• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Second Amendment drama: Act II', Lyle Denniston SCOTUSblog.com

TFred

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/02/second-amendment-drama-act-ii/#more-16704

Does anyone know of a live coverage, text or audio, source.
If you mean of the oral arguments themselves, I don't believe there is any live coverage, or any electronic recording that is later released. The text transcript of the arguments will be published fairly soon after they are done. The SCOTUS blog site usually has links.

It will be very interesting to read!

TFred

rpyne

imported post

TFred wrote:
If you mean of the oral arguments themselves, I don't believe there is any live coverage, or any electronic recording that is later released. The text transcript of the arguments will be published fairly soon after they are done. The SCOTUS blog site usually has links.

I don't remember where I got it, but the oral argument audio in the Heller case was released.

TFred

imported post

rpyne wrote:
TFred wrote:

I don't remember where I got it, but the oral argument audio in the Heller case was released.
Oh, wow... I didn't know that!

Even more wow... audio with transcript:

http://www.oyez.org/cases/2000-2009/2007/2007_07_290/argument/

TFred

gluegun

imported post

SCOTUSblog is reporting this:
The Supreme Court has refused a request by cable and other broadcast networks to release on Tuesday the audiotape of the Court’s hearing in the Second Amendment case, McDonald, et al., v. Chicago, et al. (08-1521). The refusal was conveyed to the networks by the Court, but no document was released on it. The Court has released promptly the audiotape on only one case during recent months — the Citizens United v. FEC case, heard in September before the current Term opened. Under current policy, the written transcript of Tuesday’s argument will be released later in the day. The argument is scheduled for one hour, starting at 10 a.m.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Today at the Court
McDonald v. Chicago argument
Erin Miller | Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 8:59 am The Court is expected to announce opinions at 10 a.m., which we will be live-blogging. Then the Court will hear argument in the gun rights case McDonald v. City of ChicagoHui v. Castaneda: and in
~10 a.m. – At issue in McDonald v. City of Chicago (08-1521) is whether the Second Amendment’s individual right to keep and bear arms should apply (or be “incorporated” against) to state and local governments, through either the Privileges or Immunities Clause or the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Lyle Denniston’s extensive background post on the case is here.

imported post

Previously recorded mp3 podcasts up at SCOTUSblog

Continuing our series of five-minute podcasts on oral argument days, we have two new podcasts below with counsel in McDonald v. City of Chicago (08-1521), in which the Court will consider whether the Second Amendment’s individual right to keep and bear arms should be incorporated against state and local government through either the Privileges or Immunities Clause or the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Because the approaches to incorporation are so different, and more than fifty amicus briefs were filed in the case, we are including five podcasts to capture the full scope of argument.

Dahwg

imported post

For as much as people on this board criticize the NRA, it seems in this case they saved Gura's bacon. There was no way the court was going to incorporate under privileges and immunities. By going the due process route, the NRA's counsel gave SCOTUS their way to incorporation. In this case, the NRA was right on the money.

ufcfanvt

imported post

Do we know that Gura would have refused to discuss the Due Process approach? I think, if pressed to, and w/o NRA's interference, he would have made a good case for Due Process incorporation.

Regardless, the oral arguments were/are not needed (this is why Thomas never questions/comments during them). There is already a mountain of briefs on either side submitted in any case:
http://www.chicagoguncase.com/case-filings/#SupremeCourt

Still, Kudos to the NRA for the help, even if they were pretty heavy-handing in their efforts to contribute.

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
For as much as people on this board criticize the NRA, it seems in this case they saved Gura's bacon. There was no way the court was going to incorporate under privileges and immunities. By going the due process route, the NRA's counsel gave SCOTUS their way to incorporation. In this case, the NRA was right on the money.

I predict that the Second Amendment will be incorporated against the states through the 'privileges or immunities' clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as requested by Alan Gura and not via the 'due process' clause argued by the NRA.

This SCOTUS is left leaning and the 'privilege or immunities' allows a more extreme expansion of civil rights into homosexuality and health care.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
For as much as people on this board criticize the NRA, it seems in this case they saved Gura's bacon.

That's funny because I said to myself, "Thanks Clements, you just saved our bacon!" To which I just had to go get a bacon sandwich. MMMMMMMmmmmmmm...Bacon

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Let us not forget that not even the transcripts have been released, let alone the decision rendered.
It says in the link that they should be released same day.... so hopefully tomorrow some of us will have had a chance to read through them in full. I enjoy reading them but get P.O'd at all the partisan rhetoric and thinly veiled contempt the justices show for one another. They're like a bunch of school children........ Ah well.

ETA: Darn it! I'm a day late and a dollar short with everything today!
Thanks for the link to the transcript Doug.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Looks to me from what I have been hearing about the arguments and the reactions of the Justices that "incorporation" will be a given, but then we will be thrown into the muddy bullcrap of "reasonable" restrictions. Leaving years of squabbling (and arrests and cases and decisions) before it gets ironed out exactly what the 2A means, or rather means in the World According to SCOTUS.

"Hard cases make bad law". Yep, and the antis are struggling very diligently to make this caxe as hard as possible. We may slay the dragon only to have a colony of fire ants emerge from its corpse.

Oh well. Cows may come and cows may go, but the bull goes on forever. :banghead: