• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Experience at Lowe's and Sam's Club

Brent Hartman

imported post

Hello everyone. I just wanted to relay a couple of experiences that a friend and I had this week open carrying in Elizabethtown.

I went into Lowe's with a friend to get some supplies. We were both open carrying, as I've done numerous times before at that Lowe's without incident. This time, a manager approached my friend, while I was in another part of the store, and told him that he would have to leave the store if he was going to carry a firearm. She said that store policy prevented firearms from being carried in the store. He politely entered his protest, and left the store, as he was leaving anyway. No one said a word to me.

In the parking lot, when he told me what happened, I told him that I seriously doubt that the manager was telling him the truth about the store policy, and that he should contact the corporate offices to verify what the policy really is. He did.

The next day, he got a phone call from the corporate offices, and the local store manager. Both were very apologetic about what happened. The store manger said that they had a staff meeting to make sure that this would never happen again, and that open carrying customers were very welcome in that store.

The next story happened at Sam's Club in the checkout line. A lady standing in line approached my wife and I and asked about me open carrying. She said that she was going in for her concealed carry permit, but had no idea you could open carry. I told her that Kentucky was an open carry state, and if she wanted to find out more information on state laws, that she should go to opencarry.org. The cashier even even got in on the discussion talking about the benefits of open carry. The lady was very happy, and excited to tell her husband that they could open carry in Kentucky.

Overall, this was a pretty good week. I'm going to have some business cards printed up to pass out to people who ask about open carry. I don't see people open carrying here in Kentucky near as much as I did in Arizona, but I'm hoping that will change.

Later!
Brent

Statesman

imported post

I would be prepared before entering most corporate owned stores, to have documentation ready that states corporate policy. It's also a good idea to make sure the case# can be referenced, so the manager can look it up if warranted. If no case# is available, then a name and contact number of the person that provided the original corporate policy will suffice.

See the "Kentucky list of OC friendly or unfriendly businesses" thread, and please post your experiences at http://friendorfoe.us/

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/34707.html

LOWE'S
Dear XXXX XXXX:

Thank you for giving Lowe's the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores.

Lowe's currently does, and will continue to abide by federal, state and local laws regarding firearms, and we do not prohibit customers from carrying firearms into our stores.

Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers, however; we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and will remain neutral regarding the right to carry firearms. We will respect federal, state and local laws regarding this.

If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or email
execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to P.O. Box 1111, Mail Code CON8, North Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28659.

Thank you,
Julie Holloway
Lowe's Executive Customer Service

Sam's Club is owned by Wal-Mart, which most likely sets their store policies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam's_Club

Walmart
Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.

Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
(1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link:
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Audio of Walmart Policy: Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3

Brent Hartman

imported post

Statesman,

Good point. I've open carried now for about a year, mostly in Arizona (I moved to KY a few months ago), and I've never had anyone say a word to me about open carry. I'd say that I'd become a little lackadaisical in what I was doing, and wasn't properly prepared in the event that someone did confront me.

This past week has changed my perspective, and has motivated me to gain more knowledge, so that I'll be prepared the next time the opportunity arises to educate the unknowing people about open carry.

Brent Hartman

imported post

klloyd wrote:
Not to thread jump here, but why in the world would you move from Arizona to Kentucky? I've been through Arizona, and I've been trying to get back ever since!!

Arizona was okay, but they weren't exactly friendly to small business. They've adopted many of the negative regulatory aspects of their neighbor to the west. Running a small construction company in Arizona, is about as easy as doing the same in California.

I prefer the more laid back approach to small business I've found in Kentucky.