• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

should have had a gun

jeremy05

imported post

This caught my eye in the paper today.

You take a life, you give your life," said Terry Bingham, 36, of Shelby Township. His brother, David Bingham, 39, was robbed at a gas station in Pontiac in July 2005 by Christopher Jackson, then 17. As Bingham stood inside the gas station convenience store calling 911, Jackson returned and fatally shot him. Jackson, who taunted Bingham's family at his sentencing, is serving life in prison without parole. "He should never see the sunlight again," Terry Bingham said.

Should have had a gun. I guess this is what would always happen in a criminal only gun society.

Full article

http://freep.com/article/20100228/N...ho-kill-forever-or-give-them-a-second-chance?

IndianaBoy79

imported post

My employer requires us to sign an agreement not to use or carry any weapon. I'm not allowed to fight back in any manner, only cooperate. They say it's for MY safety...

I choose to break the company policy on a daily basis. I figure I might loose my job the next day, but at least I'll be alive to find another one.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Simple. If you leave your gun at home so you can keep your job, because your boss or company policy doesnt like it, then you have indicated that your paycheck is more valuable than your freedom and/or your life. therefore, it would be easier, less time consuming, and it likely pays better to just rob a bank.

Its just a way to put things back into perspective.

Pace

imported post

Should never fight over property. Someone wants money, give it to them. They decide to take your life, defend it.

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
My employer requires us to sign an agreement not to use or carry any weapon. I'm not allowed to fight back in any manner, only cooperate. They say it's for MY safety...

I choose to break the company policy on a daily basis. I figure I might loose my job the next day, but at least I'll be alive to find another one.

vegasche1023

imported post

Pace wrote:
Should never fight over property. Someone wants money, give it to them. They decide to take your life, defend it.
I don't think fighting for property is worth it either, well it depends on the amount or sentimental value. BUT and this is a BIG BUT, if someone attempts to rob me at gunpoint, it no longer becomes about property, it's a life or death matter. The perp might not want to kill you, but why wait to see? The perp could say, "give me your money or I'll kill you." Then after you give him your money(to safe your life, or so you thought), he shoots you anyway. That exact thing happened to my uncle a few years back but thankfully no major organs were hit.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Pace. What is with you and preaching about fighting for property? I have read other posts of yours and it's the same thing. Let me try to explain where I believe most of us are coming from...

We don't carry to protect property...

...and...

If someone has a gun and is threatening you, your life is already in danger.

It seems as though you believe that your life isn't in danger until the BG has already put a bullet in the air. This isn't the movies. You can't dodge bullets, you can't do a spin kick flip and land behind a gum ball machine while he unloads, and grabbing the gun to disarm him is a really bad idea that will most likely get you shot. I don't care what he's there for, he has a gun, he is threatening you with it, your life is in danger. Seems like a fairly simple concept here.

Please, please stop preaching to everyone about property and what they should or shouldn't fight for. You do what you see fit, I'll shoot the guy with a gun pointed at me. Can you drop it now?:uhoh:

SsevenN

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Simple. If you leave your gun at home so you can keep your job, because your boss or company policy doesnt like it, then you have indicated that your paycheck is more valuable than your freedom and/or your life. therefore, it would be easier, less time consuming, and it likely pays better to just rob a bank.

Its just a way to put things back into perspective.
Well put.

Pace

imported post

Your black and white claims show a lack of knowledge what average americans have to go through in order to support themselves. Asking them to no work, because they can't carry a gun is ridiculous. I'm happy you can afford to do that, but many of us have to feed our kids and support our family.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Pace wrote:
Are you just making things up because you want to make a point? I never said that if your life is in danger you shouldn't do anything. I said that property isn't worth taking anyone's life, nor getting into a fight. If a person is pointing a gun at you, you better consider it life threatening.

However, if someone comes into a store, tells you to give them money, there are legal implications if you just shoot them in most states, including not being in immediate danger. This applies to police officers and civilians.

You can think whatever you want, spout your theories and nonsense, but this forum is to talk about lawful open carry, not about guys with guns trying to stop ever robbery because they have a gun.
What about what I said was theories and nonsense? I can only assume that the gentleman posting here violates his companies policies because he figures a man robbing the store is going to be carrying a gun. With that assumption, he would not be fighting for property, but his life.

Robber w/gun = Life threat

Maybe Indiana boy would never DREAM of fighting for property. But a robber with a gun WOULD. All they care about is property because they put their lives, AND OURS, on the line to get it. That's the point I am trying to make. Just because someone would shoot a robber does NOT mean they are fighting for property. If the robber has a gun, it IMMEDIATELY becomes a fight for life. What about that is theories or nonsense?

One more thing...
There are more jobs to find out there. If you give up your rights to find work, that's sad. There are other places to make money. This is obviously a much more serious issue to other people here than it is to you. Don't bash us because you don't agree.

M

McX

imported post

my employer requires carry too................oh, wait a minute, i own the place.:D

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

@ Jeremy - hahaha! I want you on my side;)

@Pace - I think there are a lot more employers that wouldn't care than you think, and that's not the main point I was trying to make anyway which you seemed to forget about after my logical argument. It seems as though you are more worried about whether or not someone if fighting over property than thinking about the fact that this situation is based on a robber having a gun. No matter what the clerks moral standings are, if he has a gun on him, his life is in danger.

Why would you assume he was fighting over property?

Archsgurl

imported post

@Pace -- You know, I have read what you said, and have to say point blank that life is more important than money. That family is now without a father and husband because of a punk that was willing to kill over what you call property. You might not care enough about your life, to CC at work, to get around a stupid rule like no guns but what about your family? Do you want to leave them to carry on without you just cause that paycheck was more important to you than protecting yourself?

I have worked in a gas station alone, 5 am - 3 pm and it is scary to do when you only have the cameras and you know the cops are too far away to help. I wished I could have had a gun but that was in California - SF Bay Area-- and that state isnt gun friendly, imo, at all.

Your opinon is allowed from what I have seen here, but really do you have to bash others opinons? You would rather stand there and watch a BG take your car? your valuables? hurt your wife/gf/family? Then use your gun.. fine.. but dont insult the ones of us that believe in our right to protect ourselves.

*looks around*

Sorry, the newbie will be quiet now... :?

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Archsgurl wrote:
@Pace -- You know, I have read what you said, and have to say point blank that life is more important than money. That family is now without a father and husband because of a punk that was willing to kill over what you call property. You might not care enough about your life, to CC at work, to get around a stupid rule like no guns but what about your family? Do you want to leave them to carry on without you just cause that paycheck was more important to you than protecting yourself?

I have worked in a gas station alone, 5 am - 3 pm and it is scary to do when you only have the cameras and you know the cops are too far away to help. I wished I could have had a gun but that was in California - SF Bay Area-- and that state isnt gun friendly, imo, at all.

Your opinon is allowed from what I have seen here, but really do you have to bash others opinons? You would rather stand there and watch a BG take your car? your valuables? hurt your wife/gf/family? Then use your gun.. fine.. but dont insult the ones of us that believe in our right to protect ourselves.

*looks around*

I think the newbie should speak up more and on other threads. Good point. Don't know if that means much coming from a newbie or not;)

Archsgurl

imported post

Mr.FiredUp wrote:
Archsgurl wrote:

*looks around*

I think the newbie should speak up more and on other threads. Good point. Don't know if that means much coming from a newbie or not;)
Thanks I think. Well I will at least take that as a compliment. I just cant stand bashing just because we have a different point of view. Unless you have been in a situation where that CC or OC gun has saved you from harm, you really have no right, imo, of bashing others who would use their gun to protect the ones they love.

Also why bash on a pro gun carry forum? If you dont want to carry, then why come here? We already have made the decision to carry and you bashing is only going to get you called a troll or a Brady Brat or something else that means Anti gun.

[you is used generally and doesnt mean anyone specific..... but if the shoe fits... :p]