• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun fires at Salt Lake Airport, skycap injured

rpyne

imported post

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-gun-fires-slc-airport,0,4310561.story

Associated Press
1:02 PM MST, February 25, 2010

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Officials at Salt Lake City International Airport say a firearm being declared for shipment accidentally went off, sending bullet fragments into a skycap's foot. Superintendent of Airport Operations Dave Korzep says the skycap worker was treated at the scene Thursday and not taken to the hospital.

Korzep says a passenger was checking in a semiautomatic pistol when he either dropped it or mishandled it, causing it to fire.

Korzep says airport operations were not impacted. Airport police were interviewing the gun's owner, who Korzep says thought the weapon was unloaded.

Dreamer

imported post

There is no such thing as a gun going off "accidentally". This was a negligent discharge, and a direct violation of FAA firearms shipping rules. Good thing the Skycap was only slightly injured...

rpyne

imported post

It gets even worse when you view the video from the other news sources. The officer who bagged it for evidence is shown pointing it at himself and other officers and pulling the trigger several times.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I carry my Glock 21 'hot' at all times.......except......going to a crowd mingling place, dinner, ralley, school or sort. I then clear the chamber. Thinking a legalrequest to disarm could be done a lot safer should I wish to comply.

Any other time, she's hot.:dude:

Armed

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
I carry my Glock 21 'hot' at all times.......except......going to a crowd mingling place, dinner, ralley, school or sort. I then clear the chamber. Thinking a legal request to disarm could be done a lot safer should I wish to comply.

Any other time, she's hot.:dude:

Ya know, you're not really doing yourself any favors there.

You should always carry your sidearm in the same condition, at all times. When faced with an immediate threat, you won't waste anytime trying to figure out which carry condition you are in, or even worse - point and "click" with no "bang" when you really needed it to go "bang".

Just a thought.

old dog

imported post

I bet Doug is right. I hate those quirky triggers -- and it isn't just Glock.

jofrdo

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
May I guess, a Glock?

Glock has nothing to do with it; he wouldn't have been disassembling it for cleaning, just demonstrating it unloaded by locking the slide back. He had to have pulled the trigger while doing that... and while pointing the gun at another person!!! I'm sure this nitwit could have managed this negligent discharge with any brand of pistol.

Mistake 1: Not completely unloading the gun before placing it into checked luggage.

Mistake 2: Neglecting to treat the "unloaded" gun as it were loaded by pointing it at another person.

It took two mistakes to result inthe skycap'sinjury; gives all gun owners a bad name.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
"thought it wasn't loaded"...
+1

there is no such thing as "I don't think it's loaded."

There is "I checked to make damn certain it isn't loaded and know for an absolute fact that it is not. Then, I checked again."

And

"It's loaded."

There is nothing else.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
May I guess, a Glock?
I realize you're not implying that the firearm is the issue, but the type of person who buys it...

Wasn't there a cop who shot himself down his pants with a Glock recently? It's not the Glock's fault. But I've noted a distinct culture preference for Glocks. Certain groups of very stupid people tend to think that "Glock iz da bizomb, yo." An innovative firearm in a few ways, but it's followers...

Reminds me of an anti-christian bumper sticker. "God, please save me from your followers!"

Just like people who "think" the gun is unloaded...

If it was a Glock, I bet it IT'S OWNER instealld this on it:

main.php

This picture never stops being funny for me.