• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northern Virginia Utah Class - Sat., March 27th

Vanns40

imported post

When: Sat., March 27 ** There are still seats available ** sign up now.

Cost: $85

Included with course: Fingerprinting & application form

Length of course: 4 hours (approx.)

Payment: GunPal ONLY.

Go to http://www.utahconcealedcarryclass.com

Class taught by: Dave Vann

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I love it when someone schedules a Utah permit class on the same day as ours, and for the same price as ours, 90 minutes away from ours....

makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....:)
According to Mapquest.com it's 113 miles and 2 hours... If you can do that in 90 minutes in I95 traffic, maybe you should call a few NASCAR teams :what:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I love it when someone schedules a Utah permit class on the same day as ours, and for the same price as ours, 90 minutes away from ours....

makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....:)
According to Mapquest.com it's 113 miles and 2 hours... If you can do that in 90 minutes in I95 traffic, maybe you should call a few NASCAR teams :what:

haha. no one uses mapquest anymore. They are never accurate. Google maps calls it 1 hour and 43 minutes. I've done that trip in 90 minutes several times while following the speed limit.

jmb_nova

imported post

So I was looking at the Utah & VA reciprocity maps and there is some difference but not a ton. What is the best benefit of getting a Utah permit?

Im interested, just curious...

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
haha. no one uses mapquest anymore. They are never accurate. Google maps calls it 1 hour and 43 minutes. I've done that trip in 90 minutes several times while following the speed limit.
According to Google maps, from 9702 Gayton Rd 23238 (the address on your website) to 1587 Spring Hill Rd. 22182, the address of the Comfort Inn Tyson's Corner, is 113 miles, two hours 5 minutes.... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=9702+Gayton+Rd+23238&daddr=1587+Spring+Hill+Rd.+22182&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=38.925988,-77.059974&sspn=0.099892,0.146084&ie=UTF8&z=9

To travel 113 miles in 90 minutes requires an AVERAGE speed of 75.3 miles per hour, somewhat higher than the speed limit at any point along the trip...

ProShooter

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
According to Google maps, from 9702 Gayton Rd 23238 (the address on your website) to 1587 Spring Hill Rd. 22182, the address of the Comfort Inn Tyson's Corner, is 113 miles, two hours 5 minutes.... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=9702+Gayton+Rd+23238&daddr=1587+Spring+Hill+Rd.+22182&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=38.925988,-77.059974&sspn=0.099892,0.146084&ie=UTF8&z=9

To travel 113 miles in 90 minutes requires an AVERAGE speed of 75.3 miles per hour, somewhat higher than the speed limit at any point along the trip...

That would be great, but the Gayton Road address is our mailing address, not whereour classes are held.

From our class location to the Comfort Inn location is 93.8 miles.

TFred

imported post

jmb_nova wrote:
So I was looking at the Utah & VA reciprocity maps and there is some difference but not a ton. What is the best benefit of getting a Utah permit?

My personal reason is that Utah keeps their permit records confidential. With today's developments, it appears all but certain that our effort to do that in Virginia is delayed for at least another year.

I can't tolerate the fact that anyone can go down to the court clerk's office and obtain a list which would include my name and address, with the knowledge that there are likely to be firearms in my home to be stolen. It's not an everyday occurrence, but there have been cases of home invasions and home break-in/ambushes for the purpose of stealing guns.

Why the anti's can't see that it's a dumb idea to let the criminals know where to go to steal guns is quite beyond my reasoning ability.

TFred

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
vanns - I just had a call from an older gentleman looking for a Utah class in Nova. I directed him to your site. I guess the drive to Richmond was a bit out of his comfort zone. :)
The drive from NoVa down I-95 is a bit out of anyone's comfort zone!

TFred

Vanns40

imported post

Hey, I love it when I give someone a warm, fuzzy feeling. Come on up and I'll treat to a cup of coffee at Starbucks! :) We can even go out for dinner.

Vanns40

imported post

TFred wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:

My personal reason is that Utah keeps their permit records confidential. With today's developments, it appears all but certain that our effort to do that in Virginia is delayed for at least another year.

I can't tolerate the fact that anyone can go down to the court clerk's office and obtain a list which would include my name and address, with the knowledge that there are likely to be firearms in my home to be stolen. It's not an everyday occurrence, but there have been cases of home invasions and home break-in/ambushes for the purpose of stealing guns.

Why the anti's can't see that it's a dumb idea to let the criminals know where to go to steal guns is quite beyond my reasoning ability.

TFred
We've been trying to get that changed for years. The threat of kicking politicos out of office doesn't seem to be working so I guess we have to follow up on it with some real action. Keeping one's privacy is the best reason I know of to have a Utah permit.

Vanns40

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
vanns - I just had a call from an older gentleman looking for a Utah class in Nova. I directed him to your site. I guess the drive to Richmond was a bit out of his comfort zone. :)
Thanks, appreciate it. I'm trying to keep the price real and still make a profit. There are so few Utah instructors in Texas, the going rate is $190 per student.

ProShooter

imported post

Vanns40 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Thanks, appreciate it. I'm trying to keep the price real and still make a profit. There are so few Utah instructors in Texas, the going rate is $190 per student.
That's what I was alluding to in my first post. Many folks tell me that they would like to take the class in NOVA but some places charge $125+ and that is hard to swallow for some people. I'm glad to see that yours is priced the same as ours. Now I have a comparable resource to send folks to.

nova

imported post

TFred wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:

TFred
my personal reason for NOT getting a Utah permit is that I don't want to be fingerprinted like a criminal before getting something that allows me to exercise what is supposed to be a right.

My county in VA does not do fingerprinting.

TFred

imported post

nova wrote:
TFred wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:

TFred
my personal reason for NOT getting a Utah permit is that I don't want to be fingerprinted like a criminal before getting something that allows me to exercise what is supposed to be a right.

My county in VA does not do fingerprinting.
Ah, I can understand that. I've already been printed several times for work, so I didn't give up anything to get printed again for the Utah permit.

TFred