• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at GMU

nova

imported post

I noticed the following poster on the wall in a classroom today. I was disturbed when I read the following:

• If a person enters a building with a weapon immediately evacuate the building.
If a person is seen with a weapon outdoors, immediately seek shelter in the
nearest building.
Contact University Police and provide as much information as possible about the situation.
• Warn other people in the area, provide assistance as needed, and remain calm.
• Locate a secure area or building and follow shelter in place procedures (above).
• Follow instructions provided by emergency response personnel.

http://ehs.gmu.edu/docs/EmergencyActionFlyer.pdf

Perhaps someone should remind the university that open carry on GMU's campus is legal, as upheld by Fairfax Circuit Court. Advising students to run inside and call 911 because someone is carrying a firearm is wasting resources that should be reserved for actual emergencies, and creates unwarranted alarm.

While I'm at it, I might as well mention this:

http://ehs.gmu.edu/guides/WorkplaceandOnCampusViolenceResponse.pdf

Pay attention to the recommended actions to respond to a violent threat. I think they forgot to add "blow whistle, induce vomiting" like Chicago has recommended.

hunter45

imported post

Hmm...I saw someone OC'ing last month on campus and no one called the police, no one warned others about the 'gunman', and no one took shelter. They did, however, remain calm, just as the poster says! :D

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

nova wrote:
I noticed the following poster on the wall in a classroom today. I was disturbed when I read the following:

• If a person enters a building with a weapon immediately evacuate the building.
If a person is seen with a weapon outdoors, immediately seek shelter in the
nearest building.
Contact University Police and provide as much information as possible about the situation.
• Warn other people in the area, provide assistance as needed, and remain calm.
• Locate a secure area or building and follow shelter in place procedures (above).
• Follow instructions provided by emergency response personnel.

http://ehs.gmu.edu/docs/EmergencyActionFlyer.pdf

Perhaps someone should remind the university that open carry on GMU's campus is legal, as upheld by Fairfax Circuit Court. Advising students to run inside and call 911 because someone is carrying a firearm is wasting resources that should be reserved for actual emergencies, and creates unwarranted alarm.

While I'm at it, I might as well mention this:

http://ehs.gmu.edu/guides/WorkplaceandOnCampusViolenceResponse.pdf

Pay attention to the recommended actions to respond to a violent threat. I think they forgot to add "blow whistle, induce vomiting" like Chicago has recommended.
Put this together in an email and I will put it in the next VCDL Update... send to president@vcdl.org

nova

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
nova wrote: Put this together in an email and I will put it in the next VCDL Update... send to president@vcdl.org
Done.

I'd like to keep a low profile however, in terms of who I am, where I am, and what I do. :)

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Hey, I'm not a student. Should I be making a trip up to my old haunts at GMU???
yes. :dude:

altajava wrote:
How many of us remember when they sold beer in SU1 at the Rathskeller:shock:.
I do!

(they changed into a Damons Grill a while back but changed back last year. Even with the name changes, they always sold alcohol)

nova

imported post

altajava wrote:
I could've sworn they stopped selling beer there around '92. When did the weekly "disagreements" with the rugby team stop happening?
That was a little before my time so I can't say they didn't stop selling beer at one time.

AbNo

imported post

nova wrote:
Take that to its logical conclusion.

Do it every time you see a police officer.

nova

imported post

nova wrote:
Great. I'm saddened to find the following:

Carry a whistle or other means of making a loud noise.

http://www.gmu.edu/depts/police/asr/safetyreport09.pdf

Unfortunately, GMU prohibits people from carrying in buildings other means of making a loud noise. Something that a loud noise is only a side effect of...

hunter45

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
I'll put my air horn in my backpack.
Ill carry a compressed air tank from my paintball marker and a locomotive air horn. That ought to do the trick. :D

I'm thinking about buying one of those train horns after I get a new truck. :)