• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just heard a rumor from the total firearms manager...

lil_freak_66

imported post

just talked with the total firearms manager,and he told me that he heard from cops that on the 2011 ballot there is going to be something to ban open carry...

its all completely heresay,but just thought that if its true we should know about it and figure out what to do...i hope its not true.

but yep,thats what i heard,its going to be on the ballot for 2011

Michigander

imported post

Gun shop legal advice is worth less than you pay for it.

If gun salesmen were good with guns, they'd be smiths. If they were good with laws, they'd be lawyers. Gun shop salesmen, with some good exceptions, are the lowest skilled people in the gun industry. This is why it pays not to listen to most of them.

lapeer20m

imported post

and there is that pesky little thing called the Michigan constitution.

article 1 section 6

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

and this is a bad political climate to suggest any sort of gun control if you are a politician.

G

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
just talked with the total firearms manager,and he told me that he heard from cops that on the 2011 ballot there is going to be something to ban open carry...

its all completely heresay,but just thought that if its true we should know about it and figure out what to do...i hope its not true.

Laws aren't enacted through ballot initiatives.

This was covered in your high school civics class.

wally1120

imported post

Who knows if kids still have a civics class, When I was in school Spanish was a requirment to graduate. So who knows what kids have to go thru in school now.

sasha601

imported post

Right that is explicitly protected by the State Constitution can not be removed through ballot initiative. Please correct me if I am wrong. It would require changing the State Constitution. No serious politician will tkae it on. History shows that these who push anti-gun initiatives might score short term points but always loose long term. This is not going to happen.

If we keep pushing, these who do not like will just have to accept it. If we keep pushing, we will become more like Arizona, where nobody even pays attention to OC anymore.

lapeer20m wrote:
and there is that pesky little thing called the Michigan constitution. 

article 1 section 6

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

and this is a bad political climate to suggest any sort of gun control if you are a politician. 

B

Bikenut

imported post

I would not be so quick to dismiss rumors of enacting laws to control open carry since I have heard things (totally unsupportable and complete rumor/hearsay/gossip) that there might be support/talking with lawmakers from some areas of LE to come up with some kind of laws to control open carry.

Now before folks get their undies all bunched up.... what I've heard is exactly that... rumor. But it isn't coming from some gun shop employee either.

No... I'll not name who said what. Just a "heads up". But it is easy to understand that open carry made no friends in the LPD over the recent Ponderosa incident. And LPD isn't the only PD that has suffered embarrassment over open carry.

As far as changing Michigan's Constitution to prohibit open carry... that isn't necessary at all... all that is necessary is to require a permit to open carry.... a permit issued only after meeting certain "requirements".

Please do NOT read anything into the above. I said exactly what I said and nothing more.

mikestilly

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
I would not be so quick to dismiss rumors of enacting laws to control open carry since I have heard things (totally unsupportable and complete rumor/hearsay/gossip) that there might be support/talking with lawmakers from some areas of LE to come up with some kind of laws to control open carry.

Now before folks get their undies all bunched up.... what I've heard is exactly that... rumor. But it isn't coming from some gun shop employee either.

No... I'll not name who said what. Just a "heads up". But it is easy to understand that open carry made no friends in the LPD over the recent Ponderosa incident. And LPD isn't the only PD that has suffered embarrassment over open carry.

As far as changing Michigan's Constitution to prohibit open carry... that isn't necessary at all... all that is necessary is to require a permit to open carry.... a permit issued only after meeting certain "requirements".

Please do NOT read anything into the above. I said exactly what I said and nothing more.

It's a fact that the "embarrassment" felt by police departments comes from their lack of training and failure to keep their own officers up to date on Michigan firearms laws. Just because we open carry and police departments choose to not properly train their officers and blatantly disregard clarifications of open carry sent to all law enforcement agencies all over Michigan directly from the Attorney General Mike Cox himself is the fault of only themselves.

Any anti-gun legislation regardless of the content would be harshly criticized and shot down. Now the word was 2011 and I'm fairly certain with the political climate the Republicans are favored to take the house and the senate it's highly unlikely as a bill. Secondly licensing, creating laws, revoking laws are not done by ballot initiatives. That leaves it short of reality.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Right. Like the whole medical marijuana law. That didn't get voted in by ballot initiative or anything.:lol::quirky

G

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
It's not a rumor. But, hey. What do I know?
You don't know jack, fudd(2), and you've proven it repeatedly.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
It's not a rumor. But, hey. What do I know?
You don't know jack, fudd(2), and you've proven it repeatedly.
You are an idiot and prove it each time you post something. Go get a damn job will ya?

G

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Right. Like the whole medical marijuana law. That didn't get voted in by ballot initiative or anything.:lol::quirky
Details, fudd(2), details?

mikestilly

imported post

Not only will it not happen good luck collecting more than 305,703 valid signatures to get the initiative on the ballot. Also the Michigan State Legislature can repeal and amend ballot initiatives by a 75% supermajority vote of each house or as otherwise provided by the initiative.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Not only will it not happen good luck collecting more than 150000 valid signatures to get the initiative on the ballot.
The Ponderosa incident alone will make getting 150,000 signatures easy to get.