Thread: Robbery Foiled by OC

Post imported post

I get emails called "Armed American Report" from the United States Concealed Carry Association. As their name indicates, they deal mostly with CC issues, but they occasionally mention OC. Here's a portion of the latest email.

Coming Up On Armed American Radio
    The Official Voice of the USCCA
    by Mark Walters
    The unbelievable growth of Armed American Radio continues! Last week I welcomed Modesto, CA and now Statesboro, GA joins AAR beginning on 3-14-2010 along with Delray Beach, FL on the same night. In addition it looks like Tulsa Ok may be adding us to their LIVE lineup as early as April 1st...I'll keep you posted on station and dates. Last weeks show was outstanding as I was joined in studio by 3 of the most down to earth folks you could imagine. Their story is all over the internet and hitting some major news outlets.

Seems JP Mitchell and Matt Brannan were dining at the Waffle House in Kennesaw, GA a couple of months back when a scout for a heavily armed robbery crew came wandering in. Unbeknownst to JP and Matt, who were alert and paying attention to the "out of place" young man, their OPENLY CARRIED handguns sent the scout outside to inform the crew there were guns in the store. An alert waitress, Lynn noticed the suspicious car and its occupants and called police.
    The crew was arrested in the parking lot with rifles, handguns, masks and other "tools of the trade"! Seems during the interrogation, they admitted the openly carried weapons had kept them from going in to rob the place until the "guns" left! Imagine that! Head over to http://www.armedamericanradio.org to listen to their story in hour 2!

Post imported post

i was wondering when this would be posted here.

+1 for OC'ers,detering yet another crime,and this time its documented!
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

Yeah, I thought you guys would have been the first with this story.

Post imported post

No, that's not possible! Everyone knows the open carriers would be shot first.

This just proves that most criminals are cowards when confronted with an armed defensive victim.

Post imported post

Statesman wrote:
    No, that's not possible! Everyone knows the open carriers would be shot first.

This just proves that most criminals are cowards when confronted with an armed defensive victim.
    lol,this is now our first PROVEN(in the media) case of OC deterring crime,at least that i am aware of.

a few more of these and maybe one on the national news....and we will be welcomed practically everywhere.

allowing OC'ers into a business(for my example ill use a resturaunt) is the same as offering cops discounted or free food,so that they are always close by,to deter crime.

if we are welcomed somewhere,we will frequent the place,and it will have the same effect as LEO's always being at a location,without having to cut deals for the LEO's to keep them around,plus i think we have better situational awareness generally,look at what happened out west with those 4 poor officers at the coffee shop.

not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

I was at WalMart two weeks ago with my 12yr old daughter picking up a birthday present. We stopped by sporting goods to check ammo(they had none) and when we turned the corner to head to checkout, there were two young men standing in front of the AirSoft guns. As soon as they noticed my pistol, one of the boys pulled a AirSoft gun out from under his hoodie, dropped it and ran. His friend just stood their with the deer in the headlight look. I said,"You might want to think twice about that." He said "YES SIR, I WILL" then unsure asked, "Are you a cop?". I told him "no, just a customer shopping". With a really confused look, he turned and quickly walked away. I know that there are times and places when CC is safer or more appropriate but OC'ing for most of my daily activities is whats best for me.

Spelling EDIT

Post imported post

The two open carriers were sitting at a booth in the front window. The bad guys, after sending in their scout and determining that the armed men were there, could have started the assault on the restaurant by having two of their number shoot our two heroes through the plate glass while the rest of the gang came through the door to rob everyone else. The good guys wouldn't have had a chance to even react. Still, the bad guys decided to wait until the armed citizens left. They must have had time to kill and didn't mind waiting for the preferred situation where shooting wouldn't be required.

Post imported post

They probably didnt want to bump an armed robbery to a double murder. The latter usually gets more attention. Not that the first is uninteresting.

Post imported post

I'm not sure that robbers even consider getting caught, let alone thedegree of possible legal consequences, before acting. If they did, they probably wouldn't even be in the business.

Post imported post

What I want to know is what excuse did the police use to go question the men sitting in the car. From all I can find about what happened they were just sitting in their car and the police decided to go interrogate them, carry them down to the station and force the "confession" out of them. As far as I know, and I may be worng, there is no law in Kennesaw GA against sitting in your car in a public parking lot with a rifle and mask. They should have been left alone.

Post imported post

They had been seen driving slowly around the parking lot by the waitress; that's when she called 911. Those actions, coupled with the presence of robbery tools (guns and masks), makes for reasonable suspicion to detain them to try to determine their intent. Plus, they were sitting on private property, with no apparent intent on beingcustomers,and a representative of the property owner (the waitress) had asked the policeto investigate. One or more of the bad guys was apparently stupid enough to tell police of the intended robbery.

Post imported post

jofrdo wrote:
    The two open carriers were sitting at a booth in the front window. The bad guys, after sending in their scout and determining that the armed men were there, could have started the assault on the restaurant by having two of their number shoot our two heroes through the plate glass while the rest of the gang came through the door to rob everyone else. The good guys wouldn't have had a chance to even react. Still, the bad guys decided to wait until the armed citizens left. They must have had time to kill and didn't mind waiting for the preferred situation where shooting wouldn't be required.
    :? Really? Accurately through what was probably 3/8" tempered glass? I'm hoping that was facetious.

If not, put down the TV remote, turn off the Die Hard movies and read some ballistics info on what happens when bullets go through glass. Or read ODA226 and other's posts on combat/sniper training and shooting through glass. Bullets after passing through glass are highly unpredictable due to the deflection (while they do make special sniper ammo designed to penetrate glass without deflection I don't think an urban robbery crew hitting Waffle House was that kind of sophisticated).

The reality is that these urban gangsters probably are not trained shooters and anticipated that the citizens open carrying either are LEO or at least somewhat trained shooters. BGs don't generally want to get shot and research shows that they are more afraid of an armed citizen than LEO. They weren't looking to get into a fire fight but rather to hit and run for some quick cash.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I wasn't being facetious. I don't know what weapons the bad guys had; the news report said rifles. If they had a couple of shot guns, the glass would have disappeared with the first blast and the good guys with the second.

Post imported post

They probably thought that the OCers were off duty cops or something.

Post imported post

Kennesaw, GA?!?!?!?!!?!?

Didn't those fools know that Kennesaw has a "must own' statute?

They should have tried a Waffle House in , say, France.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
    Kennesaw, GA?!?!?!?!!?!?

Didn't those fools know that Kennesaw has a "must own' statute?

They should have tried a Waffle House in , say, France.
    +100

But in France we eat les Crepes...

haha

Post imported post

Statesman wrote:
    most criminals are cowards when confronted with an armed defensive victim.

Isn't there a better word than 'victim' for someone who wasn't attacked, or who
    successfully foiled an attack? I usually say 'intended victim', or sometimes 'armed
    citizen' (vs. 'criminal') but can y'all think of something better?

Krysta

-
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

MKEgal wrote:
    Statesman wrote:
    most criminals are cowards when confronted with an armed defensive victim.

Isn't there a better word than 'victim' for someone who wasn't attacked, or who
    successfully foiled an attack? I usually say 'intended victim', or sometimes 'armed
    citizen' (vs. 'criminal') but can y'all think of something better?

Krysta
    Honest citizen, good citizen, legal gun owner - lots of ways of avoiding the "victim'
    verbiage - sometimes though the shoe fits. "Victim" is so trite and overused.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Well now that it isn't safe to rob a waffle house they will have to move over to the
    MARTA passengers where the crooks will be safer.

You gotta wonder how much time off for good behavior they offered them to change
    their story that they were just waiting for the guns to come out to rob them first.
    At least the crooks are more honest than the police when it comes to guns.

Post imported post

jofrdo wrote:
    Most bad guys prefer not to die. I don't think it was that they were "killing time," so much as waiting until they had the upper hand against unarmed people. Bad guys prey on the weak remember? They don't like a fair fight.

Post imported post

I got this same email and found it odd. Isn't Waffle House's corporate policy no firearms. I thought they were fairly open about that. Seems odd that 2 OC'ers would be in there with no beef from the employees.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

SsevenN wrote:
    Yeah, I thought you guys would have been the first with this story.
    Much reported and discussed here on OCDO - use the search function for "waffle house." :P

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...t=Wafflehouse+

[line]Don't know about other areas, but have never found a Waffle House in Va. that objected in anyway to OC - only positive comments.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Our "Bad Guys" in this situation probaly did not want to advertise their presence to the community by shooting out the windows. A robbery can be quiet but gunshots just might get noticed. Bad Guys are usually cowards. Armed citizens are complications that could make the "job" to challenging. Besides, it is harder to rob the dead, they cannot hand over their wallets.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org