• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

walking biking driving camping with my pistol or rifle/shotgun?

Decoligny

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
south to north,, should be AOK, just no loaded carry in calif and parts of oregon.

west to east,, you will need a concealed carry license to CC your pistol thru texas at least.
Loaded Open Carry is legal in parts of California.

If you are in unincorported territory (outside city limits) and there aren't any prohibitions on discharging a firearm, then you are covered under PC 12031.

Ensure that the firearm is not concealed unless you are camped, where it would also generally be legal to have it loaded as your campsite is considered your domicile.

Also be very aware of where every single school along your route of travel is located. You will need to zig-zag your way up through CA in order to stay at least 1,000 feet from school property per CA PC 626.9.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Ensure that the firearm is not concealed unless you are camped, where it would also generally be legal to have it loaded as your campsite is considered your domicile.
I'm going to side-track here for a bit:

Where is it codified that one's campsite is one's domicile? Loading is legal in one's campsite because it is specifically exempted in 12031. And since a campsite is a "residence" (residences can be temporary) it is reasonable to argue that one could conceal, although that is not an absolute legal certainty like loading.

But it was my understanding that legally a "domicile" is one's permanent residence. That's why 12050 should be legal to issue to part-time residences, because domicile is not a requirement of 12050, just residence.

Anyway, to the OP, yes, legal, but unloaded most of the time unless in remote unincorporated lands and handguns in locked case in school zones.

Decoligny

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
I'm going to side-track here for a bit:

Where is it codified that one's campsite is one's domicile? Loading is legal in one's campsite because it is specifically exempted in 12031. And since a campsite is a "residence" (residences can be temporary) it is reasonable to argue that one could conceal, although that is not an absolute legal certainty like loading.

But it was my understanding that legally a "domicile" is one's permanent residence. That's why 12050 should be legal to issue to part-time residences, because domicile is not a requirement of 12050, just residence.

Anyway, to the OP, yes, legal, but unloaded most of the time unless in remote unincorporated lands and handguns in locked case in school zones.

I stand corrected, my bad on the word domicile, I should have said residence.