• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judges are more equal than the subjects!

UtahJarhead

imported post

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9802296

LEHI -- A justice court judge in Lehi has been issued a public reprimand by the Utah Supreme Court after pulling out a handgun in his courtroom. The incident actually happened nearly a year ago, but action by the Supreme Court was only taken in recent weeks.

Judge Garry Sampson is the justice judge residents face for speeding tickets and other minor offenses, but his decision to pull out the gun has resulted in a public reprimand.
An investigation found that Sampson was "acting in joking manner," but he pointed a handgun at a court bailiff for several seconds, causing alarm to the court staff.

According the agreement released by the Utah Judicial Conduct Commission, the bailiff was jokingly threatening to toss water on the judge in a moment of horseplay on March 30 of last year. The judge responded by pulling out a handgun and pointing it at her, which, according to the report, frightened the baliff, a court clerk and a victim advocate who were all in the courtroom.

No one else saw what happened.

On Dec. 17, the Utah Supreme Court signed off on the agreement with the Judicial Conduct Commission to give Sampson a reprimand. He has agreed to never bring a gun to court again.

Justice judges are appointed by the city or county they represent. In Sampson's case, Lehi's administrators are quoted in the agreement as saying they support him through the reprimand.

KSL News attempted to ask Sampson for a response, and an employee of the justice court came outside and told us that he had no comment on the reprimand.

Our calls to Lehi City's administration have not been returned.

E-mail: spenrod@ksl.com
Now, what were to happen if one of us had taken a gun, pointed it at somebody on an open street, and joked that we were going to shoot them. Let's ASSUME our gun is unloaded, no magazine in and no round in the chamber. What would happen to us?

bmeldrum

imported post

I personally know Judge Sampson or in my case President Sampson as he is one of our religious leaders (counselor in the Stake Presidency). I never heard of this story until it was aired and I just feel the media is just looking for stories, it happened a year ago and he's made his apologizes, done his "time" so to speak & hasn't done anything reckless since so leave it be. Was it a poor choice/decision, of course, did he learn his lesson to think before reacting, yes.

There is more important news to report on...

UtahJarhead

imported post

Church leader or not, he got a slap in the wrist and broke the law in the process. Everybody KNOWS he broke the law and because he PROMISED he should be let off? NOBODY on this forum would get let off like that if they'd done the same thing. NOBODY.

He pointed a GUN at another person intentionally.

UtahJarhead

imported post

Dear Mr. <redacted>:
Thank you for writing to the Utah Attorney General’s Office. The Attorney General’s Office is counsel to the state agencies.This office does not have jurisdiction over the judges or the courtstherefore; if you wish to file a complaint you may want to contact the Judicial Conduct Commission on: 801-801-626-3369.

I trust you will find this helpful.

Sincerely;
Pam Stevens
Constituent Affairs

bmeldrum

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
Church leader or not, he got a slap in the wrist and broke the law in the process. Everybody KNOWS he broke the law and because he PROMISED he should be let off? NOBODY on this forum would get let off like that if they'd done the same thing. NOBODY.

He pointed a GUN at another person intentionally.

Were you there when this went down? Do you know the whole story other than what was reported? I don't, butmaybe you have an inside source.

I wasn't saying because he was a church leader/judge he should be let off. Just simply saying I personally know him through my church and know him to be a good, honest, law biding citizen. Who made a stupid mistakeand learned his lesson and has moved on & so should we, it was a year ago I say let it go.

By the way it's got a slap 'on' the wrist!

swillden

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
I wasn't saying because he was a church leader/judge he should be let off. Just simply saying I personally know him through my church and know him to be a good, honest, law biding citizen. Who made a stupid mistakeand learned his lesson and has moved on & so should we, it was a year ago I say let it go.
I'm sure you're a good, honest law-abiding citizen, too. If you made the same mistake, what do you think would have happened to you?

Good guy or not, the fact is that judges need to be held MORE accountable for their actions than regular folks, not less. They need to be above reproach in order to give people confidence in their decisions. Even justice court judges. Even if a regular Joe would've gotten the same treatment, which I doubt, judges should be held to a higher standard to avoid undermining confidence in the justice system.

Allowing this good, honest, law-abiding judge to get away with a slap on the wrist is wrong.