Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry at GMU

Post imported post

I noticed the following poster on the wall in a classroom today. I was disturbed when I read the following:

• If a person enters a building with a weapon immediately evacuate the building.
    If a person is seen with a weapon outdoors, immediately seek shelter in the
    nearest building.
    Contact University Police and provide as much information as possible about the situation.
    • Warn other people in the area, provide assistance as needed, and remain calm.
    • Locate a secure area or building and follow shelter in place procedures (above).
    • Follow instructions provided by emergency response personnel.

http://ehs.gmu.edu/docs/EmergencyActionFlyer.pdf

Perhaps someone should remind the university that open carry on GMU's campus is legal, as upheld by Fairfax Circuit Court. Advising students to run inside and call 911 because someone is carrying a firearm is wasting resources that should be reserved for actual emergencies, and creates unwarranted alarm.

While I'm at it, I might as well mention this:

http://ehs.gmu.edu/guides/Workplacea...ceResponse.pdf

Pay attention to the recommended actions to respond to a violent threat. I think they forgot to add "blow whistle, induce vomiting" like Chicago has recommended.

Post imported post

Hmm...I saw someone OC'ing last month on campus and no one called the police, no one warned others about the 'gunman', and no one took shelter. They did, however, remain calm, just as the poster says!

Centurion

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    I noticed the following poster on the wall in a classroom today. I was disturbed when I read the following:

• If a person enters a building with a weapon immediately evacuate the building.
    If a person is seen with a weapon outdoors, immediately seek shelter in the
    nearest building.
    Contact University Police and provide as much information as possible about the situation.
    • Warn other people in the area, provide assistance as needed, and remain calm.
    • Locate a secure area or building and follow shelter in place procedures (above).
    • Follow instructions provided by emergency response personnel.

http://ehs.gmu.edu/docs/EmergencyActionFlyer.pdf

Perhaps someone should remind the university that open carry on GMU's campus is legal, as upheld by Fairfax Circuit Court. Advising students to run inside and call 911 because someone is carrying a firearm is wasting resources that should be reserved for actual emergencies, and creates unwarranted alarm.

While I'm at it, I might as well mention this:

http://ehs.gmu.edu/guides/Workplacea...ceResponse.pdf

Pay attention to the recommended actions to respond to a violent threat. I think they forgot to add "blow whistle, induce vomiting" like Chicago has recommended.
    Put this together in an email and I will put it in the next VCDL Update... send to president@vcdl.org

Post imported post

Hey, I'm not a student. Should I be making a trip up to my old haunts at GMU???

Post imported post

How many of us remember when they sold beer in SU1 at the Rathskeller:shock:.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Put this together in an email and I will put it in the next VCDL Update... send to president@vcdl.org
    Done.

I'd like to keep a low profile however, in terms of who I am, where I am, and what I do.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Hey, I'm not a student. Should I be making a trip up to my old haunts at GMU???
    yes.

altajava wrote:
    I do!

(they changed into a Damons Grill a while back but changed back last year. Even with the name changes, they always sold alcohol)

Post imported post

altajava wrote:
    How many of us remember when they sold beer in SU1 at the Rathskeller:shock:
    Good times, 1978-79 :^). Big winter blizzard! Take that NOVA!

Post imported post

I could've sworn they stopped selling beer there around '92. When did the weekly "disagreements" with the rugby team stop happening?

Post imported post

altajava wrote:
    I could've sworn they stopped selling beer there around '92. When did the weekly "disagreements" with the rugby team stop happening?
    That was a little before my time so I can't say they didn't stop selling beer at one time.

Centurion

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Done.

I'd like to keep a low profile however, in terms of who I am, where I am, and what I do.
    Sure - I will only list your social security number.:shock:

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    nova wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Done.

Sure - I will only list your social security number.:shock:
    :P

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I sent em a post card. :-)
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Take that to its logical conclusion.

Do it every time you see a police officer.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

altajava wrote:
    Yep!! I also remember being horridly addicted to Missile Command. Great times.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." B. Franklin

Post imported post

Drunken Missile Command?

That's almost as much fun as strip-chess.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

nova wrote:

Great. I'm saddened to find the following:

Carry a whistle or other means of making a loud noise.

http://www.gmu.edu/depts/police/asr/safetyreport09.pdf

Unfortunately, GMU prohibits people from carrying in buildings other means of making a loud noise. Something that a loud noise is only a side effect of...

Post imported post

I'll put my air horn in my backpack.

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, USA

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    Ill carry a compressed air tank from my paintball marker and a locomotive air horn. That ought to do the trick.

OC - Kimber Custom II - trijicon night sights, beveled mag well, and Wilson combat mags
    CC/OC Sig Sauer 229 - trijicon night sights

Post imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Ill carry a compressed air tank from my paintball marker and a locomotive air horn. That ought to do the trick.
    I'm thinking about buying one of those train horns after I get a new truck.

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    § 46.2-1060. Illegal sirens, whistles, etc.; unlawful use of warning devices; exceptions.
    It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use on any vehicle any siren or exhaust, compression or spark plug whistle, or horn except as may be authorized in this title. It shall be unlawful for any vehicle operated on a public highway to be equipped with any warning device that is not of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent. It shall further be unlawful for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. However, vehicles of common carriers or extraordinarily large and heavy vehicles may be equipped with such type of warning device as the Superintendent may require or permit.
    Notwithstanding the provisions of this article, a siren, bell, or supplemental horn may be used on a vehicle as a noisemaker for an alarm system if the device is installed so as to prohibit actuation of the system by the driver while the vehicle is in motion.
    (Code 1950, § 46-290; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-284; 1962, c. 146; 1970, c. 283; 1989, c. 727.)

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    § 46.2-1060. Illegal sirens, whistles, etc.; unlawful use of warning devices; exceptions.
    It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use on any vehicle any siren or exhaust, compression or spark plug whistle, or horn except as may be authorized in this title. It shall be unlawful for any vehicle operated on a public highway to be equipped with any warning device that is not of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent. It shall further be unlawful for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. However, vehicles of common carriers or extraordinarily large and heavy vehicles may be equipped with such type of warning device as the Superintendent may require or permit.
    Notwithstanding the provisions of this article, a siren, bell, or supplemental horn may be used on a vehicle as a noisemaker for an alarm system if the device is installed so as to prohibit actuation of the system by the driver while the vehicle is in motion.
    (Code 1950, § 46-290; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-284; 1962, c. 146; 1970, c. 283; 1989, c. 727.)
    My buddy cited some guy for using his truck horn illegally by using this code section a little while ago. The guy, in his 40's, blew his horn at two girls in middle school (around 13 years old) and yelled something sexual out the window towards them while slowing down. Although it was tossed in court, it was funny to see the guy try to defend his reputation and attempt to explain why he thought the girls walking out in front of the middle school when it let out were older than middle school (all while in a packed court room).

Post imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    My buddy cited some guy for using his truck horn illegally by using this code section a little while ago. The guy, in his 40's, blew his horn at two girls in middle school (around 13 years old) and yelled something sexual out the window towards them while slowing down. Although it was tossed in court, it was funny to see the guy try to defend his reputation and attempt to explain why he thought the girls walking out in front of the middle school when it let out were older than middle school (all while in a packed court room).
    I bet!

Post imported post

I didn't say I was actually going to use it. There's nothing illegal about having it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emRBNXj0n94

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    I didn't say I was actually going to use it. There's nothing illegal about having it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emRBNXj0n94
    Right, but the first part says "Vehicles equipped with"

Maybe you can get it approved by the superintendent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast