• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying guns off of Gun Broker.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

I know that on gunbroker.com some of the guns are sold by individuals, but have to be shipped to an FFL. Am I actually buying the gun from the person (a private citizen), or the FFL? Or is it just a transfer? I guess this should be here since I am a Louisiana resident interested in buying from gunbroker.com.

AmosMoses

imported post

You pay the individual or the FFL holder, whoever is selling the weapon on gunbroker....obviously, there are individual sellers and FFL holders who are sellers there. Then (s)he, in turn, ships the weapon to an FFL holder of your choice, in your area...whichever local FFL holder that you request that (s)he send it to...where you can take delivery of it.

If the seller is an FFL holder, then (s)he simply sends it himself/herself to your local FFL holder of choice, and if the seller is not an FFL holder, then (s)he must work with an FFL holder local to him/her to do the shipping for him/her (but, that really doesn't affect you...that's on them to do).

The weapon is shipped by the seller, if an FFL holder, or if the seller is not, it is shipped from his/her local FFL designee, to the local FFL holder you choose, and you go there, do the paperwork, pay the transfer fee that the FFL holder near you charges (probably $25-$30 bucks or so, more or less), and pick up the weapon. You already paid the actual seller for the weapon. It's easy.

Basically, just remember that the weapon must be shipped from one FFL holder to another, so the seller and the buyer must "contract" with a FFL holder local to them, unless they are FFL holders themselves. These "contracted" FFL holders essentially just transfer/ship the weapon, do the transaction, run the paperwork, etc. They are not truly parties to the actual sale, per se, and the only money that changes hands between you when you pick up your weapon and the FFL holder who received it for you would be the fee he/she charges to accept the transfer of the weapon for you.

Obviously, if the seller contracts with an FFL holder to send the firearm, then the seller would pay him/her the shipping fee, too, in addition to the transfer fee, but again, that's not on the buyer.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

I'm just wondering about getting pistols, really. I'd like a larger variance of pistols in my OC stable. I know you only have to be 18 to buy from a private citizen here. The only FFL involvement between me and an individual seller is that it gets delivered there, and I pick it up?
Kinda like going to the post office to pick up my mail?
Except, you know and FFL and a gun.

AmosMoses

imported post

Essentially so. It travels from an FFL holder to an FFL holder, so if buyer and/or seller are not FFL holders, they need to work with (an) FFL holder(s) to ship the gun.

Now, you pick it up at the FFL holder, but remember, you still have to do the paperwork there, too...background check, all that stuff. You do the same paperwork as if you were buying any gun, so you could not bypass age limits, etc. You would NOT be able to buy any transferred weapon that you couldn't buy if it was on the dealer's shelf, so you can't get the benefit of "buying from an individual" if it transfers. I take it that's what you are asking here, right?

wdc39

imported post

Negative, Amos. An individual does NOT need to go thru an FFL holder to ship a firearm. Only to recieve a firearm does one need the FFL holder. Also, if you already own the gun and have sent it off for repair, recall or whatever, I don't think you have to use an FFL holder to have it shipped back to you.(You already own it and have done the proper paperwork already)The following is copied and pasted from GUNBROKER.COM.

Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL) only. The recipient must have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).

Swampwood

imported post

I'v purchased more than a few firearms off GB, Not one problem, as of yet.

gentlemanjack10mm

imported post

I know you only have to be 18 to buy from a private citizen here. The only FFL involvement between me and an individual seller is

you are a bit mistaken saying you have to be 18 to buy

to buy a handgun and/or ammno from a FFL you must be 21

the FFL will nottransfer either to you even if it came from a private sale if you are not over 21