• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whoa!!!!!

Kreutz

imported post

I'm fortunate enough to be moving out of NY this summer (I live 13 miles north of Manhattan) and am relocating to Roanoke county. Being accustomed to reams of paperwork and a very anti-gun government and police force (I will go to jail for using a firearm to defend myself in my own home. I'd get off, but after being made an example of and being financially ruined) I decided to research the gun laws of VA ahead of time.

And wow was I suprised and loving more and more as I read! They are by far very sensible and a breath of fresh air. I discovered the Virginia Citizens Defense League while looking into the laws, and I intend to join when I get there because it's great to see a gun rights org. go on the offensive for a change. While I admire and support the NRA they are very reactionary and not very proactive you know?

I fully intend to take advantage of the right (as rights must be used to be kept strong) to open carry, something I'd get shot in the back for here.

By the way, in general how are the cops in Roanoke county? Are they corrupt? Do they respect OC? Or would I be arrested as a matter of course and then let go?

The ones here are breathtakingly creative in their ways to get into your wallet.

Looking forward to breathing and living free. For a change.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

First let me welcome you aboard. We're happy to have you here and trust that you will both learn and contribute much.

And welcome to the Commonwealth of Virginia. You will, indeed, find our state and our traditions world's apart from that to which you have been accustomed. We only ask that you leave your baggage at the border as we desire to keep Virginia, Virginia.

I cannot speak for Roanoke, but in my neck of the woods, which is about 35 miles from Washington, DC, my area is VERY gun-friendly and lenient to gun owners and carriers. I imagine people will soon weigh in who live in Roanoke County to give you all the information you want.

Yes, joining VCDL is highly recommended and we certainly hope to have you on board. VCDL is at the forefront of the preservation of our basic rights and they do one heck of a job in our state. For a little example of how things are here, let me relate something to you.

On January 18th, Lobby Day was celebrated in Richmond. About 1000+ VCDL people showed up in the capital to lobby their representatives in their offices. And guess what? We were armed and carrying openly while going through the offices and the building and meeting with our public servants. Bet you can't do that in New York.

So once again, welcome to you and I hope you enjoy your time here and in our fine state.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kreutz welcome to VA! As you stated it VA will bea breath of fresh air compared to the state you're leaving. You will likely find the Roanoke area fairly firearms friendly, although one of our members here recently had an issue with what is likely a couplerogue Roanoke officers. My wife and I live over in the Lynchburg area about 50 miles from Roanoke and OC often with no issue at all. Keep your eyes open for greater Lynchburg area OC dinners once you get into town. If you've got a family, they are welcome to come as we welcome and appreciate family involvement.

I hope you enjoy your time in VA and learn to embrace the friendly folks and lifestyle here in VA. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
First let me welcome you aboard. We're happy to have you here and trust that you will both learn and contribute much.

And welcome to the Commonwealth of Virginia. You will, indeed, find our state and our traditions world's apart from that to which you have been accustomed. We only ask that you leave your baggage at the border as we desire to keep Virginia, Virginia.

I cannot speak for Roanoke, but in my neck of the woods, which is about 35 miles from Washington, DC, my area is VERY gun-friendly and lenient to gun owners and carriers. I imagine people will soon weigh in who live in Roanoke County to give you all the information you want.

Yes, joining VCDL is highly recommended and we certainly hope to have you on board. VCDL is at the forefront of the preservation of our basic rights and they do one heck of a job in our state. For a little example of how things are here, let me relate something to you.

On January 18th, Lobby Day was celebrated in Richmond. About 1000+ VCDL people showed up in the capital to lobby their representatives in their offices. And guess what? We were armed and carrying openly while going through the offices and the building and meeting with our public servants. Bet you can't do that in New York.

So once again, welcome to you and I hope you enjoy your time here and in our fine state.
+1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Kreutz - Welcome to the state of freedom - its not perfect but we are working on it. :)

I'm sure that the difference is astonishing to you. I'm not from Roanoke, but do visit there occasionally and have never had a problem. OCd at a festival at the "Star" (local landmark) w/o incident, even talked to a couple of LEOs while OCing.

The Roanoke Ledger-Star (newspaper) is infamous for its anti Op-Eds and stance generally, but so is most media.

If you haven't done so already, sign up for the free(no membership) Va-Alerts to keep up to date on what is happening in the Old Dominion.
http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

Please do join VCDL at the earliest opportunity - VCDL the premier grass roots organization in the country - we're strong because of our membership.

Obviously you want to become familiar with our laws - reading this section of the forum will help - lots of good people here. The following link is our "bible": http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Defining open carry:
http://vaguninfo.com/pages/opencarry.htm

When you get here, avail yourself of the opportunity to meet up with like minded others - OC dinners and breakfasts are regularly held. Its easier to OC the first few times with friends.

Fear that I am overloading you for so will ease off and end as I started - Welcome aboard!

Yata hey

2a4all

imported post

Welcome - to Va and to OCDO!

My wife and I are both transplants (she is from upstate NY), courtesy of the US Navy. We've lived here for almost 35 years, and like it. Our kids and grandkids also live nearby.

One thing you'll want to do is to attend a gun show. I think you'll find it to be an eye-opening experience.

Kreutz

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
First let me welcome you aboard. We're happy to have you here and trust that you will both learn and contribute much. And welcome to the Commonwealth of Virginia. You will, indeed, find our state and our traditions world's apart from that to which you have been accustomed. We only ask that you leave your baggage at the border as we desire to keep Virginia, Virginia.
You mean leave my rising blood pressure and crushing taxes here in NY? Not a problem. You'd be surprised though, NY is actually a huge state and it aint all Manhattan. Some of the finest hiking, hunting, and fishing and downright friendly people in the world can be found as little as 30 minutes north of the city.

Its actually a great place to live but its very hostile to young families (my wife and I have two girls and want another kid soon) and business owners (I own a small business) so I'm doubly hit on the cost of living, medical insurance, and taxes. And unfortunately the metro area is insanely hostile to the idea of people defending themselves.

Gonna miss the pizza though. :(

There is a huge exodus of New Yorkers (and our mutated cousins from New Jersey) to the Carolinas...which is why I'm not going there. We are like locusts. I admit it. They will recreate what they escaped from in 10 years by demanding it be just like home.....traffic, taxes, and crime will result.

Bet you're right. I'm not kidding, I'd be shot here. NY police are trigger happy.

Kreutz

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Welcome - to Va and to OCDO!

My wife and I are both transplants (she is from upstate NY), courtesy of the US Navy. We've lived here for almost 35 years, and like it. Our kids and grandkids also live nearby.

One thing you'll want to do is to attend a gun show. I think you'll find it to be an eye-opening experience.

Heh, we do have those here too you know! But I'm willing to bet turnout and selection is superior.

Thanks for the warm welcome, we should be there in July.