Thread: Mateba Autorevolver

Post imported post

So, as I think everyone is at some point, I'm growing enamored by the mechanism and appearance of the Mateba Grifone Autorevolvers.

Unfortunetley as they are so rare, and since Mateba went out of business recently, I have never had the opportunity to shoot one, and don't know where I would be able to find one to try.

Has anyone had any experience with the Mateba Autorevolvers? Does anyone know someone in CA who has one for sale or that I might someday have an opportunity to handle?

Post imported post

They come up on Gunbroker.com every now and then, and are surprisingly affordable, considering their rarity...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    They come up on Gunbroker.com every now and then, and are surprisingly affordable, considering their rarity...
    It actually makes me question their reliability, I know for sure I will be hard pressed to find parts, and may have to go so far as to have replacement parts machined if the firearm wears thin over time.

I understand it takes some fairly hot loads to make the things cycle, but I have as of yet been unable to find out how hot it too hot, and how reliable they are.

Post imported post

They ARE highly desireable because they are weird. But the fact is, they are not something that most serious firearms colectors have much interest in because they are a relatively new design and they are not high-end custom-type guns. Their fit and finish is S&W wuality, but it's not like they are hand-engraved or inlaid, or made of exotic materials. They are weird, new, and no longer made.

I think EVERYONE goes through a "gotta have a Mateba" phase eventually. They are VERY weird, and that brings a tremendous "coolness factor" for some people.

I know if I had a few grand laying around, I'd pick one up if I came across one. I'd never consider carrying it IRL, but it would make a GREAT BBQ gun...

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg186-e.htm

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    They ARE highly desireable because they are weird. But the fact is, they are not something that most serious firearms colectors have much interest in because they are a relatively new design and they are not high-end custom-type guns. Their fit and finish is S&W wuality, but it's not like they are hand-engraved or inlaid, or made of exotic materials. They are weird, new, and no longer made.

I think EVERYONE goes through a "gotta have a Mateba" phase eventually. They are VERY weird, and that brings a tremendous "coolness factor" for some people.

I know if I had a few grand laying around, I'd pick one up if I came across one. I'd never consider carrying it IRL, but it would make a GREAT BBQ gun...

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg186-e.htm

Whoa there mustang Sally! A few grand? Have the prices hit the roof recently? I thought they were still sub 1000.

At least I'm not alone in my phase: they're just so unusual. Plus it seems like an investment, the darn thing will probably worth substantially more in a few years time. Unless it catches on in America in an improved model.

Post imported post

That's funky. I wasn't familiar with those. Thanks for the links about them.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

There are currently 3 on Gunbroker. one .357 for about $1800, another for $2700, and a .454 Casull for $2700...

I saw a stainless Mateba go for nearly $4000 a few months ago.

Ouch...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

i still gotta, wanna have one... ive gotta tanfoglio a GT-380 new in 1978, and a 1972 MOTO GUZZI since 1980.
    im a big italiano guy ive got it in my blood.
    im not a wheel guy,, but i have got to get me one of those guns someday!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

It's not a mateba or an autorevolver but it does have the barrel on the bottom.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/55

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
    i still gotta, wanna have one... ive gotta tanfoglio a GT-380 new in 1978, and a 1972 MOTO GUZZI since 1980...
    A '72 Guzzi? Those things have a habit of torquing over in turns, although I cannot recall which way (Long time since I have ridden one).

I absolutely love the late model ones though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Post imported post

I tried getting in touch with someone at Calguns who is supposed to have one.

No luck as of yet. So doggone pricey! Why are they so expensive? I know theres not so many of them, but I guess unusuality makes for a costly gun. Ok...I understand why theyre costly...but doggone it!

Post imported post

Interesting update.

Aparently Mateba is not out of business. I spoke with Jim Glidden, who is apparently the only authorized Mateba dealer in the U.S.

He isbackordered and the prices are as expected high, but they are out available.

Cool beans, huh?

Post imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
    Interesting update.

Aparently Mateba is not out of business. I spoke with Jim Glidden, who is apparently the only authorized Mateba dealer in the U.S.

He isbackordered and the prices are as expected high, but they are out available.

Cool beans, huh?
    Contact info plz
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

This is from one of his recent ads on GunBroker.com:

Jim Glidden
    Colt Collector and Dealer
    Jim@ColtMan.cc

JBG Corp. of Central Florida
    55406 Hugh Dr.
    Astor, FL, 32102

Bus 352-759-2311
    Cell 386-747-1572
    Fax 352-759-2058
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

^^Thats the one.

I warn you though, he has the monopoly on Matebas Unica, Grifones, and otherwise, and as such he doesn't price things cheaply, or near market value, unless you consider his market value to be the only one.

Post imported post

Hmm, I work for a local gun store and from what I hear from my distributors is that Mateba Unica has been out of business since '05.

Post imported post

Mr. Glidden claims that Mateba is "on recievership" and is still producing firearms.

He is taking orders and deposits for firearms but is not indicating how long it would be for his next shipment.

Questionable? A bit.

Post imported post

Interesting, usually everytime someone brings up the Mateba Model Six, someone else (or the OP) brings up this guy.....

... because it's generally said that his gun is based off the Mateba.

But really, it's more like his gun is based off a mash-up of the Model Six and this thing...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schofield_Model_3

Would that make it a Model Nine, or a Four-and-a-Half? :-D
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I found the Mateba because of Ghost in the Shell. Togusa carries one.

Post imported post

Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver much cooler

Post imported post

No ammo for that one anymore though Not that I know of anyways.

Post imported post

It is also used by Ineni Hassan in the tv show Alias.