Thread: NRA email with some mistakes in it...

Post imported post

"SB 334, sponsored by State Senator Emmett Hanger (R-24), would allow concealed carry permit holders to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense in restaurants that serve alcohol, provided they do not consume alcohol. Senator Hanger’s bill would make it a misdemeanor for a permit holder to consume alcohol while on the premises of the restaurant. This Right-to-Carry reform measure passed the Senate last week by a 22-18 vote."

quoted this from an NRA email.

What concerns me is the wording

"Senator Hanger’s bill would make it a misdemeanor for a permit holder to consume alcohol while on the premises of the restaurant."

that quote mentions nothing about the actual carrying of a firearm, only that if one has a concealed handgun permit, and consumes alcohol in a restaurant, one is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Now I hope that the NRA folks simply slipped up on this one. Anybody feel like telling them that they messed up a little? :P

Post imported post

PeteXD wrote:
    "SB 334, sponsored by State Senator Emmett Hanger (R-24), would allow concealed carry permit holders to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense in restaurants that serve alcohol, provided they do not consume alcohol. Senator Hanger’s bill would make it a misdemeanor for a permit holder to consume alcohol while on the premises of the restaurant. This Right-to-Carry reform measure passed the Senate last week by a 22-18 vote."

quoted this from an NRA email.

What concerns me is the wording

"Senator Hanger’s bill would make it a misdemeanor for a permit holder to consume alcohol while on the premises of the restaurant."

that quote mentions nothing about the actual carrying of a firearm, only that if one has a concealed handgun permit, and consumes alcohol in a restaurant, one is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Now I hope that the NRA folks simply slipped up on this one. Anybody feel like telling them that they messed up a little? :P
    I would classify that more like "clumbsy wording", or "poor editing". The previous sentence makes clear reference to the carrying of a concealed firearm. I think they just tried to pick a shortened phrase to describe "a permitted person, who is carrying a concealed firearm". To be correct, they should have included that entire phrase.

It would probably be more clear if they said "the permit holder" rather than "a permit holder", so as to constrain the subject noun to the previously clarified noun in the first sentence. The current wording is not correct.

I guess the important question is: will a casual reader know what they mean? Would one unfamiliar with the law actually think that any permit holder would be held to that standard, even if they were not carrying a concealed firearm at that time?

TFred