• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger P95 (with rail) holster advice

Gunfreak25

imported post

Been an OC for awhile now, but recently picked up a Ruger P95 to be my new open carry piece. It's the 2nd generation, also known as the newer P95 with the integral rail and stippled grip texture.

Having issues finding a decent holster for this thing. I went to the Sprauges, our largest gunstore today to try and find a good fitting one. No luck really. I want to go with a hard paddle style holster, open top like the Uncle Mikes Kydex. They do indeed make one for the P95, but it's for the older P95 without the rail. The rail does make it a bit thicker. An Uncle Mikes sidekick size 16 fit very well and I was about ready to buy it, luckily I noticed it was a left handed firstholster, I put it back. :lol: I think I may go with the size 16 sidekick, but If you guys know of any inexpensive hard polymer style holsters (like a Fobus) that fits the new P95 i'd appreciate it if you'd let me know! -Tom

Gunfreak25

imported post

Never mind guys, went to the store again today and this time someone was there that was nice enough to help me find a holster. I found the Uncle Mikes size 16 super belt slide holster fits pretty darn well. It's actually a concealment style holster, very flat. Can be worn to keep the muzzle pointed straight down or the butt end more forward. I prefer the later. Thumb snap works really well, pistol is extremely secure and sits close to the torso so it would be near impossible for the common thug to disarm you. If anyone has the P95 with rail, I'd definitely recommend this holster! :)

rmansu2

imported post

I had the same problem. I bought the Fobus RU-97 and it fits perfect. Snug fit, definately have to practice the draw. Serpa is supposed to have a Blackhawk on the market but I hear it's on backorder til March. Fobus is a paddle style, Kydex, open top holster.

Is the sidekick that Nylon Paddle holster? I bought one of those because it was cheap and ended up cutting about 2.5 inches off of it because I wasn't comfortable with how long the holster was compared to the P95.

Hopefully, I'll get my hands on the Serpa soon. I'll let you know what I think when I do.

55bowtie

imported post

I just bought a P95 with the rail and i bought a fobus SP11 For a springfield armory and h&k p2000 i got this cause it was the only lefty i could find.It fits perfect i give 19.00 on e bay.I read somewhere on the net that this holster did work so i ordered it.

55bowtie

imported post

I just bought a P95 with the rail and i bought a fobus SP11 For a springfield armory and h&k p2000 i got this cause it was the only lefty i could find.It fits perfect i give 19.00 on e bay.I read somewhere on the net that this holster did work so i ordered it.

55bowtie

imported post

rmansu2

imported post

Buy direct from Fobus Holsters.

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/CZ_P_01_40P_PADDLE_HOLSTER-3431-86.html

The picture on this page actually has theKP95 in the holster. Be sure you think about your carry position if you get a fixed paddle. Draw angle makes a difference with this holster. I haven't tried nor have I heard anything about there other styles. But I love my RU97.

rmansu2

imported post

It depends on what your looking for. I bought the canted holster because of the position I carry my gun. If you don't want a straight draw or 15 degree cant, the roto paddle is your choice. I don't have any experience with the roto paddle, so I can't give anymore input.

Good Luck and carry on

rmansu2

imported post

My opinion, they are hard to pull but only because you have to have the draw angle correct. I wouldn't change the holster to "loosen it up". I like it tight especially because it's the only thing that keeps the gun in the holster.

anyamaboy

imported post

Well, the pistol and holster have arrived. I was happy with the pistol, and the retention of the holster, but it was a 2 handed operation to draw until I heated the trigger guard part of the holster and left a AA battery in it overnight. It has since loosened a bit, but still securely retains the gun. There is too much of a gap in the area designed for the belt(3/8 inch) so it flaps around, thus making the draw insecure and the angle extremely hard to attain. I found a Serpa that's supposed to fit, so I ordered it to use when I OC.

Pics to follow when I can get my camera working.

*edit: here is one pic. I'll post the others in a new post

rmansu2

imported post

anyamaboy wrote:
Well, the pistol and holster have arrived. I was happy with the pistol, and the retention of the holster, but it was a 2 handed operation to draw until I heated the trigger guard part of the holster and left a AA battery in it overnight. It has since loosened a bit, but still securely retains the gun. There is too much of a gap in the area designed for the belt(3/8 inch) so it flaps around, thus making the draw insecure and the angle extremely hard to attain. I found a Serpa that's supposed to fit, so I ordered it to use when I OC.

Pics to follow when I can get my camera working.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the holster. Let me know if the serpa works out for you. I've been looking to upgrade to the serpa but haven't been able to get my hands on one that works with the P95. What model Serpa did you purchase?

rmansu2

imported post

That's the one I found on their site, but I have yet to hear of it actually making it to a customer. The backstock date has been moved every month for what seems like 2 years. Let me know if/when you get it and what you think.

anyamaboy

imported post

The ebay seller shipped it today First class mail. I should have it by the end of the week. It's coming from MA.
I'll let you know about it. It still has 28 days on the auction, but only 4 available.

What kind of ammo do you use for your P95?