• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB-11 is now Law!

John Hardin

imported post

leeland wrote:
Braveheart23C wrote:
... new AR with 3 round burst made right here in good ol' UT!

Thank you Gov. Herbert!
Note that Montana's bill also specifically excludes machine guns (even they didn't want to fight that particular battle).
Don't try to win back the entire Constitution in one go. Let's get the Commerce Clause excesses cut back down to size with binding SC precedent before we start pruning NFA. We've been losing our rights since 1935. We won't win them back overnight.

Bravo to Gov. Herbert!

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I have heard that the Montana-based group that is already suing the feds to get the federal recognition of the Montana law is asking existing gun manufacturers and others NOT to start manufacturing State-specific guns yet. They want a perfectly clean case based on just the laws as written without any possible baggage that might come from a real defendant actually being charged with a crime. This seems a perfectly prudent course of action for now unless someone has very deep pockets and a burning desire to have his name forever attached to whatever decision might get rendered.

Charles

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
swillden wrote:
mqondo wrote:
leeland

I specifically asked him what he thought would happen if someone started manufacturing NFA items (silencers, machineguns, etc.) for Utah use only. He said that anyone trying that would have "a fight on their hands" and ATF agents "all over them".
Under the new law, if a suppressor is made here in Utah, it is covered and could be sold to a Utah resident without the Feds. It is covered under firearm accessories (highlighted in red).
Well, yes, that is what the Utah law says. But the federal government, including the ATF, disagrees. I have no doubt that anyone who tries it is indeed going to have a fight on their hands and ATF agents all over them.

To up the ante, one of the states that has passed a law like this (Tennessee?) also made it a state crime for any federal agent to enforce federal gun law that the state says is inapplicable. So the ATF agents would arrest the silencer maker, and then the state troopers would arrest the ATF agents!

Maybe we need to start pushing for Utah to pass something like this...?
And this is how it should be in all 50 individual states that make up our federation! Here mud in your eye big oversized Federal Govt!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

John Hardin wrote:
leeland wrote:
Braveheart23C wrote:
... new AR with 3 round burst made right here in good ol' UT!

Thank you Gov. Herbert!
Note that Montana's bill also specifically excludes machine guns (even they didn't want to fight that particular battle).
Don't try to win back the entire Constitution in one go. Let's get the Commerce Clause excesses cut back down to size with binding SC precedent before we start pruning NFA. We've been losing our rights since 1935. We won't win them back overnight.

Bravo to Gov. Herbert!

No, I would say we have been losing our Rights since 1906 and the passage of the Antiquities Act that allows an Executive Order by the President of the US to seize property and turn it into a "NATIONAL MONUMENT".

The progressives have been at this for a LOOOOONG time!