• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at GMU

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
I'll put my air horn in my backpack.
Ill carry a compressed air tank from my paintball marker and a locomotive air horn. That ought to do the trick. :D

I'm thinking about buying one of those train horns after I get a new truck. :)
§ 46.2-1060. Illegal sirens, whistles, etc.; unlawful use of warning devices; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use on any vehicle any siren or exhaust, compression or spark plug whistle, or horn except as may be authorized in this title. It shall be unlawful for any vehicle operated on a public highway to be equipped with any warning device that is not of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent. It shall further be unlawful for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. However, vehicles of common carriers or extraordinarily large and heavy vehicles may be equipped with such type of warning device as the Superintendent may require or permit.
Notwithstanding the provisions of this article, a siren, bell, or supplemental horn may be used on a vehicle as a noisemaker for an alarm system if the device is installed so as to prohibit actuation of the system by the driver while the vehicle is in motion.
(Code 1950, § 46-290; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-284; 1962, c. 146; 1970, c. 283; 1989, c. 727.)

NovaCop

imported post

nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Ill carry a compressed air tank from my paintball marker and a locomotive air horn. That ought to do the trick. :D

§ 46.2-1060. Illegal sirens, whistles, etc.; unlawful use of warning devices; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use on any vehicle any siren or exhaust, compression or spark plug whistle, or horn except as may be authorized in this title. It shall be unlawful for any vehicle operated on a public highway to be equipped with any warning device that is not of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent. It shall further be unlawful for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. However, vehicles of common carriers or extraordinarily large and heavy vehicles may be equipped with such type of warning device as the Superintendent may require or permit.
Notwithstanding the provisions of this article, a siren, bell, or supplemental horn may be used on a vehicle as a noisemaker for an alarm system if the device is installed so as to prohibit actuation of the system by the driver while the vehicle is in motion.
(Code 1950, § 46-290; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-284; 1962, c. 146; 1970, c. 283; 1989, c. 727.)
My buddy cited some guy for using his truck horn illegally by using this code section a little while ago. The guy, in his 40's, blew his horn at two girls in middle school (around 13 years old) and yelled something sexual out the window towards them while slowing down. Although it was tossed in court, it was funny to see the guy try to defend his reputation and attempt to explain why he thought the girls walking out in front of the middle school when it let out were older than middle school (all while in a packed court room).

nova

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

My buddy cited some guy for using his truck horn illegally by using this code section a little while ago. The guy, in his 40's, blew his horn at two girls in middle school (around 13 years old) and yelled something sexual out the window towards them while slowing down. Although it was tossed in court, it was funny to see the guy try to defend his reputation and attempt to explain why he thought the girls walking out in front of the middle school when it let out were older than middle school (all while in a packed court room).
I bet!:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
I didn't say I was actually going to use it. There's nothing illegal about having it. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emRBNXj0n94
Right, but the first part says "Vehicles equipped with"

Maybe you can get it approved by the superintendent? :lol::dude:
Install it as an alarm and maybe hide a test switch...The State Police did tighten it up some in the GA this year because they can't really control it.