• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Educating Out-of-Staters

azDutch

imported post

I'm new to this forum, but not new to OC'ing. I ride a Harley and OC a Ruger GP100 90% of the time. We have traveled extensivly around this state on two wheelsand never had an issue (my wife OC's her Ruger SP101 occasionally, especially if we are going to be insouthern third of the state).

I thought I would pass this along ... My wife and I took a little trip up to Roosevelt Lake recentlyand stopped at the visitor Center there to use the facilities. While I was waiting for her, a Minnesota snowbird walks up to me. He was intrigued that I was OC'ing and asked if it was legal here, if I needed a license, etc. I gave himthe basic "it's in our state constitution" explanation. he was totally amazed. I guess we have it good here compared to some places. I basically won't travel to other states where I can't OC or I am required to wear a helmet (generally the same state).

-Dutch

NY2AZ

imported post

I'm a relatively new member as well, and also a relatively new resident of Arizona. It is a wonderful place. I'm happy to be hears. Only thing I would as is that the cost of these freedoms are eternal vigilance. Let's not allow the liberal influx tarnish the freedoms we so cherish in Arizona.

Dahwg

imported post

I would encourage both of you to join the AZCDL. In AZ we are not only vigilant about our rights, but through groups like AZCDL we are constantly pressing to have more restored with each new legislative session.

Check out the website http://www.azcdl.org/

Michigander

imported post

azDutch wrote:
I basically won't travel to other states where I can't OC or I am required to wear a helmet (generally the same state).
So basically, you can't go very far west or east, but I believe you are free to go clear to Montana, and while you're that far north, mosey on over to the Dakota's.

Aside from the fact Highway 1 is off limits, I can't imagine a better, more scenic route.

Kildars

imported post

azDutch wrote:
I'm new to this forum, but not new to OC'ing. I ride a Harley and OC a Ruger GP100 90% of the time. We have traveled extensivly around this state on two wheelsand never had an issue (my wife OC's her Ruger SP101 occasionally, especially if we are going to be insouthern third of the state).

I thought I would pass this along ... My wife and I took a little trip up to Roosevelt Lake recentlyand stopped at the visitor Center there to use the facilities. While I was waiting for her, a Minnesota snowbird walks up to me. He was intrigued that I was OC'ing and asked if it was legal here, if I needed a license, etc. I gave himthe basic "it's in our state constitution" explanation. he was totally amazed. I guess we have it good here compared to some places. I basically won't travel to other states where I can't OC or I am required to wear a helmet (generally the same state).

-Dutch
Hopefully even though it's not mandated you still do wear a helmet.

Be safe!

azDutch

imported post

Michigander: Oh we have plenty of beautiful rides rights here in AZ: Sedona to Flagstaff via oak Creek Canyon, Morenci to Alpine via the Devil's Highway (Old US 666, now 191), Globe to Showlow via Salt River Canyon.. and those are just 3 off the top of my head :)

Kildar: I only wear a helmet when forced too.:?

-Dutch

Michigander

imported post

azDutch wrote:
Michigander: Oh we have plenty of beautiful rides rights here in AZ....
Which is one of many reasons why I can't wait to move back to AZ. I wanted to finish my auto mechanic degree in Michigan, because frankly the schools here seem to be a lot higher quality, particularly if you want to work on cars, but I am headed straight back that way just as soon as I am done. If I can swing it, I want to be a tech somewhere in northern AZ. Although, I would also be willing to settle on northern New Mexico for a while.

The one thing I am not going to do is ever live in the valley again.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Michigander wrote:
The one thing I am not going to do is ever live in the valley again.
Ha! I visited for a week and arrived at that conclusion!

I'm looking at land north east of Show Low now... The further from humans, the better!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've had several out-of-staters from Ohio, Michigan and even Kentucky of all places ask the same, permit, license, registration nonsense. It's pretty bad when I inform them thatOC is legal in their home states... and has been. Their jaws drop. The media has done a superb job in creating that myth of permitinto accepted truth. Goebbels was right.

azDutch

imported post

Iput together a composite map of nation-wide Helmet Laws and OC laws. I like it 'cuz I don't have to flip back & forth between websites when planning a trip. Damn I love living in Arizona! :D

Hope some of you find it useful.

Edited: I am trying to get clarification on Utah's out-of-state OC law while on a bike

-Dutch

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

azDutch wrote:
Iput together a composite map of nation-wide Helmet Laws and OC laws. I like it 'cuz I don't have to flip back & forth between websites when planning a trip. Damn I love living in Arizona! :D

Edited: I am trying to get clarification on Utah's out-of-state OC law while on a bike

-Dutch
Utah = 2 operations away from firing.

Or locked and loaded w/ permit.

I <3 your map.

mzbk2l

imported post

azDutch wrote:

-Dutch
Thanks, I'm definitely saving that one!

Machoduck

imported post

''Utah = 2 operations away from firing.''

Well, yea; the law is that you must have an empty chamber. I know, rack the slide and press the trigger etc. but thinking of it as two actions leads people to think maybe the two actions could be remove the safety and press the trigger. That just wouldn't do. A CFP neatly solves the problem; you're good to go however you want, CC or OC, chamber loaded or Israeli carry.

MD