• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AR-15

Chaingun81

imported post

Sorry for an offtopic question, but I love this forum and value opinions that I can get here, so I hope moderators will be kind to me and not delete my post. :lol:

I'm finally on the market for my first AR-15 rifle - seems that they finally became both availibale and affordable after Obamination.

I know that most AR-15 fans tend to buy pricy ones and continue outfitting them to the point where they cost 3-4k or something like that. I don't need that (at least yet).

I just need a basic AR-15 with very basic features. I'd like to have a collapsable stock and a removable carrying handle (A-3, I believe), the rest can come later. I want it to be quality though - not anything special, just mil-spec like reliable, that's it.

I was looking at DPMS as a brand and heard a lot of good things about it. Bushmaster looks a lot nicer, but seems a little out of my price range.

Now speaking of price range. It's gotta be under 1k. Preferrable around $800. If I can get one for around $700 - that would be just fantastic.

Looking forward to your replies - any advices will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Article1section23

imported post

All your answers can be found at http://www.ar15.com

Seriously, I go there everyday to check things out...but be careful...they are serious when they tell you that you will get BRD (black rifle disease), plus you start collecting mags like its 1994...lol.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I have a Bushy and can putmy roundsinto a quarter at 50 yards from a rest. They are that good. About $800........:dude:.

Pic added....quarter on left....5 rounds.

Target.jpg

tcmech

imported post

The flat top is the way to go, it makes mounting a scope a lot more practical. I don't think that you can go wrong with most of the major brands. I believe that Remington, DPMS, and Bushmaster are all owned by the same company.

Lots of people think the gas piston system is better, and it may be but my regular old dpms with the gas tube has worked just fine. If I were buying a new one I would probably look at the sig 556.

FightingGlock19

imported post

BravoCompanyUSA.com ...order one of their lower receiver groups and an upper receiver group from them. Put the two together and go shoot the piss out of it :cool:

slowfiveoh

imported post

DPMS:

I have a Bull Twenty, and the build quality is unbelievably good!

DSCN0546.jpg

They even fluted the barrel for free for me!

Mr. Mitch, you using optics?

TheMrMitch

imported post

Yup. $39 NC Star that attches to my carry handle. ARs.....Bushys are just easy and accurate to shoot at minimal costs.:dude:

Added....Pic with REAL 'BANANA CLIP'....HehHeh:celebrate

Bananaclip.jpg

slowfiveoh

imported post

I will tell you I got mine new, including the EoTech 512, Harris Bipod, Hogue grip, and ProMag flip up front and rears, for less than $1500.00.

Here's irons only, 50m - :

DSCN0689.jpg

I need optics. :D

Here is the actual rifle itself - :

20151_106113399399757_100000032930920_160091_6217277_n.jpg

Chaingun81

imported post

Thanks for the input guys. Basically I did some pricing research and it seems that I can get a DPMS for $850, a Stag Arms for $950 or a Bushmaster for $1100. That puts Bushmaster out of my budget leaving me with DPMS vs Stag.

One of my local stores strongly suggests Stag over DPMS to the point that they practically refuse to sell the DPMS while the other one said it's the basically the same deal. Does anyone know what's so special about Stag? And how would you compare Stag vs DPMS qualitywise reliabiltywise and featurewise?

Thanks a lot!

slowfiveoh

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. Basically I did some pricing research and it seems that I can get a DPMS for $850, a Stag Arms for $950 or a Bushmaster for $1100. That puts Bushmaster out of my budget leaving me with DPMS vs Stag.

One of my local stores strongly suggests Stag over DPMS to the point that they practically refuse to sell the DPMS while the other one said it's the basically the same deal. Does anyone know what's so special about Stag? And how would you compare Stag vs DPMS qualitywise reliabiltywise and featurewise?

Thanks a lot!
I have no clue why they would do such a thing unless there is a sellers benefit in there somewhere in the form of bonuses.

DPMS is an EXTREMELY reputable company and the quality of the rifle is top notch. If you ever have an issue with one of their products , they WILL help you right away!

Just call them up if you have any questions.

Also, consider this....

My DPMS came with:

Hard Case
Cleaning kit (Trap door kit a'la Milspec)
2 x 30 Round Magazines
Nylon Strap

This means I was able to immediately transport it to the range to have some fun, because everything necessary was there, sans ammunition.

If you purchase a Bull Twenty, I think you will be EXTREMELY satisfied.

I will take a close up of mine if you like. :)

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey check a little known manuf. ASA American Spirit Arms out of Arizona. Found them at Crossroads gun show about 12 years ago. Bought one shortly thereafter. It's a pre-ban A2 configuration. They got great reviews and lived up to them. I've never had an issue with mine in 11 years. Component quality is tops, fit and finish are the best I've seen. Sorry there not as cheap as you would like but there worth it. good luck, I'm sure whatever you get you will not regret it.

Defensor out

FightingGlock19

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
I built my own, for the most part, so I got it like I wanted it. Cav-Arms lower w/a LMT 16" Carbine upper. Total cost was 814$

CrossFire

imported post

I got a DPMS 16 light just before the antichrist was elected for $750. When the clerk asked if this was my first I said yes. He then said "it won't be your last". After the electin I saw that same rifle going for $1300 at gun shows. Last gun show I went to was about a month ago and it was down to $850.

DEFENSOR

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
I got a DPMS 16 light just before the antichrist was elected for $750. When the clerk asked if this was my first I said yes. He then said "it won't be your last". After the electin I saw that same rifle going for $1300 at gun shows. Last gun show I went to was about a month ago and it was down to $850.

He said that the antichrist was elected, sad but true but in another way it is funny and tragic. Still there is hope for the future in a return to American values and a restoration of constitutional rule of law. God bless us

Defensor

CraigC178

imported post

catass wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
I built my own, for the most part, so I got it like I wanted it. Cav-Arms lower w/a LMT 16" Carbine upper. Total cost was 814$
Be careful building your own... BRD is very contagious and building is like patronizing a prostitute without a prophylactic! Just ask the $3800 that I spent building a MK12 MOD1 clone that I NEEDED to satisfy the disease.

CraigC178

imported post

All kidding aside...

If you want to build your own without buying a receiver block and armor's tools I'd recommend that you check out Del-ton. They put together mid-range quality uppers that will satisfy most shooters and you cannot beat their prices. You get everything that you'll need in one package except for a stripped lower.

foxcall

imported post

CraigC178 wrote:
All kidding aside...

If you want to build your own without buying a receiver block and armor's tools I'd recommend that you check out Del-ton. They put together mid-range quality uppers that will satisfy most shooters and you cannot beat their prices. You get everything that you'll need in one package except for a stripped lower.

I was about to suggest the same thing, and was surprised no one had mentioned Del-ton until you did.

Seriously though, they are the CZs of the black rifle world - very good stuff for the money. They have a lot of customization options, but for just a basic rifle kit they can't be beat. You can spend the money you save on mags and ammo.

Superb customer service as well - I've dealt with them many times in the past.

slowfiveoh

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
Nice rifle. I'm also a fan of Dragon Age as well. :)

I have a DPMS AP4.
Heh, here is where you scratch your head.

I didn't like that game at all, AND, the Mrs., who is a RPG FREAK, said, "Let's take this back to gamestop and trade it in". So we did.

I STILL think he should get a DPMS. It comes with mags, a cleaning kit, and a hardcase for transport, and is in the price range.