• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger P95 (with rail) holster advice

rmansu2

imported post

WWB and Winchester 147gr hollow points. Recently using Remington 115gr because it's all I could find. Also do my own reloads with 115gr cast lead bullets. Only a few hickups. Usually after 200-300 rounds I'll get 1 or 2 fail to feeds. Last time at the range shot 250 before the first one. Lubed the slide and put 100 more through it without another problem.

You?

rmansu2

imported post

Did you try tucked in your pants or just between the pants and belt? Maybe a thicker belt would help. I actually bought a belt specifically for the purposes of carrying a holstered firearm and it definately helped.

anyamaboy

imported post

I tried both, but I like it tucked in the pants and belt because it provides more stability. I've found that I have a better draw if I push the butt out a little. It helps clear the passive retention better than before. I ended up shaving off a little bit on the passive retention "knobs". I didn't take too much off, because someone coming from behind still can't get it. Actually, the trigger guard was starting to shave off some of the plastic there too, I just helped it along a bit.

On another note, the roto aspect of the holster is very well designed. There are notches that help keep the holster at the proper angle and the screw tightens it so it won't budge. It's not just a screw like I originally thought. The only downside is that there is not as much area connecting the paddle to the holster, therefore making it more prone to break under pressure of struggle.

anyamaboy

imported post

The other problem with the retention being so hard to pull was that the 2 pointy notches on the joint were digging into my side every time I would draw, or I should say, try to draw. I rarely got the pistol out with one hand until I modified the holster. Now they don't dig in as bad because the retention is not as strong.

anyamaboy

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
That's the one I found on their site, but I have yet to hear of it actually making it to a customer. The backstock date has been moved every month for what seems like 2 years. Let me know if/when you get it and what you think.

I got my Serpa today, and I absolutely love it. It fits great, and it even came with a belt/paddle interchangeable kit for $36 delivered. No over-retention problem like the Fobus, but it keeps the pistol in place. It even has belt notches that keep it solidly on the belt so it doesn't go up or down like the Fobus did to me. Overall, an excellent buy! I recommend it!

rmansu2

imported post

I found where you said that earlier and looked on ebay. The sale closed Sunday. I emailed the seller and am waiting on a reply. I decided I didn't want to pay Blackhawk $50 for something they can't seem to find.

anyamaboy

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
I found where you said that earlier and looked on ebay. The sale closed Sunday. I emailed the seller and am waiting on a reply. I decided I didn't want to pay Blackhawk $50 for something they can't seem to find.

Sorry to hear about your runarounds... Hope things work out for you! I've been OCing mine and it has worked great so far. It came with the belt attachment on the holster, but I ended up switching to the paddle holster that came with it and it is working out great for on/off use in the car.