• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - Buzz and bullets: Gun fans cheer Starbucks' policy

Springfield45ACP

imported post

EdwardNorton wrote:
Since you chose to bring up the shootings in the schools how about we address the numerous other places that criminals are killing people. For instance, our churches, our shopping malls, our banks, our fast food business's & just about any other place where the public gathers.

Edward,

I'd like to clarify a point you may or may not have been making. These other places where so many killing occur have one thing in common for the most part. They are mostly locations that are illegal to carry a gun. These gun-free zones are the best place in the world for criminals. Examples: schools, churches, restaurants, parks.

In my opinion, when you open up a zone to prohibit the lawful, you invite the lawless. Someone willing to take a life - again, in my opinion, the most heinous of all crimes - does NOT care about anyone's petty law about gun possession.

I see the whole notion as silly. It is about as silly as ticketing a bankrobber for parking in a handicapped spot. About the only reason he'd care is if his getaway car was towed.

Best Regards

S45

YoZUpZ

imported post

Springfield45ACP wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Since you guys opened the door to carrying for self defense, I'll take advantage of this opportunity to REMIND ya'll the true purpose of bearing arms is NOT, I repeat, is NOT about protecting yourself from street thugs, it's about reminding those who "serve" in government just who's the boss.

So as long as we "bear" in silence, definitely not publicy and absolutely don't bother or offend anyone, especially the street thugs, then we satisfy your interpretation of the 2nd Ammendment?  Hmm

How about I buy you a t-shirt that says "I don't think the 2nd ammendment applies to protecting myself from YOU, Mr. Street Thug."  Also, if you would be so kind, as apparently you are a really nice person who doesn't wish to offend anyone, please let us know how that works out for you.

I have guns for both reasons, I carry a handgun when I go out to protect myself and those around me.

I think what he is pointing out that our country's founders wanted us to bear arms to protect us not just from the thugs in the street, but the thugs that may use their positions to gain political power and that may try to take away our God-given/natural rights.

Sadly, our government is slyly (and not so slyly) trying to make us forget the second part, by telling us "there is no need for assault rifles", "there is no need for automatic weapons" by focusing on protecting ourselves from common criminals that will try to rob or rape us, they try to make us forget that Yes we do need assault rifles... Yes we do need machine guns... Yes, we do need armor piercing bullets so we can protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. If the time comes that we need to defend ourselves from such a government, our handguns will have no effect against their automatic weapons and body armor... Sadly they have not just the general public convinced that there is no need for such weapons, but I have heard many gun owners agreeing that there is no need for automatic weapons...

So, I appreciate the reminder, I wouldn't say it is the "only real" reason we need guns, but is a very large part.

Thundar

imported post

I disagree Mark. The reason for the RKBA (2A) is as you said, but people can have their own reasons. The real beauty is that it is a right, and no reason or justification is required.

Sent from Palm Pre.

YoZUpZ

imported post

G. Gordon Liddy (someone I have NO use for) took a lot of flack for suggesting head shots, should the BATFEXYZ come calling.  This does not require armor-piercing rounds.

Yeah, I've thought about that, I've also thought about Riot gear and the face masks that are worn, I know they aren't bullet proof, but if they were to do a mass gun confiscation, my bet is that they would be decked out with as much armor as possible, what if by that time, there were bullet-proof face masks?

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I disagree Mark. The reason for the RKBA (2A) is as you said, but people can have their own reasons. The real beauty is that it is a right, and no reason or justification is required.

Sent from Palm Pre.
LOL, you AGREE my statement is correct, but then turn right around and start with the usual statists "but, but, but logic."
People CAN "have their reasons", but all the reasons they can spew will never alter the founders' intent one iota.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:

Sent from Palm Pre.
LOL, you AGREE my statement is correct, but then turn right around and start with the usual statists "but, but, but logic."
People CAN "have their reasons", but all the reasons they can spew will never alter the founders' intent one iota.
We are all free to make choices, have reasons - that was the founders intent IMHO.

It is primarily the government that is so restricted/limited.

Yata hey

Lthrnck

imported post

You need to go read about what the orginal militias were designed to do. They were set up to protect not only the state but also the for individual protection.

Mitochondria

imported post

EdwardNorton wrote:
Mitochondria wrote:
Now that was funny. :)

There is no reason to justify guns in Starbucks. I would rather have people throw coffee on each other, than shoot each other. People need to be able to feel at least somewhat safe and comfortable. I live in Jamaica, where the gun violence situation is very extreme, and no one goes outside because of it. That has quite literally diminished the quality of life here substantially.

Many people think that they are invincible because they have guns, and they certainly are not. They are killed and robbed very frequently, and easily. The use of guns as self defense weapons has failed to keep crime under control, mainly because you never have easy access to your gun when you need it most, and if you position it for easy access, then burglars have easy access to it and shoot you with it very easily. They are silent, and sadly, too successful. There is also a huge problem with school shootings due to children taking their parents' guns to school. You can either conceal your gun thoroughly and get killed easily by a criminal, or you can make yourself very vulnerable and make it easily accessible to both you and your children. As you can see, it is a lose-lose situation. Good for criminals, and terrible for innocent citizens. Humans are irresponsible, and cannot be trusted with certain things, especially not things such as guns and alcohol. Those two things are mostly abused, and are not helpful.
Ahh and the blind lead the blind.

First of all I am justified in carrying my legally owned handgun into a Starbucks far more than the idiot that may come in there with criminal intent in mind.

You are blind to several facts my friend. First of all most handguns that criminals obtain are from the streets and not from their parents dresser drawer.

Since you chose to bring up the shootings in the schools how about we address the numerous other places that criminals are killing people. For instance, our churches, our shopping malls, our banks, our fast food business's & just about any other place where the public gathers.

Most criminals are not silent as you and Hollywood tend to present to those that watch. Criminals that break into homes for the most part make noise and in some cases, a lot of noise.

People that own guns know that they are at risk to loss of life, that's why we own them. It's people such as yourself that rely solely on the local law enforcement to arrive on the scene to "save the day". (again a Hollywood scenario, which rarely happens by the way).

I have many friends that live in Jamaica & I've been there several times and let me tell you this much, guns are not the issue or root of the problems there. It's the mentality of some that they must take from others to justify their hate toward anyone and everyone. An old Jamaican phrase concerning how to get even with those that do them harm is "to remove a weed from a garden you do not simply cut it off-you remove it by the root". Meaning that you do not kill the one that offended you but you kill their entire family. That is the problem in your country and has nothing to do with guns.

Moan and groan all that you desire. As for me and my family, we will continue to fight for our right to own and carry our handguns. We will also carry them without the fear that those do not chose to carry a handgun live with. When someone starts shooting at you then duck if you've time or run if you can. I wish you all the best.

The same applies to idiots. I know that criminals are the issue, and guns are making it much easier for criminals to commit crimes, and on top of that they make it easier for them to get away with them, they can shoot from far away and never be caught. Listen, if someone decides to shoot you, you will most likely not have your gun out, loaded, and in your hand to shoot them, so they win, and you lose. Jamaicans have guns, like Americans, and the criminals shoot the living daylights out of them anyway.

I am not for conventional gun control laws, because that is what you seem to think I am for. I know that it isn't enough to only ban guns from public places, but, Starbucks can set up gun detectors, those are making progress, to keep most guns out, unless a VERY clever and extremely skilled person managed to construct one that can get past such a doorway scanner. I don't trust the judgement of your (probably) biased friends that live in Jamaica, who will probably deny that there is a major problem with gun violence. I was born and grew up here, of course I know that gun violence is a huge problem.

On the news. I always hear that people were shot and killed, I don't usually hear that they were stabbed and killed. Thousands are killed by guns, yearly, in this tiny little country, guns are definitely a huge part of it. Now, since the gun control situation is so complicated, I would be much happier if guns were actually helping the citizens to stay safe, but they are not. I already explained how futile it is whether or not you have a gun if a criminal decides to shoot you. I don't know if you are picturing one of those "quick draw" situations similar to those in old western movies, but, most situations are not like that. If someone wants to kill you, they can simply wait behind your wall or hedge, and shoot you through the car window when you drive out, and your gun could not have saved you. See how easy that was? That was quite literally effortless! :)

Here is another example, you are sleeping, and someone wants to kill you. AIM through the bedroom window and POP, you're defeated again. I don't care if you have a giant collection of machine guns, they will still kill you even with a pistol, guns are significantly better for murder, than they are for self defense, otherwise, I would have one right now. I actually thought about getting one the other day, and realized that it would not make me safe, maybe it could make me safer if I had it loaded and properly positioned in my hand at all times, but, that is not feasible, is it?

I will give you my honest opinion on Starbucks. Without a proper gun scanner, it is a bad idea to ban guns, because the criminals will certainly sneak in with them, and then the law abiding citizens would be unarmed. So it is either a properly planned ban which effectively keeps guns out, or no ban at all. About the fact that I am "blind" about, I never said that criminals get their guns from the parents' drawers, I said that children do. Criminals smuggle guns from various places, but sadly, since it is so easy to get them in the U.S, even criminals outside of the U.S are getting their guns from there, just because of some stubborn hillbillies that want everyone to have guns, even though they are not ready for that.

"We will also carry them without the fear that those do not chose to carry a handgun live with." I'm sorry, that made me laugh. Without the fear? Are you saying that you will carry them without the fear of being effortlessly shot? That won't save you. I am understandably more fearful than some people that own guns, because those people are simply too confident, and as a result of that, are not nearly as cautious. I know them and they get into a lot more trouble with people than I do, and those same gun owners have to wait for the police to come and put them in body bags, or their family. Caution is best. Fearlessness = Stupidity. Fear causes caution, caution is the best lifesaver. Please be logical. :)

Burglars are usually petty thieves though, and yes, they are quiet. They just want to sneak in, grab some small enough things, and then get out easily, they don't want any trouble, otherwise they would not be sneaking.

I do understand that you want people to have peace of mind, but not in the way that you want it. They still have to be cautious enough. because that is necessary.

A world without guns, is a much safer world with a much better quality of life.

I would like someone to explain why assault rifles are necessary? Those are only for war and giving single criminals the ability to murder many people at once, especially in banks, churches, schools. There will never be a day where tens of thousands of civilians and police officers face off with automatic machine guns. It is paranoid to expect such an extreme situation. Guns are extremely expensive, anyway. Paranoia is not only mentally unhealthy, but it can be uneconomical as well.

Alright, when someone starts shooting at you, I wish you the best, because you will have to duck or run too, unless for some strange reason, your gun is in your hand and loaded.

Who is the blind one now?

PavePusher

imported post

"A world without guns, is a much safer world with a much better quality of life."

Not really. Think "Might makes Right" and extrapolate. The strong will dominate, the weak... not so much. The times prior to firearms were NOT all peace and light. At all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Perhaps the 30 most important minutes in history (pro arguments)will occur tommorrow, March 2nd, before the United States Supreme Court. http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m3d1-All-eyes-on-Supreme-Court-Tuesday-for-Chicago-gun-ban-showdown?cid=examiner-email

Yata hey
April 2nd? You have a DeLorean?
While we move ahead to the past - what can I say but I flucky uppy.

Fixed it, but too late.

Yata hey

Pagan

imported post

blindhog wrote:
Well being barefoot is not explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights , but the 2a is suppose to protect that right from government. I have the same question on the NC forum, if they can deny me from their business for carrying, then why not for my religious beliefs or my race? To me it's a civil rights case just waiting.

That's the way I see it as well, ifI can ban you from carrying and excercising your right to bear arms, then I should be able to ban Baptist and Jews from my store or place of business, or even my local,"Moose Lodge" for example.

But try any of those and watch all the anti-gun wackos come screamingwith law suits, and WIN, those suits!

Either all ofour rights are protected, and incorporated or none of them are! I think slavery was and is wrong, and I am glad we are still a united Union, but some times Iunderstand the southern view of the civil war.

States rightsare part of our rights!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mitochondria wrote:
david865 wrote:
Here goes the small penis syndrome again. Why are you people so afraid of acting like a man? Grow up, become more educated and less paranoid. These insecurities you have will not lessen because of that BIG GUN you parade about with.:celebrate

Now that was funny. :)

There is no reason to justify guns in Starbucks. I would rather have people throw coffee on each other, than shoot each other. People need to be able to feel at least somewhat safe and comfortable. I live in Jamaica, where the gun violence situation is very extreme, and no one goes outside because of it. That has quite literally diminished the quality of life here substantially.

Many people think that they are invincible because they have guns, and they certainly are not. They are killed and robbed very frequently, and easily. The use of guns as self defense weapons has failed to keep crime under control, mainly because you never have easy access to your gun when you need it most, and if you position it for easy access, then burglars have easy access to it and shoot you with it very easily. They are silent, and sadly, too successful. There is also a huge problem with school shootings due to children taking their parents' guns to school. You can either conceal your gun thoroughly and get killed easily by a criminal, or you can make yourself very vulnerable and make it easily accessible to both you and your children. As you can see, it is a lose-lose situation. Good for criminals, and terrible for innocent citizens. Humans are irresponsible, and cannot be trusted with certain things, especially not things such as guns and alcohol. Those two things are mostly abused, and are not helpful.
O RLY?

Wow, so many 'facts' in this one....

I only replied to this so that the writer would know I saw it and that it wasn't worth actually responding to. It defeats it's own position in almost every other sentence.

I know it's a troll. A really dumb one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pagan wrote:
blindhog wrote:
Well being barefoot is not explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights , but the 2a is suppose to protect that right from government. I have the same question on the NC forum, if they can deny me from their business for carrying, then why not for my religious beliefs or my race? To me it's a civil rights case just waiting.

That's the way I see it as well, ifI can ban you from carrying and excercising your right to bear arms, then I should be able to ban Baptist and Jews from my store or place of business, or even my local,"Moose Lodge" for example.

But try any of those and watch all the anti-gun wackos come screamingwith law suits, and WIN, those suits!

Either all ofour rights are protected, and incorporated or none of them are! I think slavery was and is wrong, and I am glad we are still a united Union, but some times Iunderstand the southern view of the civil war.

States rightsare part of our rights!
Protected classes include:Do you notice the absence of anything related to RKBAs?

We are NOT a protected class by virtue of what tools we carry.

Property rights reign supreme regarding anybody not on the list of protected classes with regard to private property (retail, malls, hotels, etc) with few exceptions. Conduct not associated with those innumerated are at the pleasure of the property owner. Ex: A 42 yo Hispanic woman, not wearing shoes (barefoot) can be asked to leave and not return without shoes.

In your personal home and lands, you may discriminate or not to your hearts content.

Yata hey

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No, that was not the founders intent.
You can have all the choices and reasons you want, the 2nd amendment is about protecting ourselves from tyranny.
We are (almost) there today.

It is about tyranny. There is no other reason that was at the front of the founders mind.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world."

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

david865 wrote:
Here goes the small penis syndrome again. Why are you people so afraid of acting like a man? Grow up, become more educated and less paranoid. These insecurities you have will not lessen because of that BIG GUN you parade about with.:celebrate

You might want to read this.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

Plus, I challenge you to cite just one incidence of someone attempting to use their penis in self defense against a violant attack.

Your statement is as childish as the old line I use to hear when I was a sand box varmit, "Oh yeah.... well..... yo mamma wears combat boots!!!"

I'd say you were the one with a growth retardation problem.