• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy accidently drops his Handgun @ the SL Airport

thx997303

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
17302.jpg

17299.jpg
Hmmm, Either that is the chamber in the ejection port, or the other side of the slide. HMMM.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No, there is clearly a barrel in that shot.

However, later when the slide is locked back it looks to be lacking the barrel.

You know, at first I had it in my head that the XD can look like that from a certain angle (I was thinking the barrel looks like the dust cover from a certain angle), but after playing with mine, I can't make the guide rod and barrel vanish so completely.

thx997303

imported post

Optical illusions it appears.

Last I remember, you aren't supposed to be able to assemble the slide and frame without the barrel, but I've never tried it and could be wrong.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

With the XD, they can be "assembled", but the slide doesn't stay where it normally would lock into battery -- the striker spring pushes it about 1/2" back. However, the slide will lock on to the frame without the barrel, and move back and forth.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
Bookman wrote:
rpyne wrote:
I am curious who is handling the gun in the pictures. In the second picture he has his finger inside the trigger guard, which should only happen when on target and ready to shoot.

In some handguns you have to pull the trigger to release the slide for removal.

This is the case with the XD.
Yeah, I still don't like that part of the take down when cleaning mine. However, the loaded-chamber indicator on top, and the pin sticking out of the rear, is a pretty good indicator of when it's loaded and the striker is primed to fire. The XD is certainly not a sidearm that I would want an inexperienced person handling. When I first got one, it took me several weeks of casual carry before I finally had enough faith in the USA safety system to carry it with a round in the pipe. It's just one more reason I don't want to be disarmed by LEO after sheeple send out a MWAG call. The chances of a ND go through the roof when that happens.

From my experience, the guy at the airport would have had to have a grip on the gun and disengauged both the grip and trigger safeties in order for the striker to let loose and set the round off. Methinks the guy who messed up is covering his arse with a tall tale of "accidental discharge after dropping". Most modern guns will not discharge from dropping them, XD included. They would never be able to duplicate what happened according to the story by dropping one. I would put money on that.

Kevin

swillden

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Methinks the guy who messed up is covering his arse with a tall tale of "accidental discharge after dropping"
+1

My guess is that this was the typical "I thought it was empty!" type of discharge, probably during show-and-tell to the skycap, and most likely due to unloading in the wrong order.

swillden

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Unloading the wrong order? Which step in unloading involves pulling the trigger?!? :shock:
By unloading in the wrong order, I mean "emptying" the chamber, then dropping the magazine.

The trigger pulling happens during the show and tell after the gun is "unloaded".

swillden

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
funny thing is, pulling the trigger never comes to mind... :cool:
I'm not sure if I'm missing something or you are :)

What I mean is that the guy probably "unloaded" the gun so he could show it off to the skycap. In the process of showing it off, he pulled the trigger, and of course the gun wasn't really unloaded. At least he did have it pointed in a safe direction.

I'm making lot of suppositions here, but it seems like the most likely scenario to me. Certainly FAR more likely than the gun "going off" from being dropped.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
swillden wrote:
By unloading in the wrong order, I mean "emptying" the chamber, then dropping the magazine.
OK! Now, I cannot be honest andstate that I have never found myself with the slide held back looking at the magazine that is still in the gun! :lol: But then it is push up on the slide lock, drop the magazine, and funny thing is, pulling the trigger never comes to mind... :cool:
It's specific to the XD. You have to pull the trigger to release the striker. There is no decock function on that paricular type of gun. Unfortunately, you must dry fire it in order to make the sidearm completely "safe" with striker depressed. There is no other way to release it. :(

Kevin

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Guns which are legal for sale in California do not fire when dropped. The XD is legal for sale in California. Therefore, the XD will not fire when dropped.

:p

But seriously, it is my amateur gun-tinkerer's opinion that the XD is immensely unlikely to discharge when dropped from any height. Due to the design of the trigger (which gives it what many people consider to be a "hybrid" trigger, and to many others feels like a DA trigger), the sear cannot simply slip off the striker. The striker must be pushed back against spring tension a miniscule amount for the sear to release it. There is no way a fall could provide the requisite force vectors at any given instant. Only the trigger mechanism can apply the right forces in the right places at the right time. :)

LovesHisXD45

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
It's specific to the XD. You have to pull the trigger to release the striker. There is no decock function on that paricular type of gun. Unfortunately, you must dry fire it in order to make the sidearm completely "safe" with striker depressed. There is no other way to release it. :(

Kevin
I am missing something here because I am not seeing the specific step of pulling the trigger to unload the gun on pages 18 or 19 of the Springfield Armory XD pistols manual. It's not in the manual for my Taurus Mil Pro, either.
lol. I can see how this got misconstrued. You don't have to pull the trigger to unload it. However, to break the pistol down, you must depress the trigger to release the tension on the striker in order for the slide to come off. I never leave my XD unloaded without clearing the chamber and then pulling the trigger to accomplish this. I guess it's just autopilot for me because I feel that the pin protruding from the rear of the pistol means it's loaded, so I always make sure it's not out by pulling the trigger. Sorry about the confusion. For me, it's always: remove magazine, eject round, lock slide back, check chamber, close slide, point gun in safe direction, double check visual safeties (pin in back not visible and loaded-chamber indicator on top depressed), pull trigger, put gun away.

Kevin