• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good single stack 9mm

onlurker

imported post

I know this is an OC structured site, but I'm looking to pick up a sub compact 9mm to increase my carry options; something that can be used for pocket carry or put into an ankle holster. I've looked at .380 ACP pistols and I really like the Ruger LCP, but the cost and availability of .380 makes this a hard sell. I've considered the G26, but I feel it will be too thick for my needs (likewise with the XD 3", also see PPS issue). The Walther PPS is the other obvious choice, but being a condition 1 pistol with no real external safeties scares the bejebus out of me. My current P239 is too long in the grip to adequately conceal on the ankle.

Now I'm at a loss as I'm not sure what is available in a sub-compact, single stack configuration. Are there more options that I'm unaware of, or is this such a niche market that no one makes anything like this?

Pace

imported post

Wather PPS external safety, do you mean a safety switch, button, whatever? because it has two built in, I believe. There are great conceal holsters that will add a safety to it, ie, that you can't shoot yourself in the foot.

If you need a safety selector try the bersa's.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-380-concealed-carry.html

onlurker wrote:
I know this is an OC structured site, but I'm looking to pick up a sub compact 9mm to increase my carry options; something that can be used for pocket carry or put into an ankle holster. I've looked at .380 ACP pistols and I really like the Ruger LCP, but the cost and availability of .380 makes this a hard sell. I've considered the G26, but I feel it will be too thick for my needs (likewise with the XD 3", also see PPS issue). The Walther PPS is the other obvious choice, but being a condition 1 pistol with no real external safeties scares the bejebus out of me. My current P239 is too long in the grip to adequately conceal on the ankle.

Now I'm at a loss as I'm not sure what is available in a sub-compact, single stack configuration. Are there more options that I'm unaware of, or is this such a niche market that no one makes anything like this?

onlurker

imported post

Yes, I mean safety switch, button, etc, something that you'd find on a PPK. I understand the safety devices of a PPS, but I've never been a fan of those trigger switch safety devices (similar to Glock). They just come across as a "feel-good" safety device to me since you're not suppose to be touching the trigger anyway unless you're ready to fire. To me, a safe trigger is one that is DA with a hard pull or one with a dedicated safety switch you have to manually flick on/off.

Pace wrote:
Wather PPS external safety, do you mean a safety switch, button, whatever?

GWbiker

imported post

Getting a well functioning Taurus PT 709 is usually a hit or miss. I just sold one -- it was a miss. Some what accurate up to 10' but not beyond.

You might want to consider a light weight "J frame", or a Polish P-64 9X18 in a pocket holster. A Wolff spring change in the P-64 makes it a good defensive weapon.

jayspapa

imported post

I have a Kel-tec PF-9 and love it. It doesn't have any exsternal saftey though. It does have a long trigger pull and it is med. heavy. I would say mine is about 8lbs.

If you carry it in a holster of any kind it would be like haveing a revolver only with 8 rounds available to you.

mlacey56

imported post

I agree with jayspapa... I just picked up a Kel Tec PF-9....a non-regrettable situation ....I've actually been OC for a few days now...HAA....not that it couldn't fit in my front pocket! Only problem with it is.....only comes with ONE magazine. You'll need to order more, and waiting sucks. But hey, carry 2 spare mags(7rds) , and 8 in the gun.....damn thats 22 rds of 9mm in a SMALL, very small firearm. Can't be beat right now in the sub/compact gun market in my opinion.

onlurker

imported post

The PF-9 has a very nice price to it and the grip looks like it won't bite into your hands as much as the P-3AT would. Definitely going to put that one on the short list.

cscitney87

imported post

You're right about the Bersa. Girlfriend carries the 9mm Thunder Pro. They are lean, mean, and very accurate. Look into the short barrel option for ccw.

tcmech

imported post

I bought a Taurus PT709 for my wife, it managed to fail to extract the spent cartridge at least once per mag for the first couple hundred rounds, but after a decent break in it has been flawless.

I carry the thing myself every once in a while. It is also an extremely accurate little handgun. I would probably buy one for myself if I didn't carry a glock 36. If glock would just make a 36sf.