• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Pistols? Under 700$

Your personal 1911 choice?

• Smith & Wesson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kimber

• Other

• Total voters

230therapy

imported post

Various actions were taken by the 'smith and the jamming continued.

I should have sent the Loaded to SA for work, but I was done at that point.

My next gun will be a Fusion Firearms gun.

Don Barnett

imported post

Heard GREAT things about Taurus PT 1911 so I bought one at the gun show last weekend.

I took it to the range and about every 5th round failed to extract (the extractor slid over the case rim), causing it to be completely out of action. The next round in the magazine hung up on the empty case requiring me to pullthe slide completely back, drop the magazine, let the slide go home and then manually pull the slide back to extract the empty case. NOT GOOD FOR A DEFENSIVE WEAPON!!

This happened with several brands of magazines and ammunition. It did not happen with Remington Golden Sabers, although I only fired 25 of those rounds. This is not good as they are prohibitively expensive.

I researched this problem on the internet and found a blog from someone with the same problem and one answer is to replace the extractor with one made by Wilson. My neighbor is an armor for the Homeland Security Agency andcould possibly do the job.

Has anyone else had this problem? I do not want to send it back to Taurus. It IS a very accurate pistol, but I would NOT recommend buying one right now.

GWbiker

imported post

My choice is RIA GI spec 1911. I have two. Inexpensive, dependable and reliable, they shoot as well as my Colt 1911A1.

Many Colt series 70 parts will fit the RIA 1911.

AbNo

imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
Heard GREAT things about Taurus PT 1911 so I bought one at the gun show last weekend.

I took it to the range and about every 5th round failed to extract (the extractor slid over the case rim), causing it to be completely out of action. The next round in the magazine hung up on the empty case requiring me to pullthe slide completely back, drop the magazine, let the slide go home and then manually pull the slide back to extract the empty case. NOT GOOD FOR A DEFENSIVE WEAPON!!

This happened with several brands of magazines and ammunition. It did not happen with Remington Golden Sabers, although I only fired 25 of those rounds. This is not good as they are prohibitively expensive.

Has anyone else had this problem? I do not want to send it back to Taurus. It IS a very accurate pistol, but I would NOT recommend buying one right now.
Yes, it's called "the break-in period".

Take that gun you just bought that's probably been sitting on shelves and tables for months, clean it, lube it (Break-Free for mine), put a little extra oil (actual gun oil) where the slide and the frame mate, and go back out.

I had to do this for my XD-40 when it was given to me after it had been sitting in a box for many months. A clean up, a light dab of extra oil, and I have not had another problem out of it.

Same with my RIA 1911, and a friend of mine's PT-92, two guns which I would also recommend.

Perfectly normal.

JJ

imported post

marshaul wrote:
JJ wrote:
Not sure if it's still available

Colt Combat Delta Elite in 10mm.
Stop making me jealous.

This is like the single 1911 which I not only cannot afford, but actually seriously want.
Sorry!!! If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't buy it now if I wanted to.

My pay has been declining with the economy.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It would make me feel better if you sold me yours at bottom-dollar. :p

Sorry to hear that, though. But at least you got one of those beautiful sexy machines while the picking was ripe. :)

JJ

imported post

marshaul wrote:
It would make me feel better if you sold me yours at bottom-dollar. :p

Sorry to hear that, though. But at least you got one of those beautiful sexy machines while the picking was ripe. :)

:what: Sorry again, as much as I would like to give you that warm fuzzy feeling, I vowed (to myself) I would never sell any of my guns. ;)

Don Barnett

imported post

I'm married, my wife still works and I'm RETIRED! She doesn't even know I bought the gun, let alone go to the range!!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
I researched this problem on the internet and found a blog from someone with the same problem and one answer is to replace the extractor with one made by Wilson.  My neighbor is an armor for the Homeland Security Agency and could possibly do the job.
This is very easy to do yourself.

I recommend the C&S (Cylinder and Slide make) extractor, as theirs is the only one made today out of actual SPRING STEEL, as per the original John Browning design.

There's really no reason to ever replace an extractor with anything but one of those. If the factory extractor works, don't fix it, of course. Once it loses its tension, you want to get a proper spring steel extractor. And none of that AFTEC crap.

As for the installation, removing the extractor is a part of the detail strip which you should be comfortable with (very easy on a 1911).

You may have to fit the new extractor in its channel as it will be slightly oversized, but this is accomplished easily and quickly using strips of polish-grade sandpaper held under tension in a curved shape with the to-be-filed end of the extractor as the focus.

I consider this to be trivial, if you can sand a round object (not very hard).

The only part which takes any thought or money is the tuning stage. The extractor needs to be set somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds of tension, or thereabouts. So you need to buy a light weight trigger pull weight gauge (get one that reads in ounces for guns with target triggers). You also need to buy some of these extractor tension gauges, which are at one end the diameter of the rim of a .45 case and are shaped so that they can be pulled on (the same way a case ejects) by your trigger pull gauge. Then you just set the tension as explained in this article.

It's really very easy and no more expensive than a gunsmith, plus your gun is only out of commission for the length of the job, instead of many days.

I would do this myself 100% of the time.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The first 1911 I bought was a Taurus, It is still one of the best guns that I own. Check out their website for a list of standard features that most other companies charge you for.

44HP

imported post

I have a Taurus 1911 and it is one of the best shooting pistols I own. They really need a good cleaning when first bought though. I've fired hundreds of FMJ's through it with no problems to speak of.

Sammy.J

imported post

I have owned several Springfield and Kimbers. My Taurus shoots as well and any of these have for me. I use the Taurus for Open Carry and the others for CCW as I get them in compact versions.

neddis

imported post

I just picked up a Citadel (Armscor) officer size 1911. I LOVE IT. I actually sold a Springfield mil spec commander size 1911 to get it. Nothing wrong with the Springfield, I just wanted something smaller. I don't know yet about withstanding the test of time, but out of the box, my Citadel is just awesome. It shoots some very nice sized groups, is comfortable to shoot, etc. I can't say enough good about it. I got it for $500. I know that is too much, but I could not find anyone with this particular gun in stock. Anyway, based on my experience, get an Armscor 1911 and spend the extra on Crimson Trace grips or something.

Don Barnett

imported post

I never found that the .45 ACPis particularly rough recoil wise; but I found that the compact pistols were hard to handle. This is because the grips are smaller than my hand causing the pistol to "wiggle" too much when fired. Therefore, I prefer the full framed 1911's.