Thread: Good single stack 9mm

Post imported post

I know this is an OC structured site, but I'm looking to pick up a sub compact 9mm to increase my carry options; something that can be used for pocket carry or put into an ankle holster. I've looked at .380 ACP pistols and I really like the Ruger LCP, but the cost and availability of .380 makes this a hard sell. I've considered the G26, but I feel it will be too thick for my needs (likewise with the XD 3", also see PPS issue). The Walther PPS is the other obvious choice, but being a condition 1 pistol with no real external safeties scares the bejebus out of me. My current P239 is too long in the grip to adequately conceal on the ankle.

Now I'm at a loss as I'm not sure what is available in a sub-compact, single stack configuration. Are there more options that I'm unaware of, or is this such a niche market that no one makes anything like this?

Post imported post

Wather PPS external safety, do you mean a safety switch, button, whatever? because it has two built in, I believe. There are great conceal holsters that will add a safety to it, ie, that you can't shoot yourself in the foot.

If you need a safety selector try the bersa's.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/bers...led-carry.html

onlurker wrote:
    I know this is an OC structured site, but I'm looking to pick up a sub compact 9mm to increase my carry options; something that can be used for pocket carry or put into an ankle holster. I've looked at .380 ACP pistols and I really like the Ruger LCP, but the cost and availability of .380 makes this a hard sell. I've considered the G26, but I feel it will be too thick for my needs (likewise with the XD 3", also see PPS issue). The Walther PPS is the other obvious choice, but being a condition 1 pistol with no real external safeties scares the bejebus out of me. My current P239 is too long in the grip to adequately conceal on the ankle.

Now I'm at a loss as I'm not sure what is available in a sub-compact, single stack configuration. Are there more options that I'm unaware of, or is this such a niche market that no one makes anything like this?

Post imported post

Yes, I mean safety switch, button, etc, something that you'd find on a PPK. I understand the safety devices of a PPS, but I've never been a fan of those trigger switch safety devices (similar to Glock). They just come across as a "feel-good" safety device to me since you're not suppose to be touching the trigger anyway unless you're ready to fire. To me, a safe trigger is one that is DA with a hard pull or one with a dedicated safety switch you have to manually flick on/off.

Pace wrote:
    Wather PPS external safety, do you mean a safety switch, button, whatever?

Post imported post

I was considering the Taurus 709 for a bit. It is fairly new and I don't know how good it is but it seems like a nice small 9mm.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

Then there is always the Kahr PM9. http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

Post imported post

Kahr K9, P9, or CW9, and an IWB holster. None-better!

Post imported post

Getting a well functioning Taurus PT 709 is usually a hit or miss. I just sold one -- it was a miss. Some what accurate up to 10' but not beyond.

You might want to consider a light weight "J frame", or a Polish P-64 9X18 in a pocket holster. A Wolff spring change in the P-64 makes it a good defensive weapon.

Post imported post

I have a Kel-tec PF-9 and love it. It doesn't have any exsternal saftey though. It does have a long trigger pull and it is med. heavy. I would say mine is about 8lbs.

If you carry it in a holster of any kind it would be like haveing a revolver only with 8 rounds available to you.

Post imported post

I agree with jayspapa... I just picked up a Kel Tec PF-9....a non-regrettable situation ....I've actually been OC for a few days now...HAA....not that it couldn't fit in my front pocket! Only problem with it is.....only comes with ONE magazine. You'll need to order more, and waiting sucks. But hey, carry 2 spare mags(7rds) , and 8 in the gun.....damn thats 22 rds of 9mm in a SMALL, very small firearm. Can't be beat right now in the sub/compact gun market in my opinion.

Post imported post

Find a good Kel-Tec. It's more or less the standard in backup semi-auto 9mms.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Kahr makes a nice line of sub-compacts which they refer to as "micros". You might take a look at the PM9. Or if you prefer an all steel gun, their MK9 is great.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I would go with the Kahr for a nice single stack for cc.

Post imported post

The PF-9 has a very nice price to it and the grip looks like it won't bite into your hands as much as the P-3AT would. Definitely going to put that one on the short list.

Post imported post

You're right about the Bersa. Girlfriend carries the 9mm Thunder Pro. They are lean, mean, and very accurate. Look into the short barrel option for ccw.

Post imported post

I bought a Taurus PT709 for my wife, it managed to fail to extract the spent cartridge at least once per mag for the first couple hundred rounds, but after a decent break in it has been flawless.

I carry the thing myself every once in a while. It is also an extremely accurate little handgun. I would probably buy one for myself if I didn't carry a glock 36. If glock would just make a 36sf.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Post imported post

Para Ordnance PTX-LDA PDA-9mm.

Single-stack 9mm (8+1 rounds), in a compact 1911 platform (3" barrel).

Beautiful finish, glass-smooth action, and Para's new Light Double Action (LDA) trigger and lockwork.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=66
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964