• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Toy from the Show.

Batousaii

imported post

~ A late report, and a little OT, but this is my new toy. when i got out of the Army (infantry) I found myself with a ton of magazines, harnesses, mag pouches ect. that uncle sam didn't want back. So finally I am able to put all those mags and accessories to use. Since most of my firearms interests is iconic or historical, i decided to go old school.

~ Here is a semi auto version of the Vietnam era XM177E2 Commando. I have a couple minor details to replace, like finding a tear drop forward asst, and i am keeping the current barrel too. The original barrel actually had a moderatorthat isnow considered a class-II item, and the current barrel uses current ammo easily, an acceptable divergence. It does have the correct A1 style lower receiver too (an old stop sign logo SGW / Oly arms- forged), so the external appearances are pretty accurate for the era.

More Info onera M16 rifles seehttp://retroblackrifle.pullig.com/

amlevin

imported post

I've had the same (SGW) rifle since 1984. Great close quarters weapon but the rifled part of the barrel is less than 11". Anything over 100 yards and it "patterns" like a shotgun.

The originals made by SGW kind of got their mammary gland in the wringer. They had M-16 bolt carriers, disconnects, hammers, triggers, and selectors. The lower was not drilled for the extra pin that held the "butterfly" (auto sear) that made it full autobut BATF didn't like all the old full auto parts. They really didn't like the XM177 barrel. It was 11.5" long and it had a "flash supressor" that wasn't permanently attached (now they have to be welded/pinned). Changing the flash supressor to an A-2 type made the weapon an SBR.

Sadly, mine has been "legalized" but it's still fun to shoot. It sits in original condition next to a heavy barrelled model and an M-4 style AR-15. Now all I need is another "Sultan Pit" to go shoot them in.

Oh, I forgot. I bought my SGW in 1984 for the magnificent sum of $295.:lol::lol:

amlevin

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
OOOOOH, I want one. Probably pretty expensive to shoot though.

If you shoot new ammo it's $0.40 per round. If you reload, and have lots of brass, it's only $0.16 per "bang".

I have three of these "mouths to feed" (at least all have the same receiver groups, just different barrels) and I have to reload to support them.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

amlevin wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
OOOOOH, I want one. Probably pretty expensive to shoot though.

If you shoot new ammo it's $0.40 per round. If you reload, and have lots of brass, it's only $0.16 per "bang".

I have three of these "mouths to feed" (at least all have the same receiver groups, just different barrels) and I have to reload to support them.
Well I would like to adopt one of these "mouths to feed" ;)

Batousaii

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Great close quarters weapon but the rifled part of the barrel is less than 11". Anything over 100 yards and it "patterns" like a shotgun.
- hehe true, not a target rifle.
:DI got more accurate toys in 7.62x51 NATO if accuracy is an issue. However, i used to bench rest a Ruger 10" bull barrel pistol at 100 yards and was hitting a 4" wood blocks. I also had to do qualifications with a well worn M-4 carbine, those have a 14" light barrel and we were consistently hitting 300 meter targets. I notice the barrel on mine was really thick under the guard, only necking down to look original at the front sight unit, hopefully that makes up for the 2"loss off the M-4. All in all i know this isn't a target rifle by any means, but I am pretty sure that i can tag 100 to 300meter combat targets with this, duplicating my M-4 performance most likely. a day at the range should be in order. Alas, we bought it mostly as a house gun should the pistol be inadequate, and I agree with you, it's primary role is as a shorter distance light rifle. My wife and I both like it's light weight and small stature. added bonus, it completes a nice era specific collection - and it's dang sexy, especially in her hands

;)P.S. - Poo - your 18 right ? or soon to be? only need to be 18 for rifles, i got mine at the gun show.

amlevin

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
amlevin wrote:
Great close quarters weapon but the rifled part of the barrel is less than 11". Anything over 100 yards and it "patterns" like a shotgun.
- hehe true, not a target rifle.
:DI got more accurate toys in 7.62x51 NATO if accuracy is an issue.
Likewise. I recently bought a Remington 700SS 5-R Milspec which is sort of a civilian version of the M-24 Sniper Rifle. Same Barrel, just 2" shorter and an H-S Precision stock instead of the McMillan. Also a couple of thou cheaper ($1100 new).

It shoots 3/4" groups at 300 yards with 175 gr handloads.

For my AR "tack driver" I have one I built using a Stag Arms Lower, a Bravo Company Upper, a Bushmaster Dissapator barrel (16" heavy barrel), and Brownell's Carbine Stock. It puts them in one hole at 100 yards if I do my part. At 300 yards it shoots inside one inch with 77gr SMK's.

The neat part about AR's is they are like Erector Sets. You can build almost anything you want from Pistol to Rifle and lots of fun stuff in between.

My next AR will more likely than not be an AR style 308 or a 6.8 SPC. Probably the latter because I can just swap uppers with any of my lowers.

amlevin

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
amlevin wrote:

The neat part about AR's is they are like Erector Sets. You can build almost anything you want from Pistol to Rifle and lots of fun stuff in between.
not everybody can do that,,, thats the NFA area, you cant go there without apecial permission.:lol:
Even staying outside the NFA area you can still have fun. An AR Lower can mount numerous uppers equipped with calibers like .223/5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 50 Beowulf. Anything with a cartridge base similar to the .223 and 2.260 max length. Pistols do require a lower that was registered as a Pistol. Keep barrel lengths over 16" and no full auto:Xand you are good to go.