• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mateba Autorevolver

heliopolissolutions

imported post

So, as I think everyone is at some point, I'm growing enamored by the mechanism and appearance of the Mateba Grifone Autorevolvers.

Unfortunetley as they are so rare, and since Mateba went out of business recently, I have never had the opportunity to shoot one, and don't know where I would be able to find one to try.

Has anyone had any experience with the Mateba Autorevolvers? Does anyone know someone in CA who has one for sale or that I might someday have an opportunity to handle?

Dreamer

imported post

They come up on Gunbroker.com every now and then, and are surprisingly affordable, considering their rarity...

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
They come up on Gunbroker.com every now and then, and are surprisingly affordable, considering their rarity...

It actually makes me question their reliability, I know for sure I will be hard pressed to find parts, and may have to go so far as to have replacement parts machined if the firearm wears thin over time.

I understand it takes some fairly hot loads to make the things cycle, but I have as of yet been unable to find out how hot it too hot, and how reliable they are.

Dreamer

imported post

They ARE highly desireable because they are weird. But the fact is, they are not something that most serious firearms colectors have much interest in because they are a relatively new design and they are not high-end custom-type guns. Their fit and finish is S&W wuality, but it's not like they are hand-engraved or inlaid, or made of exotic materials. They are weird, new, and no longer made.

I think EVERYONE goes through a "gotta have a Mateba" phase eventually. They are VERY weird, and that brings a tremendous "coolness factor" for some people.

I know if I had a few grand laying around, I'd pick one up if I came across one. I'd never consider carrying it IRL, but it would make a GREAT BBQ gun...

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg186-e.htm

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
They ARE highly desireable because they are weird. But the fact is, they are not something that most serious firearms colectors have much interest in because they are a relatively new design and they are not high-end custom-type guns. Their fit and finish is S&W wuality, but it's not like they are hand-engraved or inlaid, or made of exotic materials. They are weird, new, and no longer made.

I think EVERYONE goes through a "gotta have a Mateba" phase eventually. They are VERY weird, and that brings a tremendous "coolness factor" for some people.

I know if I had a few grand laying around, I'd pick one up if I came across one. I'd never consider carrying it IRL, but it would make a GREAT BBQ gun...

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg186-e.htm

Whoa there mustang Sally! A few grand? Have the prices hit the roof recently? I thought they were still sub 1000.

At least I'm not alone in my phase: they're just so unusual. Plus it seems like an investment, the darn thing will probably worth substantially more in a few years time. Unless it catches on in America in an improved model.

Dreamer

imported post

There are currently 3 on Gunbroker. one .357 for about $1800, another for $2700, and a .454 Casull for $2700...

I saw a stainless Mateba go for nearly $4000 a few months ago.

Ouch...

1245A Defender

imported post

i still gotta, wanna have one... ive gotta tanfoglio a GT-380 new in 1978, and a 1972 MOTO GUZZI since 1980.
im a big italiano guy ive got it in my blood.
im not a wheel guy,, but i have got to get me one of those guns someday!!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's not a mateba or an autorevolver but it does have the barrel on the bottom.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/55

DSC09270.JPG

slowfiveoh

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
i still gotta, wanna have one... ive gotta tanfoglio a GT-380 new in 1978, and a 1972 MOTO GUZZI since 1980...
A '72 Guzzi? Those things have a habit of torquing over in turns, although I cannot recall which way (Long time since I have ridden one).

I absolutely love the late model ones though. :D

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I tried getting in touch with someone at Calguns who is supposed to have one.

No luck as of yet. So doggone pricey! Why are they so expensive? I know theres not so many of them, but I guess unusuality makes for a costly gun. Ok...I understand why theyre costly...but doggone it!

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Interesting update.

Aparently Mateba is not out of business. I spoke with Jim Glidden, who is apparently the only authorized Mateba dealer in the U.S.

He isbackordered and the prices are as expected high, but they are out available.

Cool beans, huh?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
Interesting update.

Aparently Mateba is not out of business. I spoke with Jim Glidden, who is apparently the only authorized Mateba dealer in the U.S.

He isbackordered and the prices are as expected high, but they are out available.

Cool beans, huh?
Contact info plz :D

Dreamer

imported post

This is from one of his recent ads on GunBroker.com:

Jim Glidden
Colt Collector and Dealer
Jim@ColtMan.cc

JBG Corp. of Central Florida
55406 Hugh Dr.
Astor, FL, 32102

Bus 352-759-2311
Cell 386-747-1572
Fax 352-759-2058

heliopolissolutions

imported post

^^Thats the one.

I warn you though, he has the monopoly on Matebas Unica, Grifones, and otherwise, and as such he doesn't price things cheaply, or near market value, unless you consider his market value to be the only one.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Mr. Glidden claims that Mateba is "on recievership" and is still producing firearms.

He is taking orders and deposits for firearms but is not indicating how long it would be for his next shipment.

Questionable? A bit.

AbNo

imported post

Interesting, usually everytime someone brings up the Mateba Model Six, someone else (or the OP) brings up this guy.....

... because it's generally said that his gun is based off the Mateba.

But really, it's more like his gun is based off a mash-up of the Model Six and this thing...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schofield_Model_3

Would that make it a Model Nine, or a Four-and-a-Half? :-D