• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's in Hazelwood

CraigC178

imported post

I will be in Missouri tomorrow and part of my trip will be taking me into St. Louis. I'm an Illinois resident but have permits that are recognized in Missouri. I know that I cannot open carry in the city of St. Louis, but can I OC in Hazelwood? I'd like to stop at the Cabela's store to buy an IWB holster before I go into the city. If I cannot I'll just throw on a heavy leather jacket to keep my shopping legal.

I'm really just looking to clarify the city/county restrictions in the area because I am not very familiar with the boundaries and would like to keep my trip legal.

Thank you in advance for all of your help,

Craig

Broondog

imported post

i don't see anything in the municipal code for the city of Hazelwood, MO regarding open carry. http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/hazelwood-slp/

one of the MO guys put this list together for a quick reference guide, but it is always good to do a little research of the actual codes for your own peace of mind.

http://www.natesit.com/oc/mooc.htm

hope this helps, and enjoy your outing from behind enemy lines. :)

CraigC178

imported post

No problems in Cabela's, except for an extremely annoying greeter... but that had nothing to do with my Springfield, he was pushing their credit cards.

I also OC'ed at the St Louis Bread Company, NTB, and Lowes in Bridgeton. Nothing negative to report. I'll have to spend more time down there, I was sad as hell when I got off 270 at Riverview Dr to unload and case my pistol.

Article1section23

imported post

CraigC178 wrote:
No problems in Cabela's, except for an extremely annoying greeter... but that had nothing to do with my Springfield, he was pushing their credit cards.

I also OC'ed at the St Louis Bread Company, NTB, and Lowes in Bridgeton. Nothing negative to report. I'll have to spend more time down there, I was sad as hell when I got off 270 at Riverview Dr to unload and case my pistol.
It won' t be long for you guys. Even your courts will have to rule on some type of carry, after McDonald. Glad you had a good experience.

Navy80to04

imported post

CraigC178 wrote:

I know where you were going, Across the chain of rocks bridge into the bad lands.

cash50

imported post

Shawn wrote:
CraigC178 wrote:

It won' t be long for you guys. Even your courts will have to rule on some type of carry, after McDonald. Glad you had a good experience.
What won't be long?

Lunie

imported post

cash50 wrote:
Shawn wrote:
CraigC178 wrote:

What won't be long?
I believe he means that after the Supreme Court decides McDonald V. Chicago, the people of Illinois will have the opportunity to expand their rights under the 2nd Amendment.

CraigC178

imported post

Lunie wrote:
cash50 wrote:
Shawn wrote:
CraigC178 wrote:

What won't be long?
I believe he means that after the Supreme Court decides McDonald V. Chicago, the people of Illinois will have the opportunity to expand their rights under the 2nd Amendment.
Fortunately, I'll be leaving this god-forsaken state soon and won't have to wait for the courts to restore our rights.

exhstd

imported post

HI,

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, THE RULING HERE IN MISSOURI IS FOR CCW ONLY.

NO ONE PERSON CAN OPENLY CARRY A FIREARM UNLESS THEY ARE A MEMBER OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.

WE HAVE A STRANGE CCW LAW HERE IN MISSOURI.

IF YOU HAVE A CCW ENDORSEMENT, YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CARRY CONCEALED ONLY

OUT IN THE OPEN.

BUT, IF YOU ARE IN YOUR VEHICLE, YOU MUST REMOVE YOUR WEAPON FROM YOUR PERSON AND PLACE IT ON THE SEAT AND HAVE IT COVERED UP.

IF PULLED OVER AND ASKED IF YOU HAVE YOUR SIDE ARM WITH YOU, DON'T HAVE IT ON YOU IN A HOLSTER. IF YOU DO, YOU WILL GET A TICKET AND ONCE YOU GET THREE SUCH TICKETS YOU WILL FORFIET YOUR ENDORSEMENT FOR THIRTY DAYS.

I HOPE THIS HELPS...

Broondog

imported post

exhstd wrote:
HI,

NO ONE PERSON CAN OPENLY CARRY A FIREARM UNLESS THEY ARE A MEMBER OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.

OUT IN THE OPEN.

BUT, IF YOU ARE IN YOUR VEHICLE, YOU MUST REMOVE YOUR WEAPON FROM YOUR PERSON AND PLACE IT ON THE SEAT AND HAVE IT COVERED UP.

IF PULLED OVER AND ASKED IF YOU HAVE YOUR SIDE ARM WITH YOU, DON'T HAVE IT ON YOU IN A HOLSTER. IF YOU DO, YOU WILL GET A TICKET AND ONCE YOU GET THREE SUCH TICKETS YOU WILL FORFIET YOUR ENDORSEMENT FOR THIRTY DAYS.

I HOPE THIS HELPS...

do tell where you get your information for the state of Missouri.

every single thing you just posted goes against state laws.

exhstd

imported post

EVERYTHING I JUST POSTED IS WHAT IS BEING TAUGHT IN THE CONCEAL AND CARRY CLASSES.

IN ORDER FOR A PERSON TO LEGALLY CARRY A FIREARM IN THE STATE OF MISSOURI,

MUST HAVE AN ENDORSEMENT AND, IT MUST BE CONCEALED.

CHECK OUT TOP GUN INDOOR SHOOTING RANGE IN IMPERIAL MO. FOR THEIR CCW

CLASSES AND YOU'LL SEE WHAT I'M SAYING.

IT WASN'T MY INTENTION TO GET ON HERE AND GET INTO A BIG PISSING CONTEST.

IF I OFFENDED SOMEONE, ALL I WAS DOING WAS RECITING THE LAW AS IT WAS TAUGHT TO ME. AND, FROM WHAT I HAVE READ.

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU MAY HAVE THE LAW REGARDING CCW IN MISSOURI MISCONSTRUED??

cash50

imported post

exhstd wrote:
EVERYTHING I JUST POSTED IS WHAT IS BEING TAUGHT IN THE CONCEAL AND CARRY CLASSES.

IF I OFFENDED SOMEONE, ALL I WAS DOING WAS RECITING THE LAW AS IT WAS TAUGHT TO ME. AND, FROM WHAT I HAVE READ.

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU MAY HAVE THE LAW REGARDING CCW IN MISSOURI MISCONSTRUED??

Exhstd, not to piss you off, but you need to get your money back.

Anyone can open carry in MO without any sort of stupid, liberal, ass-backwards permit, no matter how many morons tell you differently. Read laws for yourself and don't trust people to feed you the truth.

And Lunie, thanks for the clarification, I didn't see he was from IL until just now. Craig, hopefully it gets better soon over there.

CraigC178

imported post

cash50 wrote:
exhstd wrote:

Exhstd, not to piss you off, but you need to get your money back.

Anyone can open carry in MO without any sort of stupid, liberal, ass-backwards permit, no matter how many morons tell you differently. Read laws for yourself and don't trust people to feed you the truth.

And Lunie, thanks for the clarification, I didn't see he was from IL until just now. Craig, hopefully it gets better soon over there.

Although I think that it will eventually happen, I'm not holding my breath. I'm finishing my degree in a few months and will probably be going back into the army (I've had a few jobs since getting out and nothing else has felt quite right), but even if I don't my job search would not include Illinois.

The government here is rotten and corrupt, but even worse is that the average voter has become so acclimated to being treated as subjects that they are unlikely to ever force true reform. It is sad. I grew up in Lake County, briefly lived in Chicago, and now live in Central IL and generally see the same misconception of the role of government throughout the state. I know several people who have either fled the state or are planning to. These aren't leaving to find jobs either, they're leaving out of disgust with the encroachment of government and corruption that has become normalized here.

That being said... It would be nice if I could exercise my rights when I come back to visit my mom. Thankfully the rest of my family has been wise enough to seek freedom elsewhere.

Broondog

imported post

Exhstd. think about this for a moment. a CCW instructor might be inclined to tell their students that CCW is the only legal way to go in order to keep their business going, ie: dollars rolling in. if the public at large knew that OC was perfectly legal they might see a decline in their business. or that instructor may just be against OC and is not going to give one the full truth about the law.

Top Gun has never impressed me. of the few times i have been in that shop, their condescending, 'know it all' attitude coupled with their stock being overpriced has not led to a positive experience in my opinion. i will not be back.

Dunn's in Pevely on the other hand is a whole different story. the guys are quite knowledgeable without the bad attitude and their prices are more towards reasonable. granted, they don't have the indoor range or offer the CCW class but then that's not what i look for in a gun shop.

again dude, do some research. read the MO Revised Statutes. look into the municipal codes of your town and those that you frequent. there you will find the REAL laws, not what your instructor told you. and read around the Missouri section of this site. here you will find a lot of real world experiences regarding OC.

you did not start a pissing contest, you merely came here misinformed. it is our aim to provide you with the best and most accurate information that we can. i believe it is you who is confused on the firearm laws in the state of Missouri.

yelohamr

imported post

Exhstd may be a troll. A few have surfaced in the California forum, since the Brady Campaigntried to getStarbucks to ban guns from their stores.

Packer fan

imported post

exhstd wrote:
HI,

OUT IN THE OPEN.

I HOPE THIS HELPS...

I think this post is funny.

I was just stopped in Rolla, Mo last night at around 10:30pm. I was speeding. I pulled over and the officer walked up to the window and I gave him my DL and my CHCL. I live in Ar.He asked what I carry and I told him and we talked guns for a little while and he said, "just slow it down."

At the time I had my firearm holstered on my hip. Really a nice officer. I deserved a ticket but let me off. Never asking to see my gun. Never asking me to keep my hands in plain sight (I did anyway). I must say a really good guy.

Article1section23

imported post

Packer fan wrote:

I was just stopped in Rolla, Mo last night at around 10:30pm. I was speeding. I pulled over and the officer walked up to the window and I gave him my DL and my CHCL. I live in Ar.He asked what I carry and I told him and we talked guns for a little while and he said, "just slow it down."

At the time I had my firearm holstered on my hip. Really a nice officer. I deserved a ticket but let me off. Never asking to see my gun. Never asking me to keep my hands in plain sight (I did anyway). I must say a really good guy.
Packer,
Well, we like to make sure people from Arkansas don't stay to long. :D Clinton might have rubbed off of you and we don't need that here...we have our McCaskill's to deal with...lol J/K.

Exhstd - No problem in learning something new...please don't type in all caps. Wecome aboard.

USMC-GREYWOLF

imported post

Hello there.
To answer any questions and clear up any misunderstandings please refer to RSMo chapters 563 and 571. ( You can locate these at -http://WWW.MO.GOV) These are the laws concerning CCW and weapons offenses in the state of MO. MO is an open carry state, period.

If you can legally own a handgun it can be in your vehicle, loaded, unloaded, on the dash or in your coat concealed. If you do not have a concealed carry, it cannot be concealed on your person when exiting the vehicle. You do not have to have a CCW to transport a legal weapon (Utah's laws are different- In that state you are required to have a CCW to transport a weapon in your vehicle).

If you happen to get stopped by a police officer and you have a weapon with--just tell them. At this point they will know that they are dealing with a law abiding citizen. They only ones not saying anything are normally the ones carrying illegally.

If you carrying openly, you may (depending on what part of the city your in) get stopped by a police officer and asked why you feel you must carry a weapon out in the open. Yes, I know we have the right, but why make yourself a possible victim to a crime. Your not going to have just one knucklehead trying to take your gun, it will be 15-20. They run in packs like wild animals around here. (My guess is that you will not have enough ammunition to defend yourself).

If you are carrying a weapon and you enter a business which has posted a no weapons sign and the weapon is discovered, it is not a crime. You must be informed to leave. If you refuse to leave and a police officer is summoned, you can get a Summons (Ticket) for trespassing with a fine up to $100.00. If a second incident occurs within a six month period, you can get a fine up to $200.00. For a third offense within one year your looking at a fine up to $500.00 and will lose your CCW permit. Security officers or Loss prevention officers do not have the right to detain you until police arrive unless you have committed a crime. If they do attempt to hold you, ask them if they are aware of the conditions of felonious restraint and if their employer is willing to back them in a civil or criminal law suit.

The original comment does sound as if someone may be attempting to spread anti-gun rumors. More propaganda hard at work and straight from Chicago.

Broondog

imported post

welcome USMC-GREYWOLF.

let's hope that your very well written post does not fall on deaf ears. you know you can lead a horse to water but........

Packer fan

imported post

Shawn wrote:
Packer fan wrote:

Packer,
Well, we like to make sure people from Arkansas don't stay to long. :D Clinton might have rubbed off of you and we don't need that here...we have our McCaskill's to deal with...lol J/K.

Exhstd - No problem in learning something new...please don't type in all caps. Wecome aboard.

I will tell you the same thing that every Arkansan will tell you, I didn't vote forClinton. /images/emoticons/