• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could an Illinois "fanny pack movement" lead to gun carry reform?

TyGuy

imported post

A FOID card is required to own a firearm in Illinois.

As far as the mag thing goes: again people have been arrested in Illinois for container carrying, but have been acquitted. If it was illegal to have the magazine loaded, but not inserted then they would have been convicted. However, if you aren't comfortable carrying that way then you don't have to.

IllinoisSlave

imported post

TyGuy wrote:
A FOID card is required to own a firearm in Illinois.

As far as the mag thing goes: again people have been arrested in Illinois for container carrying, but have been acquitted. If it was illegal to have the magazine loaded, but not inserted then they would have been convicted. However, if you aren't comfortable carrying that way then you don't have to.
The link I provided lists the cases where the precedents were set regarding container carry and loaded mags. That's good enough for me. I'm convinced that there is established legal precedent showing one can carry as has been described in this thread.

TyGuy

imported post

+1 IllinoisSlave

However this is something that each Illinois firearm owner must answer on their own. Whether they want to container carry or not. Have a great weekend everyone.

SAK

imported post

We've been promoting the idea of container carry EVENTS for years. Thanks to the excellent work in Wisconsin with open carry events promoted by OpenCarry.org and WisconsinCarry.org - along with the virtue that ICarry.org encompasses both states - we've been able to show Illinois gun owners Wisconsin's fantastic example. We've been BRINGING Illinois gun owners up to Wisconsin for open carry.

Right to carry knows no borders - and this is especially the case with Illinois and Wisconsin since we're the only 2 left without concealed carry provisions.

You've hit the nail on the head, Mike. Container carry events will be very successful in Illinois. We've been trying very hard to get the other groups on board with this, and I hope that in time they will get on board by helping to encourage people to exercise their rights. There are some small local-based groups that will help us with these events, and then perhaps eventually the other larger groups will see how effective it is and get on board as well.

devildoc5

just out of sheer curiosity (I will be visiting soon as I have family that lives in Whiteside County) Would something like this: http://usmcweapons.com/articles/Pistol/standard holster1.jpg with an extra little tab sewn on it to cover the grip be considered a "container" or not?

I have read that the "container" must enclose entirely the pistol, but does that mean it must be similar to a box with one open point, or would a "holster" (read container) with a flap that secures and completely covers the weapon be sufficient?

If anything I am asking is not clear I apologize....