• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asheville

WNCTarheel

imported post

I've never went through the food court entrance. All the other entrances I've seen have signs.

Now that it's warming up, I'd like to get a group together to have a OC day. I'll be out of the country for a few weeks, but when I'm back in late April any time after that will be fine.

murf26

imported post

Here is something that may be helpful. I was in the same boat and needed some answers. I contacted APD but in the meantime found the info myself. Here are the results:

[size=To Whom It May Concern,][/size]

[size=][/size]

[size=I have just found the answer to the question below. While browsing the Internet, I found the Asheville Mall website code] of conduct. Rule 20 states "no weapons", so I shall abide by that rule. Sorry for the inconvenience! [/size]

[size=][/size]

Hope this helps...

adipurusa

imported post

this is good to know :D

it's funny though, I walked around un-bothered for a couple hours in there. I'm pretty sure some security saw me, too. That was my wife's first reaction when I told here it was not permitted: "but the security guards saw you". maybe they didn't notice the gun or didn't want to deal with it.

anyhow rules is rules.

sovereigngrace

imported post

Dude I didn't think that there were any Ashevillians on here,

I live in clyde and plan on ocing in about a month or two,

I have been studying a lot too, As far as I know the APD is pretty sympathetic to ocing, technically there shouldn't be a problem, and if by some randomcrazyhapenstance you get caught for GATTOP you could win in court no problem.

Out in Clyde if you don't see a gun in public at least once a week something's wrong. But in West Asheville there are a ton of anti's. Just be careful where you choose to carry.

I'm glad there will be one more responsible citizen carrying in Asheville.
What are you going to carry?

sovereigngrace

imported post

BTW, there is alot of stuff that goes down in Asheville that the news doesn't cover,
Keep your gun on you as much as possible

Ajetpilot

imported post

I'm going to be in Asheville for several days at the end of May to attend a wedding. Fortunately, my Washington State "Concealed Pistol License" (CPL), as it is calledin WA,enjoys reciprocity in North Carolina. I intend to OC as much as possible and CC when I must. I'm glad to have found this thread.

I've read everything I can find in the NC statutes regarding OC and CC, but I want to clarify laws while traveling in my rental car. As I understand it, because I have a CPL, I can OC or CC a loaded pistol while I'm in the car, and if stopped by LE, I am required to keep my hands on the wheel and inform the officer immediately that I have a license (permit), and the location of the firearm. Is this correct?

DocWest8404

imported post

Yes, NC is a Must Inform State, so if you are stopped, exactly like you said, hands on the wheel, and as soon as the LEO approaches, inform him immediately that you are

1) in poccession

2) location of the weapon

3) and that you have a CPL/CHL/CCL (whatever you want to call it)

Also, you might want to have documentaion that shows that WA and NC have reprocity for the concealed permits. If you have an Iphone, download the "right2bear" app, and that can pull up the reprocity list.

Dreamer

imported post

Just don't carry near the Asheville Airport, especially if you're sitting in the parking lot with a carload of ham radio gear... :banghead:

DocWest8404

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Many thanks, DocWest8404. I printed the reciprocity statement from both the WA website, and more importantly the NC website. I'll have them with me.
Your welcome. And let me know if you are coming to the Jacksonville area. As long as I ain't deployed, we could see about getting together. Lawmaker and ComradeV are around here as well.

sultan62

I sent out a message to a few of the people who appeared to be interested in an OC meet. I also wanted to get this thread up near the top of the list so anyone who was interested in a meet would be able to see it.

papa bear

hey, love the Ashville area. forgive me for being off subject have any of you in Ashvile, read the book, " one second after". just curious

WNCTarheel

hey, love the Ashville area. forgive me for being off subject have any of you in Ashvile, read the book, " one second after". just curious

AshEville. Yes, I've read the book. It's pretty good but he leaves out a few things that would spoil his storyline (such as the HUGE Ingles grocery main warehouse inside Black Mountain city limits), and the fact that the protagonist seems to be conveniently unconscious (sick or knocked out by explosion) when most of the action is happening, allowing the author to avoid writing about those events in detail.

papa bear

there is a lot of holes in the story, and i don't think we should get into here. ( like the gangs from Charlotte were on the rampage ). i did like that it made you think about the ammo. supply and what would you do in a s.h.t.f. situation . especially in an area i know

s000161719

Hey guys just found this forum. I am new to Open Carry and in the process of waiting for my Concealed weapons permit. Just wanted to put my two cents about an OC situation I had tonight. I went to two Walmarts (Weaverville and Asheville ones) and I got some pretty strange looks. The guy working at the counter for sporting goods section in Weaverville asked me if I had my "permit"? I told him I purchased the gun legally and saw no signs out front of the store that said anything about firearms. He asked me to leave so I gladly left and went to the other Walmart near patton ave. I again went to the sporting goods sections and bought some ammo (9mm). I then went to dicks and left my pistol in the car and chatted up the guys in the hunting section. They told me it was illegal to carry a gun without having your concealed carry permit.

All in all I thought that a lot of people were misinformed and uneducated on carrying a firearm.

Aslo I am looking for a group of like minded people that are pro open carry

Sahib0120

Hey guys just found this forum. I am new to Open Carry and in the process of waiting for my Concealed weapons permit. Just wanted to put my two cents about an OC situation I had tonight. I went to two Walmarts (Weaverville and Asheville ones) and I got some pretty strange looks. The guy working at the counter for sporting goods section in Weaverville asked me if I had my "permit"? I told him I purchased the gun legally and saw no signs out front of the store that said anything about firearms. He asked me to leave so I gladly left and went to the other Walmart near patton ave. I again went to the sporting goods sections and bought some ammo (9mm). I then went to dicks and left my pistol in the car and chatted up the guys in the hunting section. They told me it was illegal to carry a gun without having your concealed carry permit.

All in all I thought that a lot of people were misinformed and uneducated on carrying a firearm.

Aslo I am looking for a group of like minded people that are pro open carry

Unfortunately Asheville is a very liberal city, so a lot of the people you may encounter will more than likely be ignorant of theirs and our gun rights.

I haven't yet OC'd in the Walmart in Weaverville, I'm gonna have to walk around in there sometime and see what reaction's I may get. Was the guy at the sporting goods counter a manager or regular employee? Because to the best of my knowledge only the managers or higher up's can ask you to leave, not just regular employees since they are not in control of the property.

Last edited: