• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Display of OC rights

kenny

imported post

Just west of the Boulevard about 10:30 last night a individual(s) was exercising his OC rights. Unfortunately it was at party for teenagers and a girl was shot. The weapon which I did not see, but heard very well must have been an automatic capaable of firing 15-20 rounds in a blink of the eye.

It looks like the good guys are outnumbered again.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/SHOTGAT28_20100228-140001/327409/

edited to add addtional news link

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-teen-party-shooting,0,1264922.story

Sometimes the news does not cover everything nor may they do it quickly. I was an "Ear" witness at first and then became an eye witness.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kenny wrote:
Just west of the Boulevard about 10:30 last night a individual(s) was exercising his OC rights. Unfortunately it was at party for teenagers and a girl was shot. The wapon which I did not see, but heard very well must have been an automatic capaable of firing 15-20 rounds in a blink of the eye.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/SHOTGAT28_20100228-140001/327409/

So, you aresaying that you were in the vicinity at the time? Close enough to hear 15-20 rounds go off?

"Cause the newspaper Did I get that right?article gave almost no info other than there was a shooting.

What the heck are you doing in that neighborhood?

stay safe.

skidmark

kenny

imported post

DrMark wrote:
If you did not see it, how do you know he was open carrying?
Assumed he had it in the open when he fired as I live no more than four blocks away and I heard the rapid fire. It would not be classy for a punk or thug to fire it off in a car. But if he did and it was not concealed it would still be open.

kenny

imported post

skidmark wrote:
kenny wrote:
Just west of the Boulevard about 10:30 last night a individual(s) was exercising his OC rights. Unfortunately it was at party for teenagers and a girl was shot. The weapon which I did not see, but heard very well must have been an automatic capaable of firing 15-20 rounds in a blink of the eye.

So, you aresaying that you were in the vicinity at the time? Close enough to hear 15-20 rounds go off?

"Cause the newspaper Did I get that right?article gave almost no info other than there was a shooting.

What the heck are you doing in that neighborhood?

stay safe.

skidmark

The incident was just north west of B & B and I am just south east of the same. I was inside my homeminding my own business. It did give mea chance to put a clip in the ole AR-15.

When RPD stopped a potental BG's car you would have thought there was a new donut shop in town. As the crow flies it is about 3000 feet. Heck I can even hear trucks on 95 and the races at RIC on a good night. For some reason my place is like a funnel and I hear every noise.

I had just arrived home after a day trip. You can see a lot of interesting things that time of night, especially with a full moon.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bs-Flag.gif

Sorry, but I had to hoist the ensign on this one.

The cite(?) does not confirm any of the OP statements including the misleading, disingenuous thread title.

At the very least, it is irresponsible "reporting" to suggest that because a gun (or was it guns) was fired it must have been OCd.

Didn't know that the moon was full, but its easy to believe after reading this. :banghead:

Yata hey

driveramsII

imported post

Im not commenting on the OC part, I just know thats a little close to home for me (not that this is the first time) but it reaffirms my belief in self preservation ;). I dont know where kenny lives exactly but I have hardly ever heard Richmond quiet enough to hear my next door neighbors, none the less the interstate. I do hear the train every once in a while though.

TFred

imported post

kenny wrote:
DrMark wrote:
If you did not see it, how do you know he was open carrying?
Assumed he had it in the open when he fired as I live no more than four blocks away and I heard the rapid fire. It would not be classy for a punk or thug to fire it off in a car. But if he did and it was not concealed it would still be open.
I'm not going to make any assumptions about the rest of your post, however, I do feel it is important to point out the flaw in your conclusion that the weapon was "openly carried".

This isn't news: open carry is generally referring to a handgun that is attached, or in close proximity to your body in such a manner that it would be visible to one who would care to look for it. The distinction between open and concealed carry has nothing to do with the status of the handgun if it is taken from it's previous carry position (usually in a holster, or if you're a moron, in your waistband) and fired.

It would be nearly impossible to fire a concealed handgun. The status refers to the visibility of the gun while you brought it to where you are, not the visibility of the gun as you use it.

In addition, if the gun were concealed, and then removed to be fired, barring the usual exceptions for self-defense, etc, there would most likely be brandishing involved, which is not a right, like OC. The "right" to carry a gun generally stops the moment you touch it, or even reveal or make reference to it in a threatening way. At that point, you need to justify your actions.

Details are certainly sparse, but if this turns out to be what it appears, your run-of-the-mill "bad neighborhood" criminal shooting incident, then what happened there has absolutely nothing to do with Open Carry.

MHO, for what its worth.

TFred

kennys

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
bs-Flag.gif

Sorry, but I had to hoist the ensign on this one.

The cite(?) does not confirm any of the OP statements including the misleading, disingenuous thread title.

At the very least, it is irresponsible "reporting" to suggest that because a gun (or was it guns) was fired it must have been OCd.

Didn't know that the moon was full, but its easy to believe after reading this. :banghead:

Yata hey
I agree, and by the way, when was the last time you put a clip in your AR?:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm still trying to figure the post out.
I often disagree with the OP, but usually understand what he's saying.:uhoh:

TFred

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Why does the OP refer to the supposed handgun as an "automatic?" Did you mean semi-automatic?
The OP described it thusly: "The weapon which I did not see, but heard very well must have been an automatic capaable of firing 15-20 rounds in a blink of the eye."

Now I'll concede that "a blink of the eye" is not a well-defined length of time, and is subject to some leeway in interpretation, but I would tend to assume it was short enough that the OP probably did mean to confer that what he thought he heard was indeed, a fully automatic weapon.

TFred

kenny

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Kenny, what do you mean? There was a firefight with automatic weapons in Richmond?
I would not call it a fire fight, however when a local thug wanna be pulls out a firearm and pulls the trigger and hears as many pops as I heard in a blink of the eye there is no other explanation. The resulting police response when they stopped the alleged gunman was over whelming. I counted a half dozen making the stop and the same number securing the perimeter.

The police are being tight lipped about the entire situation. As sure as I am breathing I know for a fact it was automatic weapon fire. By the way it was later confirmed by a neighborhood officer.

kenny

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Why does the OP refer to the supposed handgun as an "automatic?" Did you mean semi-automatic?
I would have to have six million dollar fingers to pull a trigger that fast. I said and I meant automatic. Which was confirmed to me after a conversation the next day with an officer.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

There were reports of "Automatic" gun fire. The Police are being tight lipped about it and since it's an ongoing investigation, I can't FOIA any information yet.

Since the Media people at the Richmond PD are former Channel 12 employees, it will be on there before I get any information.

I still don't understand the OC end of it. I haven't found any indication that the shooter was an OC'er. The gun was certainly visible when he shot but that doesn't qualify as OC.

kennys

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I still don't understand the OC end of it. I haven't found any indication that the shooter was an OC'er. The gun was certainly visible when he shot but that doesn't qualify as OC.

As the since goes and we don’t know the detail, I would consider it illegal brandishing to shoot. The gun if it was automatic, I presume was illegal; the possession of the weapon could be presumed illegal as well the use presumed illegal. IMOA this has illegal all over it.

As so many have a disoriented view already of what assault weapons are, I hate the title of this thread. Not to say it was intentional, but should have been called something elce.

kenny

imported post

peter nap wrote:
There were reports of "Automatic" gun fire. The Police are being tight lipped about it and since it's an ongoing investigation, I can't FOIA any information yet.

Since the Media people at the Richmond PD are former Channel 12 employees, it will be on there before I get any information.

It is connected to the recent weekend incidents. As was a search warrant that was executed this past Friday on the promoter. When I get a chance to get downtown I will personally get the details of the search warrant.

Perhaps the topic title is misleading however the weapon was in the open and he had it on his person.