• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One of the few times I think CC is the best idea

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

altajava wrote:
While I'm sure you have the proper tool for the job, I've got ask how you CC a BFR?:shock:
:lol::lol: I think I have a few of those little guns somewhere....Hope the mice didn't run off with them:p

6L6GC

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
There's nothing wrong with carrying concealed. It's every bit as much a right as OC. It just sucks to have to get a permit. I personally like to stay low-key in most places, it's just my personality. OC makes that a bit difficult.
I agree completely. BOTH modes of carry are constitutionally protected as far as I'm concerned. I've heard some bizaar explainations from some hard core open-carry-only types trying to show that concealed carry is not constitutionally enumerated. When I read the second amendment however, I find no mention of carry mode. Since it states "bear arms" without specifying a mode, then I maintain that the mode of carry is left to the discression of the free citizen.

kennys

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
There's nothing wrong with carrying concealed. It's every bit as much a right as OC. It just sucks to have to get a permit. I personally like to stay low-key in most places, it's just my personality. OC makes that a bit difficult.
I agree completely. BOTH modes of carry are constitutionally protected as far as I'm concerned. I've heard some bizaar explainations from some hard core open-carry-only types trying to show that concealed carry is not constitutionally enumerated. When I read the second amendment however, I find no mention of carry mode. Since it states "bear arms" without specifying a mode, then I maintain that the mode of carry is left to the discression of the free citizen.

While I believe both to be protected by the constitution, OC in Va is the only one you do not have to have a permission slip to do. I do cc from time to time as a conveyance to my self, and I do believe it is a personal choice as it should be without any mandates. But until we can cc with out the permission slip, I will question cc perks over not allowing OCand will continue to try and avoid patronising places that clearlydon't allow both.

Tomahawk

imported post

This argument always comes up. Let me be clear: carrying open or concealed in public or on your property is a right, even in Virginia, where the government says it's a privilege. Even in North Korea, where the government says it's an act of treason. Even in Singapore, where possession of firearms gets the death penalty.

Of course practically speaking, you need a permit in Virginia to CC. That doesn't have anything to do with what is or isn't a right, it's just ink on paper put there by politicians. We can change that ink, someday, and make the Commonwealth recognize our right, but for now we are stuck with what we have until we get more political support.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
This argument always comes up. Let me be clear: carrying open or concealed in public or on your property is a right, even in Virginia, where the government says it's a privilege. Even in North Korea, where the government says it's an act of treason. Even in Singapore, where possession of firearms gets the death penalty.

Of course practically speaking, you need a permit in Virginia to CC. That doesn't have anything to do with what is or isn't a right, it's just ink on paper put there by politicians. We can change that ink, someday, and make the Commonwealth recognize our right, but for now we are stuck with what we have until we get more political support.
Agree!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Returning to the referenced scene and planned misadventure.

I will avoid the Holocaust Museum on that day - just like I would any other potential problem location where I do not need to be.

Must important to me generally is that this facility is OC friendly - have been there several times, always OCing and never any problems whatsoever - no questio but that the staff noticed because we had some good conversation regarding RKBA.

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

One time I will GLADLY CC is, like yesterday, when I'm traveling and have to go #1 or #2 REALLY REALLY bad. I don't have ANY time to spare for a conversation. OC just is not an option when you are making a run for a public restroom.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
None of the pics in the gallery show up.
Sorry, looks like it was popular on Twitter and I overloaded the album. It'll be back up in 15 minutes. There's also a video on the news site now.

kennys

imported post

peter nap wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Sorry, looks like it was popular on Twitter and I overloaded the album. It'll be back up in 15 minutes. There's also a video on the news site now.
Wish I could enjoy it, guess I have to wait until work tomorrow where I have fios.

curtiswr

imported post

peter nap wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
One of those he who makes the most noise situations? :lol: The radio was pretty clever and simple and shut them up, other than their signs.

Saw a clip on Channel 8 news. The president of the Virginia Holocaust Museum invited them in to talk rationally but they declined and chose to spew hatred and stomp on the American flag instead saying they do not "make nice with rebels."

Nothing but a bunch of real life trolls. Attention is what they want and are getting. Too bad each time they go somewhere, the news media can't simply say something like "do not feed the trolls" or rather one person with a radio and a loudspeaker going and washing everything they say or spew out with a prerecorded message on repeat yelling out "do not feed the trolls."

But they would still have the signs... How about then people hold long 20 foot banners following them and blocking them off from street view everywhere the go. Hm.. wonder what the banners could say... "Do not feed the trolls?" :lol:

I bet nothing would make attention seekers more upset than being blocked from receiving attention. :shock:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Curtis wrote:

But they would still have the signs... How about then people hold long 20 foot banners following them and blocking them off from street view everywhere the go. Hm.. wonder what the banners could say... "Do not feed the trolls?" :lol:
"God hates haters"

roscoe13

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It's all back up and I increased the allocated space for viewing.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

It looks like the Westboro Baptist Church may become a little poorer. The United States Supreme court yesterday took up the U.S. 4th Circuit's dismissal of a 5 Million dollar award against the church for emotional distress from picketing a dead soldier on First Amendment grounds. Scotusblog has a write-up about it.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/03/court-to-rule-on-funeral-pickets/#more-17263

TFred

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
It looks like the Westboro Baptist Church may become a little poorer. The United States Supreme court yesterday took up the U.S. 4th Circuit's dismissal of a 5 Million dollar award against the church for emotional distress from picketing a dead soldier on First Amendment grounds. Scotusblog has a write-up about it.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/03/court-to-rule-on-funeral-pickets/#more-17263
One of the other cases in that blog entry looks interesting as well.

Right to "Informational Privacy"

TFred