• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ideas on raising awareness?

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

It has come to my attention that my community in Littlestown PA and surrounding is extremely unaware of the PA carry laws. I have my CC and had been carrying as such for a while and assuming lots of other people were too. Now, the bank got robbed last week and there was a stick up outside the one bar which is right next to my showroom. After talking to multiple people about these things in my showroom and at church, I have found that my community is very unaware they can carry.

I told my wife that it was time we raised awareness. Both for the citizens and the crooks! I'm not going to watch my small town community get pushed around by thugs because people aren't aware of the laws.

First thing I did was buy a duty belt rig and have been carrying my 9mm and two extra clips everywhere I go. It's cold, so I'm wearing a coat, but I remove my coat as much as possible so it becomes a normal thing for people to see and I don't touch or purposely draw attention to it like I'm trying to "be a badass".
I have already had multiple people point it out and ask... "Is that legal?":banghead:

My question is... What next? I was tossing around the idea of starting some sort of association and doing a mailer. Or getting some sort of informative flyer to hand out and hang in my showroom. I don't know. Help with ideas? I think a lot more people would carry if they knew the laws.

Help! I don't want my town going to crap!

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Church policy or congregation/board policy? I imagine that church carry will be the toughest aspect to normalize.

I recommend Charl Van Wyk's 'Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-Defense (Christian Liberty Books, Cape Town, 2001). His story of (stopping) the St. James Church massacre in 1993.

Preparing to argue before my Church Board has led me farther into Lutheran doctrine and Lutheranism than I ever imagined.

When I lived in SC where CCW is legal and better accepted, the aphorism was that "if the congregation didn't trust me armed in church then I was in the wrong pew."

Best wishes.

Curmudgeon

imported post

You are not alone. Here is exactly the flyer you are looking for...

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121/7481-your-pennsylvania-gun-rights-handy-flyer-carry-you.html

...consider joining PAFOA also. Like here, many great people, especially in Franklin, Adams, and York Counties!

;)

You can print them using the .pdf file found in the link above, or you can purchase them already professionally printed and tri-folded, here...

http://paopencarry.org/forum/your-pennsylvania-gun-rights-handy-flyer-about-carry-t-4.html

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Curmudgeon wrote:
You are not alone. Here is exactly the flyer you are looking for...

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121/7481-your-pennsylvania-gun-rights-handy-flyer-carry-you.html

...consider joining PAFOA also. Like here, many great people, especially in Franklin, Adams, and York Counties!

;)

You can print them using the .pdf file found in the link above, or you can purchase them already professionally printed and tri-folded, here...

http://paopencarry.org/forum/your-pennsylvania-gun-rights-handy-flyer-about-carry-t-4.html
GREAT FLYER! Thanks man! Will be speadin' the word;)