• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Miranda warning loses some more of its teeth

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
skidmark wrote:
From Stephen Wenger's Daily DUF newsletter:

SNIP It has not been a good week for the famed Miranda warning at the hands of the Supreme Court....
This is one of the problems with taking law from a secondary source instead of reading the law itself. You get a summary. Who knows where any given writer got his information. Another summary by someone else?

The best place to get the real skinny is the court opinion itself. When I see articles like this, I immediately hunt up the opinion itself, and ignore the article. It is amazing how often an article skews the information.

Fourth Amendment and Fifth Amendment court opinions are surprisingly easy to read. Hardly any legal-ese; certainly nothing you cannot look up in an on-line dictionary site in 15 seconds.
My intention was to spark discussion, as opposed to presenting documentation.

I believe I accomplished my mission.

In all fairness, I agree with you that I might have been better off citing the opinions outright, even though there were links in both of the articles. I'll try to be improve.

stay safe.

skidmark

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

This should be the warning:
"If you want to be free; Do not speak. Do not make a sound. Do not write anything. Do not use sign language. Do not tap or blink Morse code. Do not gesture. By not doing all of these things, we will safely assume you want a lawyer, and we will then ask for their name and number. If you do not answer, we will get one for you. Other than giving the lawyer's name and number, you should not communicate in any way with us. These are your rights as a human being."