Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: just heard a rumor from the total firearms manager...

Post imported post

just talked with the total firearms manager,and he told me that he heard from cops that on the 2011 ballot there is going to be something to ban open carry...

its all completely heresay,but just thought that if its true we should know about it and figure out what to do...i hope its not true.

but yep,thats what i heard,its going to be on the ballot for 2011
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

Gun shop legal advice is worth less than you pay for it.

If gun salesmen were good with guns, they'd be smiths. If they were good with laws, they'd be lawyers. Gun shop salesmen, with some good exceptions, are the lowest skilled people in the gun industry. This is why it pays not to listen to most of them.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Post imported post

and there is that pesky little thing called the Michigan constitution.

article 1 section 6

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.
    and this is a bad political climate to suggest any sort of gun control if you are a politician.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    just talked with the total firearms manager,and he told me that he heard from cops that on the 2011 ballot there is going to be something to ban open carry...

its all completely heresay,but just thought that if its true we should know about it and figure out what to do...i hope its not true.

Laws aren't enacted through ballot initiatives.

This was covered in your high school civics class.

Post imported post

Who knows if kids still have a civics class, When I was in school Spanish was a requirment to graduate. So who knows what kids have to go thru in school now.

Post imported post

CV67PAT wrote:

+1

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

So we might as well take this thread and throw it in the trash. Wishful thinking by an anti-OC range. Wonder if they work with Double Action.

Post imported post

Right that is explicitly protected by the State Constitution can not be removed through ballot initiative. Please correct me if I am wrong. It would require changing the State Constitution. No serious politician will tkae it on. History shows that these who push anti-gun initiatives might score short term points but always loose long term. This is not going to happen.

If we keep pushing, these who do not like will just have to accept it. If we keep pushing, we will become more like Arizona, where nobody even pays attention to OC anymore.

lapeer20m wrote:
    and there is that pesky little thing called the Michigan constitution.*

article 1 section 6

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.
    and this is a bad political climate to suggest any sort of gun control if you are a politician.*

Post imported post

I would not be so quick to dismiss rumors of enacting laws to control open carry since I have heard things (totally unsupportable and complete rumor/hearsay/gossip) that there might be support/talking with lawmakers from some areas of LE to come up with some kind of laws to control open carry.

Now before folks get their undies all bunched up.... what I've heard is exactly that... rumor. But it isn't coming from some gun shop employee either.

No... I'll not name who said what. Just a "heads up". But it is easy to understand that open carry made no friends in the LPD over the recent Ponderosa incident. And LPD isn't the only PD that has suffered embarrassment over open carry.

As far as changing Michigan's Constitution to prohibit open carry... that isn't necessary at all... all that is necessary is to require a permit to open carry.... a permit issued only after meeting certain "requirements".

Please do NOT read anything into the above. I said exactly what I said and nothing more.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned

Post imported post

Great, just what we need, is to have to get permission to use more of our rights.

I hope this is a rumor, I cant afford to move.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    I would not be so quick to dismiss rumors of enacting laws to control open carry since I have heard things (totally unsupportable and complete rumor/hearsay/gossip) that there might be support/talking with lawmakers from some areas of LE to come up with some kind of laws to control open carry.

Now before folks get their undies all bunched up.... what I've heard is exactly that... rumor. But it isn't coming from some gun shop employee either.

No... I'll not name who said what. Just a "heads up". But it is easy to understand that open carry made no friends in the LPD over the recent Ponderosa incident. And LPD isn't the only PD that has suffered embarrassment over open carry.

As far as changing Michigan's Constitution to prohibit open carry... that isn't necessary at all... all that is necessary is to require a permit to open carry.... a permit issued only after meeting certain "requirements".

Please do NOT read anything into the above. I said exactly what I said and nothing more.

It's a fact that the "embarrassment" felt by police departments comes from their lack of training and failure to keep their own officers up to date on Michigan firearms laws. Just because we open carry and police departments choose to not properly train their officers and blatantly disregard clarifications of open carry sent to all law enforcement agencies all over Michigan directly from the Attorney General Mike Cox himself is the fault of only themselves.

Any anti-gun legislation regardless of the content would be harshly criticized and shot down. Now the word was 2011 and I'm fairly certain with the political climate the Republicans are favored to take the house and the senate it's highly unlikely as a bill. Secondly licensing, creating laws, revoking laws are not done by ballot initiatives. That leaves it short of reality.

Banned
    Between the Soo and New Buffalo, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

It's not a rumor. But, hey. What do I know?

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    :quirky

Banned

Post imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:

Right. Like the whole medical marijuana law. That didn't get voted in by ballot initiative or anything.:quirky

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    You don't know jack, fudd(2), and you've proven it repeatedly.

Banned

Post imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    You are an idiot and prove it each time you post something. Go get a damn job will ya?

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    CV67PAT wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:

Right. Like the whole medical marijuana law. That didn't get voted in by ballot initiative or anything.:quirky
    Details, fudd(2), details?

Post imported post

Not only will it not happen good luck collecting more than 305,703 valid signatures to get the initiative on the ballot. Also the Michigan State Legislature can repeal and amend ballot initiatives by a 75% supermajority vote of each house or as otherwise provided by the initiative.

Banned

Post imported post

mikestilly wrote:
    Not only will it not happen good luck collecting more than 150000 valid signatures to get the initiative on the ballot.
    The Ponderosa incident alone will make getting 150,000 signatures easy to get.

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    CV67PAT wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    You are an idiot and prove it each time you post something. Go get a damn job will ya?
    He keeps trolling, and trolling, and trolling, and trolling...

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    mikestilly wrote:
    Not only will it not happen good luck collecting more than 150000 valid signatures to get the initiative on the ballot.
    And trolling, and trolling, and trolling, and trolling...

Banned

Post imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    CV67PAT wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:

So when the PEOPLE voted to LEGALIZE medical marijuana a new law wasn't created by ballot initiative? Oh tell me wise one what you mean? Fill us all in on our high school civics you idiot.

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    mikestilly wrote:
    Yeah sure. I'm sure CPL holders are running to get OC banned so they have to be worried about printing on top of PFZ's.

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    CV67PAT wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    CV67PAT wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:

So when the PEOPLE voted to LEGALIZE medical marijuana a new law wasn't created by ballot initiative? Oh tell me wise one what you mean? Fill us all in on our high school civics you idiot.
    And trolling, and trolling, and trolling, and trolling...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast