• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selling a rifle in WA

Magix

imported post

Are there any requirements for selling a rifle in Washington State? I'm wondering about a private sale, not through FFL. It is the same procedure as selling a handgun? Just covering my bases. :) Thanks!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Magix wrote:
Are there any requirements for selling a rifle in Washington State? I'm wondering about a private sale, not through FFL. It is the same procedure as selling a handgun? Just covering my bases. :) Thanks!
You want to do a private sale...

handgun/rifle doesn't matter.

As long as you do not believe the other person is not eligible to own a firearm you can sell away without getting in trouble.

You can take down their drivers license number and other info if you wish to make you feel more secure.

There is a PDF form you can print out on the DOL website, it's a handgun transfer form, and that is just for record keeping.

So are you under the impression you must be required to see a CPL or are you just choosing to ask for it.......

amlevin

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
So are you under the impression you must be required to see a CPL or are you just choosing to ask for it.......
It's not required but it is a quick way to make sure that the person is not disqualified from owning a firearm. It's sort of a free background check, assuming that the holder hasn't been disqualified since the permit was issued. Checking the CPL might provide some defense should the buyer turn out to be not eligible for firearm ownership.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

amlevin wrote:
It's not required but it is a quick way to make sure that the person is not disqualified from owning a firearm. It's sort of a free background check, assuming that the holder hasn't been disqualified since the permit was issued. Checking the CPL might provide some defense should the buyer turn out to be not eligible for firearm ownership.
I was just asking him that because he denied me for his Sig Mosquito....
:banghead:

amlevin

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
amlevin wrote:
It actually is not a FREE background check, the holder of the CPL had to pay for it. I did not pay for my CPL to be used to increase the comfort level of someone selling a gun to me. Requiring to see a cpl for a private firearms transaction is no longer a private firearms transaction, it has now caused the state to become involved, at the expense of the buyer, and that is unacceptable to me, personally.

There's always the alternative. Just sell it without any check at all and take the chance that you don't end up like the guy in Colorado involved in the sale to Klebold and Harris one of the guns used in Columbine. This guy only introduced them to the guy who ended up selling the TEC-9 to the shooters for $500 and he got 4-1/2 years.

http://extras.denverpost.com/news/col0624.htm

(couldn't find the disposition of the case involving Mark Manes who actually sold the gun, just the one who made the intro).

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

amlevin wrote:

There's always the alternative. Just sell it without any check at all and take the chance that you don't end up like the guy in Colorado involved in the sale to Klebold and Harris one of the guns used in Columbine. This guy only introduced them to the guy who ended up selling the TEC-9 to the shooters for $500 and he got 4-1/2 years.

http://extras.denverpost.com/news/col0624.htm

(couldn't find the disposition of the case involving Mark Manes who actually sold the gun, just the one who made the intro).

Quote from the story.
"Mr. Duran, you have broken the law because you chose to ignore it," said Dawn Anna, Townsend's mother. "You knew (Harris and Klebold) were under age.

We're talking about CPLs. Showing CPL is not required. However selling a gun to a minor is ILLEGAL.

Your argument is invalid.

He isn't being charged with not checking, he is being charged for selling to a minor.

But you were the money runner. You had knowledge and you participated in it. You were at the head of the line."

Edited to add another quote from the story:

Duran not only knew he was helping Harris and Klebold illegally obtain the TEC-DC9, but he went shooting with them in the mountains and knew they had two illegally sawed-off shotguns, Beck said. Yet, Duran didn't turn the pair in, and all the weapons were later used in the Columbine massacre.

amlevin

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
He isn't being charged with not checking, he is being charged for selling to a minor.

The whole point here, which I think you are missing, is that people get charged and often convicted for selling firearms to people that shouldn't have them. Some do it because they choose to ignore the law and others do it because they didn't bother to check. One thing a CPL in WA State does, it shows that one is over 21 and has been "vetted" by the issuing agency. Maybe someday you too will have one.

Do as you wish when buying or selling, but I choose to make sure that anyone buying from me is not disqualified. If you don't like it, don't buy any of my guns (should I even offer any for sale).

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Poosharker wrote:

The whole point here, which I think you are missing, is that people get charged and often convicted for selling firearms to people that shouldn't have them. Some do it because they choose to ignore the law and others do it because they didn't bother to check. One thing a CPL in WA State does, it shows that one is over 21 and has been "vetted" by the issuing agency. Maybe someday you too will have one.

Do as you wish when buying or selling, but I choose to make sure that anyone buying from me is not disqualified. If you don't like it, don't buy any of my guns (should I even offer any for sale).
That is a bit confusing. Those people that get charged broke the law. Either knowingly or knowingly.

"I didn't know that, your honor," isn't a valid excuse.

It's up to people to do their research on laws, and to make good decisions.

A CPL, proves what, that someone is 21, heck CPLs don't even show pictures, someone could just borrow a CPL and claim to be the owner..not to mention, they could have gotten in trouble recently..

If you really want a surefire way to know if someone is eligible, go for the background check, not sure many folks would want to go thru all that just to buy a firearm from a private seller.

I see a lot of sellers, a lot of folks just ask for a drivers license to get some info down in case something happens....a drivers license is valid government picture ID, and it can tell you right away if someone is 18 or not..which is the legal age to own a firearm in WA state..

As long as YOU have no DOUBT of that buyers eligibility...then it is OK.

So what are you trying to say?

amlevin

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
A CPL, proves what, that someone is 21, heck CPLs don't even show pictures, someone could just borrow a CPL and claim to be the owner..not to mention, they could have gotten in trouble recently..

As you get older you will get smarter. In the meanwhile I'll give you a little clue. On the line just below the City State Zip information on a CPL there is a number. It is the Driver's License Number. Combine the information on the CPL with a current Driver's license and you will have a pretty good idea that the person with the CPL is the person who's information is shown.

It may not be "bullet proof" but it will go a long way towards showing that you did more than just wink and take the money. Heck, it might even go a long way towards an "affirmative defense" should you face charges over the transaction.

Hang in there, someday you will be old enough to have your very own CPL.