• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just for the record

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't claim to speak for Doug, nor would I try to; but, if he means what I write below, then I agree.

14A
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
It is my opinion that simply denying one possession of firearms on the grounds that one is a felon without specific due process is wrong; especially if the crime had nothing to do with a firearm. It's my belief that the person should be tried for the crime and if found guilty, should be then tried on whether to disable his/her right to possess arms.

After having a right disabled, there should also be legal recourse for a person to petition that his/her right be restored as well.

And no; I'm not a felon..........

Justice402

imported post

This is why the laws need to be changed. I understand that if someone went to prison for a crime that didn't involve violence, or a weapon such as a drug possession charge then should that take away their right to own a firearm once they're released? I don't know. Simply doing time may not warrant taking away that right. But if someone was released after using a gun in a crime then they should never be able to own or possess a weapon, ever. Let me ask you this, as a police officer if I were found guilty of a crime which could be non violent, lets say I used drugs. I would lose my job and go to jail. Now, once I serve my time and am again a free man, should I be permitted to get another law enforcement position? Under current law I can not. Is this a violation of my rights? I don't think so. Again, it comes down to I knew what I was doing and should have thought about it before committing the crime. But I paid my time, my rights are being violated. Simply being released because someone did their time in prison does not mean they can be trusted. If this is the case, my rights as a police officer are being violated all the time when I arrest someone for a drug possession and their bail is set at $25,000.00 and they go to jail for six months for consuming and possessing some drugs, yet someone assaults me and their bail is set at $2,500.00 with no jail sentence. Go figure. Years ago I arrested someone for assault on me, this person was just released after serving (8) months of a (4) year term he was originally sentenced to when he committed the assault on me. After transporting this individual to the county jail he assaulted me again and had to be subdued by several corrections officers. So now he has (2) charges of assault on me. This is now (2) violations of his parole. He was sentenced to (2) years probation for the assaults on me. As you can see I don't have much sympathy for criminals rights, but the liberals do. God Bless America.

Justice402

imported post

Now atleast I know you are truly a liberal Mr. Huffman. By the use of the word conspiracy. It is the liberals in this country that always use the term "conspiracy" when they hear something they don't want to hear. Now I know to pay no mind to your posts. I knew after reading afew more posts from you I'd be able to figure you out. Thank you for clearing that up.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

LOL! Once upon a time a federal agent tried to bring charges against my unit for our non-secure use of "tritium" in our documents. For weeks thereafter he would be greeted with chants of "Tritium, tritium tritium!"

Yep, I'm a liberal. Read Timothy Ferris' The Science of Liberty to discover just what kind of liberal I am. Hint; I don't write for your approval and not for the approval of any anonymous Anony Mouse. FOAD

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Justice402 wrote:
This is why the laws need to be changed. I understand that if someone went to prison for a crime that didn't involve violence, or a weapon such as a drug possession charge then should that take away their right to own a firearm once they're released? I don't know. Simply doing time may not warrant taking away that right. But if someone was released after using a gun in a crime then they should never be able to own or possess a weapon, ever. Let me ask you this, as a police officer if I were found guilty of a crime which could be non violent, lets say I used drugs. I would lose my job and go to jail. Now, once I serve my time and am again a free man, should I be permitted to get another law enforcement position? Under current law I can not. Is this a violation of my rights? I don't think so. Again, it comes down to I knew what I was doing and should have thought about it before committing the crime. But I paid my time, my rights are being violated. Simply being released because someone did their time in prison does not mean they can be trusted. If this is the case, my rights as a police officer are being violated all the time when I arrest someone for a drug possession and their bail is set at $25,000.00 and they go to jail for six months for consuming and possessing some drugs, yet someone assaults me and their bail is set at $2,500.00 with no jail sentence. Go figure. Years ago I arrested someone for assault on me, this person was just released after serving (8) months of a (4) year term he was originally sentenced to when he committed the assault on me. After transporting this individual to the county jail he assaulted me again and had to be subdued by several corrections officers. So now he has (2) charges of assault on me. This is now (2) violations of his parole. He was sentenced to (2) years probation for the assaults on me. As you can see I don't have much sympathy for criminals rights, but the liberals do. God Bless America.
You do a lot to emphasize the problems in our system (which I agree with) with your post but nothing to weaken my position. The fact that mere possession of drugs is a greater penalty than assault outlines the farce that is the war on drugs. I don't think anyone is arguing for weaker sentencing for criminals; quite the opposite in fact. If a person truly serves his time instead of it getting plea bargained down to nothing by the bleeding hearts, they should be truly "reformed" when they are released and if one can be proven to be reformed by actions there should be no reason to not restore their rights. Simply put: danger to others = in prison. No longer a danger = free with full rights.

As for your hypothetical about if you would use drugs and lose your employment as a police officer:

Because you have no right to be a police officer it's not a good example. If there is a condition of employment and you ignore it; then so be it. There are moral conditions for being a Supreme court justice for instance. They could be impeached for doing something immoral, even if legal.

My issue here is the state taking away natural rights. The state shouldn't be trusted with this; only the people.

Lastly, because one believes strongly in all of our rights doesn't mean they are a "liberal" (used in today's context).

CarryOpen

imported post

Justice402 wrote:
Twice now you've cited rights violations where there were none. I'm not sure you're understanding what "rights" are. Your rights are not violated just because in your mind assaulting a police officer should cost more than drug violations.

You should not be barred by law if you're convicted, though you surely may be barred by policy.

CarryOpen

imported post

By the way, considering how little Doug has posted here, I'd like to see if you can tell me about my politics. I've surely posted more words (none of which you have bothered to reply to) and given my opinion. What box do I fit in?

Justice402

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
By the way, considering how little Doug has posted here, I'd like to see if you can tell me about my politics. I've surely posted more words (none of which you have bothered to reply to) and given my opinion. What box do I fit in?
I guess I offended you since I didn't respond to any of your posts. You must feel your important since as you say Mr. Huffman has posted less. There's your response. You can go and gloat now.

CarryOpen

imported post

Justice402 wrote:
CarryOpen wrote:
I guess I offended you since I didn't respond to any of your posts. You must feel your important since as you say Mr. Huffman has posted less. There's your response. You can go and gloat now.
As I suspected, you haven't replied to any of my posts because you have no reasonable answers or support to your opposing opinions. I never gloat others' misfortunes.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Ummmm..... People? Why do these threads keep digressing into bash sessions? I think Justice402 just wanted to say he agreed with us. Why can't we keep it civil (that means all of us)? If someone says something you disagree with, why not share opinions without aggression? Let's focus on making this a positive forum.

Thank you for your support, Mr. Justice (or officer Justice), of our rights. Good to have a man behind a badge behind the citizens. It seems as though "your type" of cops are fewer and more far between. Thank you for your service to this country.

BTW... I would probably have my weapon aimed at the robber until the police got there and then immediately (yet slowly) lay on the ground and slide my weapon across the floor. I'd rather give up my right for a few minutes then get shot.:)

Justice402

imported post

I came on this site to commend everyone for their position on open carrying. My intention was not to get into a pi$$ing match with anyone. That being said I guess its time to move on.