Thread: Gun fires at Salt Lake Airport, skycap injured

Post imported post

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-gu...,4310561.story

Associated Press
    1:02 PM MST, February 25, 2010

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Officials at Salt Lake City International Airport say a firearm being declared for shipment accidentally went off, sending bullet fragments into a skycap's foot. Superintendent of Airport Operations Dave Korzep says the skycap worker was treated at the scene Thursday and not taken to the hospital.

Korzep says a passenger was checking in a semiautomatic pistol when he either dropped it or mishandled it, causing it to fire.

Korzep says airport operations were not impacted. Airport police were interviewing the gun's owner, who Korzep says thought the weapon was unloaded.

Post imported post

There is no such thing as a gun going off "accidentally". This was a negligent discharge, and a direct violation of FAA firearms shipping rules. Good thing the Skycap was only slightly injured...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I find it crazy this guy "thought it wasn't loaded"... who doesn't check the chamber first!?

Post imported post

It gets even worse when you view the video from the other news sources. The officer who bagged it for evidence is shown pointing it at himself and other officers and pulling the trigger several times.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

May I guess, a Glock?

Post imported post

I carry my Glock 21 'hot' at all times.......except......going to a crowd mingling place, dinner, ralley, school or sort. I then clear the chamber. Thinking a legalrequest to disarm could be done a lot safer should I wish to comply.

Any other time, she's hot.

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    I carry my Glock 21 'hot' at all times.......except......going to a crowd mingling place, dinner, ralley, school or sort. I then clear the chamber. Thinking a legalÂ*request to disarm could be done a lot safer should I wish to comply.

Any other time, she's hot.
    Ya know, you're not really doing yourself any favors there.

You should always carry your sidearm in the same condition, at all times. When faced with an immediate threat, you won't waste anytime trying to figure out which carry condition you are in, or even worse - point and "click" with no "bang" when you really needed it to go "bang".

Just a thought.

Post imported post

I bet Doug is right. I hate those quirky triggers -- and it isn't just Glock.

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    May I guess, a Glock?
    Glock has nothing to do with it; he wouldn't have been disassembling it for cleaning, just demonstrating it unloaded by locking the slide back. He had to have pulled the trigger while doing that... and while pointing the gun at another person!!! I'm sure this nitwit could have managed this negligent discharge with any brand of pistol.

Mistake 1: Not completely unloading the gun before placing it into checked luggage.

Mistake 2: Neglecting to treat the "unloaded" gun as it were loaded by pointing it at another person.

It took two mistakes to result inthe skycap'sinjury; gives all gun owners a bad name.

Post imported post

May I guess, a Glock?
    Maybe.

One thing for sure. It was a goof with a gun.

Post imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
    "thought it wasn't loaded"...
    +1

there is no such thing as "I don't think it's loaded."

There is "I checked to make damn certain it isn't loaded and know for an absolute fact that it is not. Then, I checked again."

And

"It's loaded."

There is nothing else.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

May I guess, a Glock?
    I realize you're not implying that the firearm is the issue, but the type of person who buys it...

Wasn't there a cop who shot himself down his pants with a Glock recently? It's not the Glock's fault. But I've noted a distinct culture preference for Glocks. Certain groups of very stupid people tend to think that "Glock iz da bizomb, yo." An innovative firearm in a few ways, but it's followers...

Reminds me of an anti-christian bumper sticker. "God, please save me from your followers!"

Just like people who "think" the gun is unloaded...

If it was a Glock, I bet it IT'S OWNER instealld this on it:

This picture never stops being funny for me.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.