• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Pistols? Under 700$

Your personal 1911 choice?

• Smith & Wesson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kimber

• Other

• Total voters

sevenplusone

imported post

Springfield Mil-Spec is the best choice in that price range. No doubt.

Good luck even finding a decent Kimber for that price...and even if you could I'd prefer the Springer.

45acpForMe

Chaingun81

imported post

I heard a lot of good things about Taurus, but also a lot of bad ones too. And I mean really bad ones - like it can go full auto on you. My favorite local store doesn't evensell it at all because of this.

While it might not be true, I would rather not take this chance of a carry gun. Never heard anything bad about Springfields, but they are a little hard to find.

I personally had the same dillemma a year and a half ago and my choice was Kimber. I got Kimber Custom II for just over $700. Springfields with same options run a little more than that. Mil-spec Springfields are cheaper, but they aremil-spec, so theydon't have any of the goodies you'd expecton a modern 1911. Plus, they are damn hard tofind sometimes.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Personally, I think RIA makes better guns than Kimber. Things like proper function, properly tuned extractors, steel mainspring housing lead me to this conclusion.

It doesn't hurt that the RIA Tactical is a full-featured 1911 easily in your price point.

RIA owners tend to like their guns more than Taurus owners, I've noticed. I love my two.

45acpForMe

imported post

I understand the OP set the arbitrary price of under $700. There are many good guns out there for just a bit more.

Don't count out Colts http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158553821

I got my Para Big Hawg for $785. If you browse gunbroker.com or other auction sites and come across a good deal you can get "the" gun you want for a great price. I originally bought a Springfield (which I like) before I found a good deal on a Colt. Both were new and the Colt was only about $100 more. So go with the gun you want and keep an eye open. If it doesn't come available in your timeframe you can fall back on other "good" options.

aktion

imported post

I'll put my vote in for Springfield, as I carry the GI model. Only downside is the dark combat sights. I'd spring for the next one up, but only for that reason. I've only ever had a FTE with Wolf, but since then I've been using only Wilson Combat magazines and brass cased ammo, and no problem.

sevenplusone

imported post

aktion wrote:
I'll put my vote in for Springfield, as I carry the GI model. Only downside is the dark combat sights. I'd spring for the next one up, but only for that reason. I've only ever had a FTE with Wolf, but since then I've been using only Wilson Combat magazines and brass cased ammo, and no problem.
The GI models are nice guns, but the better sights and lowered ejection port are definately worth the upgrade.

hp-hobo

imported post

Hands down, the best buy for that kind of moneyare the Metro Arms 1911's. Metro Arms is a Philippine manufacturer that make firearms that are a step up in quality from Armscor (RIA). They're sold in this country as American Classic or Firestorm (not to be confused with the old Spanish Firestorm) and come in both Government and Deluxe models. With just a little shopping they can be had for $400 or less.

metro_arms_american_classic.jpg

The one my son has is carried daily and has operated flawlessly right out of the box with both the factory supplied mag (Italian made, I forget the name) and also surprisingly with the cheapest $6 "mil-spec surplus" we can find at gun shows. And with the money you save you can still get some nice grips, extra mags and a holster.

Definitely two thumbs up.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Philippines is definitely a good place to get quality guns at a low price.

However, I'd say "hands down" is a little strong for two guns which are essentially in the same price/quality bracket (give or take).

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=496025

I love these inexpensive 1911s, but nobody take anybody's word for it. Go inspect a few, see what suits your fancy.

BTW, the Italian mfg is almost certainly ACT-MAGs. They build the mag bodies for Novak's, Wolff, and at least one other if I recall.

Bagman

imported post

IMO Rock Island pistols are an excellent choice. The tactical models come with good sights, extended beavertail, upgraded hammer and trigger. They also come with a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. Several posts say "RIA's are excellent guns for the money." Remember these guns are made in the Philippines where labor is cheap. If they were made here in the US, they would be $700 and up all day long. Would that make you feel better buying one?

Again, I don't think you could go wrong with a Rock Island.

Cali OCer 88

imported post

I agree with the RIA suggestion. I don't know what it is about their pistols, but the way they feel in my hand and the recoil just feels smoother compared to any Kimbers, Springers, and GSRs I've shot.

Just my $.02. Like everyone says, "Don't buy a gun unless you've shot it!"

And good luck with your purchase. You can't go wrong with a John Browning design. ;)

Abraxxas

imported post

I love my Springfield Mil-Spec, got it used at a great price and they dont come with many bells and whistles so... if you're the kind of guy who likes to customize things this gives you a perfect place to start. I've done a few addons to mine and have it pretty close to the way I want it now. It's accurate, reliable and a dream to shoot. The Mil-Spec is with the extra cash too, you get higher 3 dot sights, lowered and flared ejection port, beveled magwell, polished feed ramp and the slide serrarations are angled to match the grip instead of straight up and down... more asthetically pleasing I think.

Here's mine!

DSC_0029_640x415.jpg

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT1911AR and Llama MicroMax. (the MicroMax is a shrunken 1911)

If it's not JB, it's not good enough.

shad0wfax

imported post

I'll chime in for Springfield Armory Inc. as well.

You can find Kimbers available for that price if you are patient and find one on sale, but the Springfields should always be around that price.

EDIT: I voted for a Kimber, because that's the 1911 I prefer, but if the $700 price ceiling is firm, Springfield Armory gets my vote without a doubt.

AbNo

imported post

As a RIA owner, I am quite please with mine. Have been for a couple of years now.

I just wish it had a front rail. Then again, it wouldn't fit in my Serpa if it did. Best $400 I ever spent. :D

230therapy

imported post

Getting a reliable 1911 for around $700 could be a difficult task. I don't just consider the cost of the gun in the overall cost. I include the break-in period--which includes ammo, range fees and gunsmithing.

The good news is that once you get a holster it will fit any 1911 (assuming a non-railed
version).

Springfield Armory Compact:

Gunsmith couldn't get this to run. I did my 500 round break-in and it never got through a magazine without a failure to feed.

Springfield Armory Loaded (M9109):

It needed break-in, but only 150 rounds or so. It worked well until 1000-1200 rounds or so. It started jamming badly. I tried different mags and so forth. I suspect the actual problem was the extractor needed tuning. I don't know if there were other problems.

Colt XSE Stainless:

Worked fine with all ammo I tried. I purchased it used with around 600 rounds on it. My only gripe was the goofy beavertail...it pressed downward on the web of my hand. It is the only change I'd make to the gun.

A friend of mine has two S&W 1911's. Both needed the plunger tube changed. While he was at it, he removed all the MIM parts.

Another friend has the Colt WW I Repro. It had some issues in the first 200 rounds, as did his Kimber Warrior. Both seemed to have settled down.

Several of us have become convinced that a high end 1911 from a reputable shop that provides excellent service is the way to go. The reason is that you will get the EXACT gun you want that is tuned and ready to go.

You should research the Springfield Armory GI series of guns:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=97065

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=259866