• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just watched two kids smash a car window

antispam540

imported post

You're probably thinking "parking deck, late at night", right? No. This was in broad daylight, in public at a mall parking lot. They looked like they were high-school age, probably from Kingston HS given their manner of dress. I hear the "shhh" noise of a window being punched in, and they ran off holding a backpack that, I assume, contained the target of their thievery.

I was too far away to catch them, and I was armed only with my knife - not that there's anything I could have done if I did catch them. I am disappointed in myself, furious with them, and disgusted with the kind of society that could breed such worthless filth. I wish I had a Ruger 10/22 and the laws were different - a couple of bleeding wound channels in their abdomens, and they'd rethink stealing reeeeaaal fast. As it is, they probably got away scot-free, and they'll probably do it again next weekend.

antispam540

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
And you didn't call 911 and give descriptions, locations and directions?
They ran through trees to a road with dozens of businesses on the other side. They were too far away for an accurate description, I had only a second or two to see them, and I couldn't see where they were headed through the trees. If I thought there was any chance of them being caught, I would have done so.

DaemonForce

imported post

What you described isthe world I live in. I wouldn't have tried to stop them if I had the chance. There's something strange about how determined people are to break into something and steal stuff in broad daylight. On another note, the police probably wouldn't have done anythinghad they gotten a call.

I remember a few years way back when...I had a very rare bicycle. One evening I was talking to a friend on the other side of town for a few minutes and someone stole the bike. It had just gotten dark and the idiot was riding around the gas station on it in plain sight. I tried to recover my property but failed. I gave the police the guy's complete description, the serial number of the bicycle and even described that since there were only two of them in all of Lewis County. I still haven't seen any development or heard anything about this since the report.

I have had more than five experiences where someone stole something from my propertyin broad daylight.These are not worthless filth, just completely worthless.They don't try to rob me of possessions on my person. It doesn't happen. These are people that are scared and desperate. I still can't calculate what kind of balance risk:reward these kind of people have in mind butI knowit's always stupid kids and it's always going to plague me everywhere I go.

New Daddy

imported post

It's low risk. Most of the time they get away with it. IF they get caught by the police it's a game, and very little bad happens to them. Sometimes they hit the lottery when someone catches them and use unreasonable force.

That's why car theft is so rampant. It takes umpteen convictions before they see any jail time.

jbone

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
SNIP:and they'll probably do it again next weekend.
More like, they probably did it again that day!

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

If someone is running away with something of yours and you see it can you do anything about it? What if they grabbed a backpack out of your car that just so happened to contain something VERY expensive. ... I cant imagine just letting them go and hopefully the police catch up with them later.

DaemonForce

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
If someone is running away with something of yours and you see it can you do anything about it? What if they grabbed a backpack out of your car that just so happened to contain something VERY expensive. ... I cant imagine just letting them go and hopefully the police catch up with them later.
It largely depends on theenvironment but I can say for the most part: no. In said situation, I am unable to do anything to recover my property.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
Chase em with some distance, stay on line with 911.

If it were me, I'd curve around to try to intentionally influence them to run into a direction where I know they would be cornered...

Tell them to stop, don't go nowhere....if they try to get away..they must run past me...and if they are trying to run past me, they are running in my general direction...and I take that as a threat and I take it personal.

I'd do this the whole time my phone was still connected to 911 of course, so they can record the audio to everything.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Why is it that I'd feel morally justified pulling out a rifle and dropping the kids right there.... (If it was my stuff)

But the law forbids it...

I wonder how many people stopped stealing horses/cattle when cattle rustlers were shot on sight?

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

If it was an ipod or laptop or whatever....I wouldn't bother, but if you had something truly important and irreplaceable that someone had just run off with and they already had enough ground that you wouldn't be able to catch them on foot....blah, that situation would suck.