired it and forgot it was loaded. IMO I seen a guy drop a loaded XD9mm not from very high 6" and it did not discharge when he droped it twice during a training drill.

It appears that Cop has that gun resting on his knee, or is it just the angle?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Not only is the muzzle damn near pointing at his knee, in the first and third photo he is pointing it at another officer.

Muzzle awareness FAIL!

17300.jpg

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Not only is the muzzle damn near pointing at his knee, in the first and third photo he is pointing it at another officer.

Muzzle awareness FAIL!

17300.jpg

I hope this is not one of the "COPS" Who advertise on KSL for their CFP Classes Taught by "COPS"

Like Cops understand gun safety more then us cilivians & NRA Instructors! I can not stand those advertising tactics "Taught by COPS"

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

They are professionals and know what they are doing. That is why I enjoy them taking my handguns from me when I am stopped. It is all in the name of safety.

Braveheart23C

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
rpyne wrote:
You like that? This one is even better! :p

17297.jpg
Hey SGT, everyone knows it's safe to put your finger on the trigger when you're on target AND when you are holding the slide back. (sarcasm)

I used to be a cop and we had several bullet holes in different places at the P.D. My favorite was in our city hall where we had multiple striated lines going down the wall from an officer firing off a round of 00 buck from his 12 gauge. :banghead:

PrimeTime28

imported post

I don't see how the gun could have gone off by dropping the firearm. There are 3 features that restrict that from happening on the gun. I own an XD and do not believe it discharged simply by dropping the firearm. I suppose it could have been a Manuf. defect...And great reporting by the media that it was a "GLOCK"

Jblack44

imported post

Bookman wrote:
rpyne wrote:

In some handguns you have to pull the trigger to release the slide for removal.

This is the case with the XD.

Walther

imported post

I will bet he pulled the trigger and then dropped the gun when it scared the crap out of him.

I don't believe a modern gun can go off by dropping it, if so it has a problem and should be sent to the factory for repair or replacement.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

Walther wrote:
I will bet he pulled the trigger and then dropped the gun when it scared the crap out of him.

They don't know if he droped it or pulled the trigger, it being an XD I think he released the mag then dry-fired it and forgot it was loaded. IMO

I saw a guy drop a loaded XD9mm not from very high 6" and it did not discharge that happened twice during a training drill.

Walther

imported post

They don't know if he droped it or pulled the trigger, it being an XD I think he released the mag then dry-fired it and forgot it was loaded. IMO

THEY, might not know but I bet HE does;)

And I agree with your assessment. I guess he could have dropped it and in catching it he grabbed the grip and his finger went to the trigger and in the haste of catching it also pulled the trigger. I think pulling the trigger is the only way this gun "went off":?

swillden

imported post

Walther wrote:
I guess he could have dropped it and in catching it he grabbed the grip and his finger went to the trigger and in the haste of catching it also pulled the trigger.
With a firearm without a grip safety, I could buy that. The odds of depressing both the grip safety and the trigger while trying to catch a falling gun seem mighty slim to me.

Pulled the trigger, THEN dropped it, almost certainly.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
Bookman wrote:
rpyne wrote:

In some handguns you have to pull the trigger to release the slide for removal.

This is the case with the XD.
Yeah but that's clearly not what that cop is doing. First you lock the slide back, then you rotate the takedown pin, then you drop the slide, THEN you pull the trigger. There is no way that what we see is a careful execution of that procedure.

PT111

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:

Muzzle awareness FAIL!

SGT Jensen,

I would like to point out to you, and others, that there is no muzzle in/on this firearm to be aware of. The firearm in the picture/video does not have a barrel or a guiderod.
:what::p:banghead::celebrate