• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trunk handgun carry?

storm22

imported post

can i put a loaded handgun in the trunk in a serpa holster just to go through IN? i live in KY and its legal here to glovebox carry with no CCW. so can i put it in the trunk?

Timjoebillybob

imported post

If you don't have a permit, it's against IN law to transport a handgun except home/fixed place of business from place of purchase, to and from a place of repair, and if your moving. Yes unfortunately we have to have a license to even go the the range.

If your traveling through IN lets say to get to MI, you would be covered under federal law. But it has to be unloaded and either in the trunk or if the vehicle does not have a trunk in a locked case. And you can't make any stops that are not necessary to continue the trip. ie gas and such.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

Skippy

After reading this thread I have to ask. What's the defferance between Indiana and Chicago or for that matter, Illinois?

Colorado

Indiana recognizes any state or foreign country's carry permit. If you're not an Indiana resident, you can have any other state's res or non-res permit and you're good to go. If you're an Indiana resident, you have to have an Indiana LTCH. Once you have a permit in your possession, you can carry any way you want. You can carry with it taped to your forehead if you like. I'd say that's a pretty big difference, wouldn't you?

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

Yes you can carry in Ind but not in ill, legally. I make sure I high tail it thru Ill when I go thru there.

protect our rights

After reading this thread I have to ask. What's the defferance between Indiana and Chicago or for that matter, Illinois?

(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s identification Card;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lincoln7

except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s identification Card;

Does this include a recognized (ie: any other state's) carry permit? I am having difficulty finding if I can carry in a vehicle in IN with a VA concealed permit. (I understand I can conceal carry only)

Ken8521

If you have a Virginia Permit (or any other permit for that matter) you can carry concealed in a vehicle, simple as that.

protect our rights

Thank you, Sir. That's quite simple.

If you have reason to stay in Indiana for any length of time, multiple times; you should consider getting the Indiana permit as well. At least then here in Indiana you would be able to carry with more comfort, and without the fear of printing. The nice thing about this would be that you would then be able to OC in most other OC states.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
If you have reason to stay in Indiana for any length of time, multiple times; you should consider getting the Indiana permit as well...

Indiana does not issue the LTCH to non-residents unless they have a regular place of business or employment in Indiana.

...you would be able to carry with more comfort, and without the fear of printing.

Unlike Texas or Florida, concealment is not a requirement of a Virginia CCP. Holders may still carry openly or concealed with it. They may do the same while in Indiana.

protect our rights

Indiana does not issue the LTCH to non-residents unless they have a regular place of business or employment in Indiana.

Unlike Texas or Florida, concealment is not a requirement of a Virginia CCP. Holders may still carry openly or concealed with it. They may do the same while in Indiana.

I was talking along the lines of what our state law says. Which I'm sure if he was interested he would have found out. Also I was assuming he knew the laws of his home state when he said he could ONLY CC. I have since found that as you said there is no law against this in Virginia. If what he was saying was ture then it WOULD be nice to have a non-resident OC permit so that he could OC in states where it were allowed.