• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Scout mounting" Pistol scopes on carbines

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I'm looking to put some kind of pistol scope in between the front sight post and the carry handle. I've found several that will be in the right eye relief distance. I will also most likely co-witness with the iron sights.

My question is Are there too many drawbacks to make this a good idea? So far it sounds plausible to me.

I will be OCing this rifle, but only out in the woods ;)

Yard Sale

imported post

You mean a non-magnifying optic like a red dot? I have one co-witnessed with the iron sights and there are no drawbacks, unless you count a little extra weight.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Wait...you mean on an AR carbine?

Well..you could? But iron sights are great, what would the purpose of a non-mag scope on the bush gun be over irons? I mean to each his own, but if you want to throw a lightweight scope, or a red dot on it, then by all means go for it.

Yard Sale

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
what would the purpose of a non-mag scope on the bush gun be over irons?

- faster first shot

- slightly faster follow-up shots on same target

- much faster transition to next target

- improved accuracy (better hits for the shooter; it doesn't make the rifle more accurate)

- better in low light

OP, I failed to mention this drawback before: For longer-distance shooting, I don't think most scout optics are adjustable on the fly for elevation and windage like the A2 and A3 rear sights.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Yard Sale wrote:
heliopolissolutions wrote:
what would the purpose of a non-mag scope on the bush gun be over irons?

- faster first shot

- slightly faster follow-up shots on same target

- much faster transition to next target

- improved accuracy (better hits for the shooter; it doesn't make the rifle more accurate)

- better in low light

OP, I failed to mention this drawback before: For longer-distance shooting, I don't think most scout optics are adjustable on the fly for elevation and windage like the A2 and A3 rear sights.
Both Eotech and Aimpoint offer (separate) magnifiers for their optics. Throw a quick detach mount on them & it could give you the same abilities. Although, with something like an Aimpoint, you can get them with the mil markings.

Pace

imported post

EOTECH: THe magnifier moves out of the way with a spring loaded button!

Here is my setup with the eotech. The red part is the magnifier, which moves out of the way to the right. You can make out the button on the bottom. The green is the actual eotech.

I then have a flashlight laster mount that is ranged a little closer.

eotech.jpg

Yard Sale

imported post

catass wrote:
Both Eotech and Aimpoint offer (separate) magnifiers for their optics. Throw a quick detach mount on them & it could give you the same abilities. Although, with something like an Aimpoint, you can get them with the mil markings.
A magnifier will negate some of the benefits of the scout-mounted red dot optic I listed.

Pace wrote:
EOTECH: THe magnifier moves out of the way with a spring loaded button!

Here is my setup with the eotech. The red part is the magnifier, which moves out of the way to the right. You can make out the button on the bottom. The green is the actual eotech.

I then have a flashlight laster mount that is ranged a little closer.
That's hardly the pistol scope mounted between the carry handle and the front sight the OP asked about.